main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Tython in The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Glitterstimm, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can appreciate the realistic take on ruins that are approximately 25 000 years old (which is crazy old), but I agree that something more fantastical would've been appropriate.

CISMestizo and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    While there were some ruins in certain parts of Tython, the vast majority of structures were still standing and were pretty glorious, and old looking at the same time.

Having said that, we just never saw the Jedi Temple on Tython, we saw a weird momunent at a vantage point that is used for a certain kind of ritual.

3. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Tython was minimalist in the end, though that’s not surprising considering the show. But the seeing stone reminded me of other Force-activated tech in the Lothal and Malachor temples. Likely all it does is send out a signal to other Jedi. But if the Mandalorian and Grogu return to Tython, it’s possible there is more of the temple ruins we haven’t seen. Possible, but unlikely.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Just imagine how much more interesting the fighting would have been if it had taken place in the midst of strange ruins. Definitely a missed aesthetic opportunity, as well as completely missing the chance to create subtext.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  6. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    They didn't do anything or show anything that would negate it, but they did gloss over the history of Tython. Just pulled the name into canon for their own use. Made it into just another planet with a Jedi temple on it.

IgnusDei and Glitterstimm like this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was basically inserted to be there Amon Sûl ambush.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s been canon for some time

9. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Good call! I've been thinking about that for days and the parallel between Gideon and Saruman "creating" their stronger troops

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    And we have the Dark Troopers being the Nazgul closing in .

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I meant Amon Sul before, not Amon Hen. Which used to have a seeing stone (Palantir) on it. Great reference. And we haven’t seen all of Tython. That was just one seeing stone atop a mountain. There’s likely a lot more to the planet.

12. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    What local from DOTJ do you suspect aligns with the seeing stone is what we saw with in the show? Also how do we retcon the deep core/outer rim mistake?

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You assume canon cares about legends, which is naive. It's no mistake. Canon has been at odds with the EU since TCW, Mandalorian is no exception, and shouldn't be limited to the stories that existed before the reset.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  14. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    I know very well the differences between canon and legends, and how they don’t care about the old EU. Its just fun to speculate if we can figure out which temple the seeing stone could have been.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Perhaps the only disappointing thing in season 2 was Tython, and Rodriguez’s fan film direction.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Tython might have been the most Earth-like planet since it was one of the few actual location shoots, but at least its color palette wasn't muted by another shade of grey like so many of the other locales (Nevarro, Maldo Kreis, Trask, Corvus, Karthon).

clone commander bossk likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I love everything that happens in that episode, and there are some neat shots here and there (the reveal of armored Boba comes to mind), but I must agree that the look of Tython, combined with Rodriguez's rather amateurish direction does lower the score for The Tragedy.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. There are some undoubtedly fun fist-pumping moments. Rodriguez knows how to deliver that. But that can be delivered while also not looking like a movie made by my teenaged nephew during a hike.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Only purpose of going to Tython was getting to a Dark Empire-esque ancient Jedi mediation chamber.