main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Twilight] Nothing But Blue Skies Do I See--Renee and Bella go shopping pre-Forks

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DarthIshtar, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I?ve never been a fan of shopping and Renee only makes things worse. The woman, bless her absent-minded little heart, will go into a store looking for a new dress and come out with a George Foreman grill, six tubes of lipstick or three jewelry extenders and not a single article of clothing. She would then remember to pay rent and return the grill, three of the tubes of lipstick and one of the extenders?and still forget the dress.

Today?s task was to keep her on-track long enough to find winter clothing. We really hadn?t meant to leave this until the last weekend, but Renee had this bizarre fear of shopping during the holiday season. She also maintained that the best bargains were to be found two weeks before Labor Day and three weeks into March and that was what counted.

It was now late on a Saturday afternoon, we only had another hour before we had to leave for one of Phil?s games and we still hadn?t gotten much further than the long-sleeved t-shirts that would probably be my friends for most of the year.

?Bella,? Renee trilled. ?Come try this perfume!?

?Sweaters, Mom, sweaters,? I said through gritted teeth.

?But you?ll need something to attract the boys,? she reasoned, sniffing enthusiastically at her wrist. ?Just come and try this one. I think you?ll like it.?

?It?s Forks,? I reminded her kindly. ?The guys are probably turned on by??

I broke off, coughing explosively as she sprayed J.Lo Glow straight into my face and then in the general direction of my pulse points.

?Isn?t that great?? she sighed.

?Divine,? I sputtered. ?As I was saying, it?s Forks. The guys probably don?t like anything that doesn?t smell like pine trees, rain or cheap raincoat.?

She looked slightly disappointed that I didn?t share her enthusiasm, but it wasn?t in her nature to sulk. Instead of being crestfallen, she found something else to fixate on.

?Sweaters!? she echoed me. ?I bet they have some great post-Christmas sales on those.?

At least she was back on topic.

?What colors do you want??

?I?m looking for quality not variety,? I reminded her. ?Can we just stay away from anything that will make me blend in with the forest, clouds or mud??

?Deal,? she said approvingly.

As if I were the parent and she the overenthusiastic child, she grabbed my hand and pulled me over to a likely-looking rack.

?I think blue is your color,? she informed me, holding up a dark-blue turtleneck. ?It brings out your skin tone.?

?Blue works,? I said patiently. ?Just not in turtlenecks.?

?Hmmm??

Renee rifled through the rack, finding every shade of blue in crewneck, v-neck, cowlneck and mock-turtleneck that Sears could possibly supply. Apparently, she wasn?t worried so much about size as selection. In an attempt to take control, I did some browsing of my own.

?How about this tan one?? I suggested, holding up one that was much more my style.

?I like it,? she said. ?Grab a few of that color and take these into the dressing room. I?ll look for long pants.?

?But, Mom, they only let you have six items at a?oof!?

The last bit was a response to her shoving her entire stack into my arms.

?No one?s looking,? Renee insisted. ?Just duck in there and try on everything.?

?Mmk!? I protested weakly.

?And you?ll need a dressy shirt for the first day of school?and some galoshes!? she concluded. ?Now, scoot!?

I craned my neck just to see that I was heading in the right direction. Of course, I dropped three of the sweaters and knocked over a stack of jeans before making it there, but my mom was right. No one was at the fitting rooms to argue with how many things I was bringing in. I?d just have to be polite enough to put them all back before we left.

It was quick going. Most of the things Renee had pulled off the rack were in the wrong size or just made me look like death warmed over. She had gone through a phase with color theory and had, for a while, worn nothing but red because she wanted more confidence and passion in her life. If I remembered her lectures correctly, blue would either make me calm an

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh dear, poor Bella. That's like torture for her. Totally understand that, since I'm not a fan of shopping myself. :p

?I think I like these boots,? I said kindly. ?Can you find them in my size??

At least she tried more than I do. :p

edit -- BTW, love the title. [face_love] Now I have the song stuck in my head! 8-}

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Awww, cute! I love Bella getting the boots to please her mom (like Idri, that's more than i'd ever do - but the again, my mom would never try to get me those :p ). This is a little sad, knowing that Bella's leaving Renee, but very sweet.

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed this, Ish. From the Bella's backhanded comments about the people of Forks and their proclivities to Renee and he manic child-like flightiness, you really capture the characters.

I was very impressed with how well you capture Bella's voice. Her sarcasm as well as her self depracating nature. Bravo.

As if I were the parent and she the overenthusiastic child, she grabbed my hand and pulled me over to a likely-looking rack.

This is an insightful line describing Renee and her relationship to Bella.

Good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.