main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Twilight] Creative Accounting--Bella and the Cullens discuss tuition--Eclipse era humor

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DarthIshtar, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Charlie wasn?t the fancy type, but he made something of a special effort on what he considered to be special occasions.  One of them had been graduation, but things like birthdays tended to earn me a pizza.  I knew he was proud of my Ivy League acceptance when he went all-out and got Chinese food, egg rolls and all.

Edward and Alice were, of course, invited and the three of us played along with Charlie?s excitement, talking about everything from dorms to plans for Thanksgiving break.  Charlie, who had never strayed far from Forks, seemed to enjoy the idea of having an excuse to fly to New Hampshire for a mid-semester visit.

I tried not to fidget, but it was hard to see Charlie so excited about something that was never going to happen.  I was almost relieved when the inevitable question came up about finances.  No one would think less of me for waiting until I had enough money for the first year. 

?So,? Charlie said in a slightly nervous voice, ?Dartmouth.  Guess we?ll have to crack open my retirement fund after all.?

?Don?t be ridiculous,? I said flatly.  ?I?ve been checking into financial aid??

?Charlie,? Edward interrupted before I could give him the rest of my flimsy excuse.  ?I spent half the spring force-feeding Bella applications.  You don?t really think I forgot scholarship applications, do you??

Charlie looked nearly as relieved as he did when he found out that Edward and I weren?t having a shotgun wedding.  No matter that I had never seen anything of the sort.  If I had been the one telling the lie, my ears would have gone red long before now.

?So you?ve heard back from one of them??

Alice coughed something that sounded suspiciously like ?Pacific Northwest Trust? and snuck another piece of sweet and sour pork onto my plate.  I took that excuse to stuff my face and let Edward invent the answer.

?Not yet,? he said mildly, ?but she?s eligible for everything from merit scholarships to student loans.  We?ll probably know how bad tuition?s going to be in a couple of weeks.?

?Plus I?ve saved some money in my bank account,? I reminded Charlie pointedly.

?I want to help,? he said as obstinately as possible.

?Don?t worry,? Alice piped up.  ?Bella?s going to need a whole new wardrobe for Dartmouth.  If you want??

?No,? all three of us chorused.

I knew that Alice would find a way to make me her cashmere-wearing, silk-loving, polyester-eschewing Dartmouth Barbie somehow, but she just wouldn?t have Charlie?s cooperation in the matter.  She looked slightly disgruntled at that, but she would have her vengeance for the wedding.

?I?ll let you know,? I promised. 

?Good,? he said approvingly.   ?Now, have whatever you want?I think I?ve eaten enough for a week?but the Mariners are on in two minutes??

?Go,? I urged him, relieved to have that conversation over with.  ?I?ll be back by curfew.?

He was halfway to the living room with moo-shu pork and two potstickers by the end of the sentence.  I finished off the food on my plate as quickly as possible, did the dish and turned expectantly back to face the unblushing liars at my kitchen table.

?So,? I said, ?scholarship applications??

?I wasn?t lying,? Edward said blandly.  ?A few of those were, just in case Charlie checked into that.?

?Huh,? I responded, not convinced.  ?What sort of scholarships??

?Garden variety,? he said evasively.  ?I?ll tell you more once we?re home.?

Once were there, however, Alice took over her usual role of incessant wedding planner. Since it was only days since I had consented to let her plan my first stage of the happily-ever-after, she still had a lot of ?fundamental questions.? Edward tried to sneak away for a bit while she had me cornered, but I countered by letting her follow me following him around. I figured at least one of them would eventually give up and answer my questions.

?Dresden Dolls??

Since Alice's last questions were about the allowed music for the reception, I assumed this was a band.

?I've ne

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey Ish, can you please edit the title to folllow the [Fandom in Brackets] rule?

Thanks hun! :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] This is really cute!! I love all your Twilight stuff.

4. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Oh I enjoyed that SO much!!!!!! LOL....perfectly in character and soooo entertaining. And the evanescence part was priceless...I just happened to be listening to them, and "my immortal" came on just as I started typing this! Fate or coolness?

Awesome!!!
    Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.