main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Tython in The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Glitterstimm, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Hearing Ahsoka mention Tython was very intriguing to me, I wonder what everyone's expectations are for what it might be like. Situated deep within the Galactic Core, it holds a legendary status as one the earliest locations for Jedi activity, though I'm not up to date on its status in the nu canon. I have some fond memories of leveling up Jedi characters there in The Old Republic mmorpg, but I imagine any version we see will not have hordes of padawans running around.

I'm envisioning a supernaturally beautiful land of mountains and valleys, like the Swiss Alps, Himalayas or even Yosemite. For those of you more knowledgeable about the nu canon, what can we expect?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do like the look from SWTOR and I think they should go with that

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    First and foremost, I am probably most excited for Grogu to be able to make a choice for himself for once regarding his future, once they actually reach Tython.

I'm not familiar with the planet, but I can't wait to see the architecture of another ancient Jedi Temple; I loved the look of both the Ahch-To and Lothal Temples, and I can't wait to see how this stacks up - The Mandalorian's design team has been absolutely killing it with just about everything on this series so I have absolute faith in them there. The "Seeing Stone" sounds like a concept out of a high fantasy novel, a la The Lord of the Rings, so that also excites me a lot.

4. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I wonder how much they're going to pull from the old Je'daii story, and bring it back into canon. But, they also have to be careful of what and how much they do bring back into canon. Too much without the proper context and it cheapens it to just another cool Jedi place. Too little, and it ignores the rich story that was the origins of the Jedi and Sith, and further eliminates a story from becoming canon.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its canon appearance is not the same as the EU from what I recall. It more reminded me of EU's Rhen Var but a lot more low budgeted. Unless they ignore that Marvel comic and include more EU things to it. But Tython was not particularly special to either Vader or the Sith oddly, he was just trying to hunt down the Rebels, this occurred before Hoth. The Empre didn't even know about the derelict planet.

Ahsoka's line reminded me of Yoda's go to Malachor line in Rebels.

6. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Hmmm, another thought. I can't speak for any Canon/Legends stuff, but it would be interesting if Tython turns out to be the site of an ancient Jedi vs Mandalorian battle. That would be poignant to delve into a bit in this show in particular, given the unique bond of its two main characters.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  7. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    "Tython" is a really cool name, and I love the mystery of the Deep Core.

It's interesting that The Mandalorian could be our best insight yet into early Jedi history in the new canon, since TLJ didn't tell us much.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Mind you I don’t think the show is going to tell us much either

CrazyOldJedi and RetropME like this.
  9. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Yeah most likely not, I do hope we can at least get some cool visions when Grogu gets to the Seeing Stone though.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope we get a flashback to the temple at the seeing stone

Shamear likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Or legions of Flesh Raiders that Mando has to dispatch.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I hope we get something a bit more developed than bare bones Ahch-to, which was barely anything other than an atmosphere and mood.

I'm confident we'll have something strange and wonderful. With details and depth.

Bor Mullet and episodenone like this.
  13. Kowakian Kebab

Kowakian Kebab Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 5, 2020
    Really liked the stories from the old EU about Tython, the Je'daii and the Rakata, and thought they were completely brutal as an enemy. Dark side users, slavers, using force sensitives as energy for their technology, cannibals. Also encounter them after long after their empire has collapsed in KOTOR. Bits and bobs of them have been made canon like, Rakata Prime, or Lehon as it was once known now exists in canon, one of them popped up in a Poe Dameron comic and the descriptions of the ancient computers at the Jakku observatory in Empire's End made me think of the Rakata star maps you visit in KOTOR as well. I'm sort of hoping we get something along those lines and see some things that are really ancient, like tens of thousands of years old, something that at the very least predates the Jedi and the Sith. If I was being greedy, I'd like the whole world to look like that, not just the temple.

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Din will be walking around the ruins, past walls full of carved Jedi text and then he'll say;

"Looks interesting, but I can't read this language."

15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Or maybe Ahsoka is sending Djarin and Grogu out there as bait and its a wild goose chase..

16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    As bait? That doesn't sound like Ahsoka at all. She is sending them there to allow Grogu to put his fate into his own hands, because she knows better than anyone else how things can play out when your fate is decided for you.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just think about what you just wrote.

RetropME, DarthFixxxer and bstnsx704 like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think we might see Tython as this ancient jedi temple and how the jedi order once was. Maybe we see flashes of backstory ot the planet. Maybe Grogu gets a vision like Anakin, maybe it si soo strong like Mortis and we see things not seen beforel

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Sounds like Grogu's Cave of Dagobah moment. But if making contact with Jedi is the whole point, then its strange thats not something Ahsoka wants to do herself although she says there is so few left which could be sarcasm or she knows a few that are still around. Couldn't she find Ezra this way?! I don't really want this show to turn into Rebels 2.0 but with all the meets and greets its almost the same by now. That said, Grogu reaching out like this would bring it to attention of Dark Side characters. Rey's awakening was felt by Snoke and Kylo Ren. Moreover by TFA Snoke believed Luke was the last Jedi. TROS places Ahsoka's TCW voice firmly among the Jedi, but this Ahsoka is not very Jedi-like.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  20. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Who is to say that she didn't already? She seemed to know quite well how the "Seeing Stone" worked when she explained it. I wouldn't be shocked if that was one of her first steps in her quest, and Ezra was unable to answer.

I very much disagree with this. Ahsoka here feels like a natural extension of her at the end of Rebels, in that she is this Ronin Jedi figure (even if she technically left the order) that fundamentally recognizes the flaws of the Jedi's past and wants to continue progressing beyond those flaws. First and foremost in her mind is her mission, to find Ezra, and in order to reach that she is helping to liberate this community that a pawn of Thrawn's has enslaved. That all sounds very Jedi-like to me. Some people cite her refusing to take in Grogu as being not very Jedi-like, but I see it as quite the opposite; Ahsoka knows better than just about anyone what can happen if ones fate is imposed upon them, like it was with Anakin, and instead she is offering Grogu the choice to pick his own path rather than sever his attachment to Din without him having a say in the matter and thus, potentially, creating another monster a la Vader. Ahsoka is more Jedi-like than most actual Jedi in her ability to recognize this and act on it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ahsoka is also up against enemies who are brutally torturing, murdering and oppressing (to the max) a bunch of innocent people. As a matter of policy. Extreme measures are justified in this case.

Shamear and Wilhuff's Slippers like this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I want to see the Jedi Temple area as it appears in SWTOR, but reimagined to fit how it would look like 3600 years later.

Abandoned, with many plants covering all of the Temple, part of the Temple broken, many stones outside on the steps missing, perhaps some signs of ancient battles having happened her, some ruins and generally a version of the planet similar to how we got to see old Valyria in that one GoT episode that was epic.

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Vader Bob likes this.
  25. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    The Je’daii stories are some of my favorites but the pace and runtime of this show don’t lend well to the possibility of really exploring Tython in any detail. I do hope it at least touches on the internal balance of the force that Je’daii practiced vs. a strict light vs. dark. I think that could have bigger implications on the future of the franchise.

whostheBossk and Kowakian Kebab like this.