main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Two of A Kind -- (creche Qui/Dooku) ~~COMPLETED 7/7~~ Cover Art Added 9/29~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *grins* Have I mentioned how cute Qui is? And Dooku... he's rather different from who we see in AOTC and your other stories. :p :p

Great chapter... and sweet snow is good!!! :p :p :)

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Now, listen, what did I say about the "W" key on my computer? LOL! And how did I get so far behind?

I love it. Interesting personalities, and I loved the first visit to the "sweet snow" shop. Poor Dooku, he's lost & he knows it!

:)

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Sweet! Qui-Gon is a perfectly believable little one. Aw, poor little fellow, getting "sticked." No fun.

TOMORROW, Dooku? Wow, you are spending a LOT of time with this child. Has it been every day so far?

Great job!

4. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    EEEEEEEE. SOOOOOOO CUUUUTTTTEEEEE!

Haha... Qui-Gon got a brain freeze. MOre!

5. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Aww! How very sweet :)!! Did some of the inspiration come from your job? Very nicely done and what a better light for relationships within the Temple to be seen in!

And Qui-Gon definitely has Dooku wrapped around his finger already O:) but then again, aren't we all wrapped around his finger [face_mischief]

I just hope Dooku can survive the 'why' years :eek: :p

Great job Layren!

Rogue

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    CodeName_Targeter Yes you have mentioned that ;) I'm so glad you like my Dooku here. It's been hard trying to write him as a good guy but he wasn't always evil :) Thanks for reading!

Mistress_Renata Yep Dooku's a goner :p Qui's got him wrapped around his little finger ;) Thanks for reading!!

maychorian I hate needles more than anything else so I know little Qui wouldn't have liked it. Hehe. Yeah Dooku is definetely going out of his way to spend time with this boy but it's partially under Yoda's orders with his punishment and partially not ;)

darhassant Yep .. he should listen to Dooku ;) Thanks for reading!

Rogue A lot of it does actually since I deal with kids on a regular basis. And we all are suckers aren't we? :D Oh boy those will be interesting :p

Thanks for reading!

Announcement I'm going to Florida over the weekend to see my husband's brother's daughter get married so keep us in your prayers :) That being said, this next update will probaably be my last update for the week. Thanks guys you're the best!

7. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Awww...*huggles Layren for such a great story*
    Qui-Gon is sooooo cute, and you're writing him and "Dooky" great. Well done, and more soon please!

8. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Darksaber You snuck in while I was posting! Thanks for the hugs! I'm really glad this is going so well! As for more updates here's another!! Enjoy!

Chapter Five

Several weeks passed and the contact between Qui-Gon and Dooku had lessened significantly. Part of the fact was because his punishment had ended and Dooku was somewhat relieved not to have a three-year-old tagalong trailing behind him constantly. He knew Qui-Gon missed him when he wasn?t in the crèche, but it couldn?t be helped. He was a Jedi apprentice for a reason, and it did not include playing child?s games all day. He was anxious to be assigned a new mission. Already he had been on Coruscant for too long.

He was heading back to his quarters he shared with his mentor late that night after rigorous training, when he felt a spike of terror along with a panicked cry. /Dooku!/

Dooku froze in mid step. Who would be calling out to him like that?

He recognized Qui-Gon?s Force signature when he probed deeper, but Qui-Gon was only three-and-a-half. Certainly that was much too young to be able to speak mentally? wasn?t it? He stood there indecisively, wondering what to do. He wanted nothing more than to shower and go to bed, but could he seriously get any sleep, especially if the boy kept calling out to him?

How long he stood there, frozen with indecision in the middle of the corridor he didn?t know, but at last he groaned and turned around to go down to the crèche. The cry came again and it was even more panicked. Dooku picked up his pace after hurriedly comming his mentor and telling him what was going on. At last he arrived at the darkened entryway to the nursery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lights were off when Dooku entered. The only light came from the crèche Master?s office where the Master on duty was. Master Rayeln looked surprised to see him this late at night.

Hastily he explained what he was there for. She frowned, but did not ask questions, rather pointed out where Qui-Gon?s bunk was. Grateful for her discretion in keeping her questions to herself, Dooku thanked her and headed over. He pushed open the door to where Qui-Gon?s age mates slept and found the boy in his bed, tossing fitfully in his sleep.

Moving quickly to the boy he shook his shoulder gently. ?Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon, wake up,? he said warmly.

With a shriek of absolute terror Qui-Gon came awake, sitting up abruptly. His eyes were wide and terrified and tears were coursing down his cheeks. He looked up and noticed Dooku standing over him. He grabbed him around the neck and began to sob into his shoulder.

Dooku rubbed his back soothingly. ?Shh. It?s alright little one. You just had a bad dream.?

At length Qui-Gon?s sobs slowly died to rhythmic whimpers. He looked at Dooku with his watery eyes and tear-stained cheeks. ?I had a bad dream,? he whimpered.

?I know. Do you want to tell me about it?? Dooku asked gathering the boy in his arms and going to sit by the wall.

?It was dark. Everything was dark and ?and..,? he paused and hiccupped. ?Dark swallowed me and then it swallowed the galaxy too!? He finished, looking like in that moment exactly what he was, a frightened, young child.

Dooku blinked in astonishment, not having expected that. He glanced down at the boy and began to rock him in his arms. ?That was just a dream, Qui,? he murmured.

?Are you sure?? he asked in a small voice.

?Qui-Gon, do you trust the Jedi?? Dooku asked as he rubbed his back.

?Yes,? came an even smaller voice.

?Do you trust me?? He queried.

Another positive reply.

Dooku smiled down at the boy in the dark. ?Then trust us. They won?t let that happen, I promise.?

?Okay,? he said in a slightly stronger whisper.

?Can I put you back in your bed now?? Dooku asked.

Qui-Gon gave a small nod and climbed back under his covers as Dooku gently placed him in his bed. ?Rest peacefully, little one. The Jedi are watching over you.?

At that Qui-Gon smiled. He was reassured.

?Would a light help you sleep??

Qui-Gon nodded and Doo

9. darshaassant

Mar 13, 2005
    OOH... so cute! I see the future bond there!

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awwwww [face_love] isn't he such a sweetie!! Love the man I do! See Dooku isn't the meany most folks put him out to be! :p

Glad you are letting folks see the better side of him. Instead of having me be all mean with him in our fics together! Folks are going to think I'm the reason why I portray him as a mean gruff man! [face_laugh] But really it's been you that made me portray him as such! [face_laugh] At least I have been able to give you that outlook that Dooku isn't all that bad! The man juz needs some extra TLC is all ;) and in a dignified way at that!

Great chapters Master! It was well worth the extra minutes to wake and calm the boy. Now he has 2 that loves him! [face_love]

11. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    "Kay. Night night Dook. Love you.?
    Ok, I'm going to explode with the cuteness! And Dooku's being so....un-Dookuish...And actually nice! I thought Jedi were taught to not be scared of nightmares from a really early age though?
    Lol, just joking. This is brilliant and I love it.

12. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Really, really wonderful. Dooku's hesitation and final decision to go after the boy was well-written. And poor little Qui! What an awful dream!

And it was terribly sad to know that in the end, Dooku's promises would be broken.

Goooooood mush. [face_love] Keep it up. Have fun in Florida!

13. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    I know. If Qui-Gon hadn't died at Naboo, he'd be heartbroken.

I wish Dooku hadn't turned to the dark side. He would've made a great Jedi, and could've helped in the Clone wars and stuff. I also wish that poor Qui-Gon hadn't died. Or Obi-Wan. Or Yoda.

*sighs*

Lucas is so unfair!

Have a good time, Layren, you'll be in my thoughts.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    ?It was dark. Everything was dark and ?and..,? he paused and hiccupped. ?Dark swallowed me and then it swallowed the galaxy too!? He finished, looking like in that moment exactly what he was, a frightened, young child.

Dooku blinked in astonishment, not having expected that. He glanced down at the boy and began to rock him in his arms. ?That was just a dream, Qui,? he murmured.

?Are you sure?? he asked in a small voice.

Oooh, nice foreshadowing! :D

And to echo basically everyone, AWWW! That was so cute at the end!!! [face_love]

Wonderful job!

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Foreshadowing on several levels.

16. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    I'm in agreement with everyone else in that his dream/vision was definitely foreshadowing :eek: and heartbreaking on so many levels :_|

Oh and a bond is already forming between these two! How sweet [face_love]! Of course I wonder what Dooku's Master and the Council are going to think of this?

So are you going to tie this in with any of the stories you and Kynstar have been working on?

Wonderful job!
    Rogue

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable, Layren. I liked that they had a bond so soon in their relationship. Lovely.

18. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Awwwwwww!!! That's so sweet! :D

Little kids are so adorable! [face_love]

More soon? :D :p

19. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Happy May 19th everyone! Hope y'all get to see ROTS today!

20. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey guys I haven't forgotten about you all! Life has been extremely busy this last week for me with the premier since I'm Fanforce president of our local chapter.

So bear with me and I will have an update for you hopefully early this week!

21. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    I believe Layren has forgotten about us :(

22. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I haven't! I really haven't! I'm having a hard time with the next chapter so Kynstar has graciously offered to help me with it -- I'm sorry it's taking so long! Please be patient .. it's almost completed :)

23. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey guys! Sorry it's taken me so long to get this update ready. Darth Real Life was hectic this week plus Darth Mental Block with this particular chapter.

Special thanks goes to Kynstar for helping with Dooku's character for this chapter! I could not have ironed this out without her!

To make up for the lack of updates and replies here is an extra long post for you all!

Chapter Six

Dooku resisted the sigh that threatened to leave him. He knew very well that if he allowed the slip of concentration he would be rewarded with a smack from the wooden walking stick.

Frowning, the youth rolled his left shoulder slightly. Holding Qui-Gon had stiffened the muscles in his shoulder.

I can't focus... And this time he couldn't stop the quiet breath that left his lips.

Yoda frowned disapprovingly. "Distracted you are. No place here does distraction have."

Looking down at his clasped hands, he fidgeted with the sleeves of his robe. The look was one being chastised. "I'm sorry Master...it is due to what happened last night..."

Yoda sighed and ended the meditation for the day. "Thought it was, I did. News I have for you that like you will not."

The Padawan's head shot up, as brown eyes locked on yellow green ones. "What is it...?"

"Listen you should -- my idea this was not before angry you get. Called before the Council today you are and Initiate Jinn."

Dooku blinked once as confusion crossed his face further. "Whatever for? I have done nothing wrong. I comforted the child last night... should I have not?" The youth's eyes narrowed slightly. I knew it... I should not have went...

Setting his jaw, he lifted his chin slightly to look down his nose at his Master.

"A good thing it was that you went. Needed you he did. However -- concerned is the Council about the bond forming between you when Jinn is of such a young age. Concerned they are for the chances he has to become a padawan of anyone else with his attachment to you. My idea this is not."

Dark eyes flashed as Dooku got up from his kneeling position to walk a few feet away.

Crossing his arms, he kept his back to the small Jedi Master. "It was your idea, Master. You wanted me to work in the crèche." The young man was trying his hardest to keep his voice level.

"They are worried about the fact that the two of us are of the Living Force...aren't they?" Turning, he uncrossed his arms to eye his mentor. "They don't like it do they?" The edge was heard this time.

Yoda whacked his shins smartly. "Rein in your anger you will," he snapped. "When calmer are you discuss it with you I shall."

A curse nearly left his lips, but he stopped it not wanting to further irritate his Master. "So it is true."

Crossing his arms, he closed his eyes to slow his breathing. This is ridiculous...why would the Council care?

After achieving some calm, he reopened his eyes to stare down at the Master. "Well? It is, isn't it?"

"No. Reason for this that is not. Know I do that a good match you are for Initiate Jinn. That was why sent you were. Disagrees do some on the Council. Power to overrule them, I have not. Called before them you are to discuss this bond forming between you."

"He is three years old! How can they even think of him and me... even consider that possibility of him ever being my Padawan? He is only a child with an infatuation with me..."

"Search your feelings you should on this matter," Yoda said gently.

Turning his head away abruptly, Dooku pushed the option away. "There are none to search." He would not appear weak in front of his Master.

"Too much pride you have my apprentice. Feelings there are."

Grinding his teeth, he turned to say something but hesitated at seeing the warmth in those large luminous eyes.

Swallowing, his shoulders slumped slightly and he bowed his head. "The boy said he loved me last night..." His voice was a quiet whisper in the room.

"When is the meeting, Master?" The youth asked, clearing his throat.

"Early this morning."

24. darshaassant

Mar 13, 2005
    EEE! *faints from overdose of cutesiness* Purple lakes! Cool!

25. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    My dearest Layren, that was simply marvelous...Well worth the wait....More soon!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.