main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga [UDC VIII]Drabble-licious--Week 9 posted 5/24

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Aww, thank you so much! They're just such fun and fabulous characters to write about, with such a range of emotions, and I love that at the heart of their story is their bond as a family and their love for one another. [face_love]
    Once again, Zeb + baby= SQUEE! Jacen's not quite a baby anymore; he's got a mind of his own now, so watch out Uncle Zebby! Despite all the travails of being the babysitter to a Force-powered toddler, Zeb comes through with flying colors. The persistence and planning he learned in the military comes in handy (and I remember those days...dealing with a toddler can feel like a battle at times!) But he's always got that softer side just below the cranky surface and he's there for snuggles and stories as much as the Serious Business of feeding and bedtime.
    Nothing's sweeter than a sleeping kiddo, especially sleeping next to a caretaker who's sleeping the sleep of the just. ;) And, awwww, I hadn’t thought of that, but yes, it is rather like Kanan and Hera’s snuggly date night [face_love] Zeb really does deserve that kiss for all he’s gone through during the evening, and I’m sure Hera knows how lucky she and Jacen are to have such a devoted space!uncle in their family.
    I’m sure Sabine can appreciate it, both as a warrior and an artist. He’s brought bucket bashing to its pinnacle. Hey, if you’re going to do it, do it right...and have some fun at the same time!

You know, I think I’d just as soon leave it to the imagination, because the carnage must have been horrific. To wipe out an entire species...it just beggars the imagination to think that the Empire would commit such an atrocity. For Zeb to wake up surrounded by that horror, his heart must truly have disintegrated.

Maybe I’ll write a story about Lira San someday....or maybe I’ll leave that up to @Findswoman :) The Lasat could hardly do less for two of their own after hearing their story [face_love]

I think Jacen’s arrival does bring some consolation to the Spectres. It doesn’t erase their loss, but his birth gives them some hope and joy after all they’ve been through. They’re still a family, and Uncle Zeb is going to make sure that Jacen knows his father.
    Jacen’s just a toddler—he’s testing his limits and seeing what he can do, because that’s the Serious Work of a toddler. Kids are born scientists—“Hmm, what happens if I do this? Ok, what if I do it again? And again?” And as for the spoiler—it seems to be his lot in life, doesn’t it? :p

I guess toddlers are born Rebels, too. Especially ones from Rebellious space!families! Yep, Zeb’s a quick study—good thing, too.

Even the most stubborn kid will eat when they get hungry—maybe just one carrot stick, but they’ll eat. And I can neither confirm nor deny being tempted to use Zeb’s methods on my own kid.

Aww, Zeb would make such a good dad...stern when necessary, but with a softer touch when that’s called for (paging @Findswoman to do that story, someday ;))

He’s family, after all. And how could she not want to kiss the big purple lug when he’s sleeping so angelically.

[quoteProbably one of the most original drabble sets, ever! =D=[/QUOTE]Thank you! This was my first attempt at telling a story with linked drabbles, and I have to say it was fun!

2. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    So continuing with the Purple Prose, Week 13 is all about Zeb’s irrepressible little brother, Shai! :D

Talk:
    “Zebby! Zebby! Zebby! Zeb! Wake up! C’mon, get up already! It’s the Storm’s End festival today! We gotta get there early before they run out of konculor ears and warra nuts! Ooh, you think you can help me do the ring toss? I wanna win a belt knife like you did last year...and I am so old enough for one. This is my seventh dust season and you had one when you were six, Priska said so. Hey, let’s win a new scarf for Ma—I bet she’d like that! We could do it, Zebby, you and me—Orrelios brothers together!”

Silence
    Shai takes the letter from his mother with trembling hands; it’s the news they’ve all been waiting for, the results of his entry exam to the Royal Lasat Military Academy. He carefully slices open the envelope with a claw and pulls out the paper inside. His eyes go wide as he reads it.

“Well?” Herleva demands, her stern voice quavering just noticeably. “What’s it say?”

Shai holds the letter out to Zeb, who whoops “ACCEPTED!”

His mother and father embrace him with cheers and joyful laughter, while Zeb launches into the Honor Guard hymn.

But for once Shai is speechless.

Smile
    Shai’s always had the most impossibly wide grin. When he was a kit, it seemed too big for his face, and everything made him smile, from finding a particularly colorful stone to chasing Uncle Nereshai’s goats across the field. When he got older, the impish smile took on a rakish cast that made girls vie to have it bestowed on them, though Shai was unaware of its effect.

Zeb watches his kit brother wave from top of the Warrior. Zeb’s smile is as face-stretchingly huge as any that Shai’s ever grinned when he calls down, “Look Zebby, I did it!”

Laugh
    “Garazeb, watch your brother while I finish dinner.”

“Aw, Ma! What am I s’posed to do with him?” Zeb looks at his baby brother with distaste. Shai is hardly more than a chubby purple lump; he can’t even walk very well, let alone play smashball or climb trees or do anything fun. Zeb screws up his face and sticks out his tongue at him.

The kit laughs.

Surprised, Zeb sticks his tongue out again. He’s rewarded by another gale of giggles. Shai claps his hands. “Zebby!”

Zeb grins at his newfound power. Maybe this could be fun after all.

Cry
    There aren’t enough tears to shed for everything Shai has lost. His world. His people. His family. His freedom.

He’s one of a few dozen Lasat who were taken for the Imperial work camps. They’re lucky to be alive, the slave masters say. Lucky to be beaten and wear shock collars to control them.

Though he’s lost everything, Shai holds his duty as an Honor Guard sacred—to protect those who can’t protect themselves, even if it means he’s lashed for it. As long as he lives, the honor of Lasan does, too.

But sometimes it’s enough to make the most stalwart guard weep.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SHAI! SHAI! [:D] [:D] =D=

Smile and Laugh made me laugh. :D Silence -- what a time to celebrate!

Talk: Yes, Shai can certainly do that. ;)

Cry: More [:D] !!!!

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Shai, sweet spunky Shai! [face_dancing] I just love this character—always have, ever since you first introduced him in The Beginning of Honor (again, congratulations on its many well-deserved awards). This is a perfect bunch of prompts for him and his happy-go-lucky, irrepressible nature, and I love how it covers every stage of his life. We see him as a baby, as a “chubby purple lump,” with his cheery nature evident even now in the way he laughs and claps at big bro’s antics. (The beginning of his adoration of “Zebby”!) We see the same irrepressible Storms’ End excitement that captured this forum’s heart at the start of BOH—some nine years earlier! :D We see Shai’s own Warrior climb, with both his and his big brother’s pride bursting through in their smiles. (Zeb has such wonderful smiles in Rebels, and I see it runs in the family. And it’s notable that Shai's climb goes a lot more smoothly than his big brother’s! [face_thinking] )

And for the one of the first times we see—and I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time—Shai as Honor Guard. I can totally see where that acceptance letter would be one of the only things in the entire universe that could throw him into a state of speechlessness! (I bet Zeb had a wonderful bass-baritone even then; you realize, of course, that I’m going to have to try to write this Honor Guard hymn now! :D ) “Cry” is absolutely heartwrenching—what an amazing counterpart to the end of the penultimate chapter of BOH. Shai’s irrepressible spirit is so, so close to being broken here, and understandably so. Yes, Shai too will always be an Honor Guard no matter what happens, and the ways and honor of Lasan will live on in him and Zeb—but he needs his grief and his tears, too. The strongest warrior has the tenderest heart, after all. <3 I will be very curious to see how Shai’s story continues.

Beautiful, wonderful set! I always love your “purple prose”; do keep it and these fantastic drabbles coming. @};- Apropos of which, something in your earlier response that I forgot to respond to earlier:

Ohmigosh, thank you… you, though, are the one who started it all with BOH. Your (award-winning) portrayal of him in that story is the gold standard—I’ve just been following in your footsteps. :zeb: @};-

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh yes, Shai can talk the hind leg off a rock goat, and he smiles and laughs almost as much; this set was made for him! Shai was just too much fun not to revisit, and I just had to save him from the Siege, even if he wasn’t quite as fortunate as Zeb. Shai does learn some restraint as he gets older, and with such strong role models, how could he be less than a true warrior of Lasan, even in the worst adversity?

Thank you! Shai is very dear to me; it nearly broke my heart when I realized that the spunky kit brother I’d created for Zeb was going to die in the Siege of Lasan—hence his survival in “Cry”. It may not be the happiest of fates, but where there’s life, there’s hope that someday the Orrelios brothers will be together again. I did try to capture Shai at different points in his life—and Zeb’s! (I love the thought of eight-year-old Zebby stuck watching Shai!) Shai’s climb did go more smoothly than Zeb’s, but Zeb did have some extenuating circumstances—and you notice it’s not some giggly girl Shai’s calling down to! I think he’s still oblivious of the Orrelios charm. :D :zeb:

Yes! You must definitely write the Honor Guard hymn! (Hums “From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli...”) Shai’s had some of the best role models there could be of warriors with tender hearts in Zeb and Herleva, and it’s that same tender heart that keeps him doing his duty as an Honor Guard out of compassion for the other survivors. He’s at that place where he’s mourned so much for what’s lost that he’s just bone-weary of it, but because he still has that honor, he’ll never be completely broken.

[face_blush] Well, thank you very much! I’m quite honored you think so, because I know how much you love our dear, purple lug and it’s been a pleasure to collaborate with you on these bits of “purple prose”. [:D]

6. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Week 16 features outtakes from Star Crossed from Mara’s perspective [face_love] :ezra:

First
    There’s something stirring in the Force that morning, like the electricity in the air before a storm. Mara senses it as she fills another round of caf mugs. It seems to be connected to her mission, her meeting with the mysterious Spectre Six, but somehow it’s bigger than that.

A Jedi is calm, she reminds herself, thumping the Café’s recalcitrant caf maker impatiently. Still, she can’t help but wonder what the Force has in store.

The electricity in the Force crackles when she hears the voice behind her: “Hey, what’s a guy gotta do to get a drink around here?”

Impressions
    Spectre Six is nothing like she expected.

He really is a little young to be drinking this early in the morning...young and not bad looking. Dark hair smoothed back from his face, except one wayward tendril that falls forward into the bluest eyes she’s ever seen—-eyes that sparkle mischievously when he smiles at her. And, oh, that smile...

Mara struggles to keep her own expression casual and not betray the way his smile makes her feel weak in the knees. She admonishes herself not to act like a fool—she doesn’t even know him

But rather thinks she’d like to.

Safer
    Ezra gives her another heart-stopping grin and tosses her a salute as he leaves the café.

Go after him…

Don’t be silly, she tells the voice that whispers in her mind. He’s coming back tonight (her heart skips at the thought). If I run after him, I’ll just look desperate.

Go after him…

The voice keeps whispering urgently. It’s not just her own desire, it’s the prompting of the Force, as insistent as she’s ever heard it. Ezra’s in danger. He needs her help.

Go after him…

She unties her apron and flings it aside. “Sascha, I’ve got to run!”

Check
    The bounty hunters have Ezra cuffed and on his knees in the alley. The ugly human backhands him at his protests.

Mara’s heart pounds as crouches on the roof above them. This is it—the moment all her training has been leading to. All Dad’s lessons on using the Force; all Mom’s lessons on pursuing suspects. All her marksmanship training. All so she can save Ezra. She draws on the Force, pulls her blaster, aims… and drops both bounty hunters in a heartbeat.

The surge of triumph is matched only by the crazy joy she feels when she sees Ezra’s grin.

Last
    After a wild run across the rooftops of Merkesh City, she and Ezra finally make it to the spaceport. Mara leaps down from the rooftop--right into waiting his arms. Ezra swings her around, laughing. When he lets go, she feels giddy, but it’s from his closeness, the look in his eyes when they meet hers.

She should let go of him, but she can’t. She never wants to move from this spot

Ezra kisses her; when their lips meet, time stands still. The Force hums around them, the sweetest music she’s ever heard.

She wishes this moment would last forever.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A Star Crossed set! [face_dancing] From Mara's POV. :) [face_sigh]

Wonderful, her reaction to Ezra and her "rescuing" him. ;) Then this:

"Ezra kisses her; when their lips meet, time stands still.
    The Force hums around them, the sweetest music she’s ever heard.
    She wishes this moment would last forever."

Just...SQUEE! ^:)^
    =D=

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What a wonderful idea to do a Star Crossed set—and from Mara’s viewpoint, too! This was the story that started it all, the one that kicked off the whole fantastic Marzra phenomenon, and it’s such a treat to revisit it in these drabbles. The Force is stirring and singing for these two even at this first meeting, as if to hint that this isn’t just a matter of brand-X teen infatuation (though Spectre Six’s winning smile and impish good looks certainly don’t hurt in the least [face_love] ). It’s the Force, combined with Mara’s own inner sense of right and bravery (and they’re part and parcel of the same thing, really) that sends her after Ezra to save him. All her training for that moment—it’s almost like their rescue is a Force nexus in itself, as is that beautiful, wonderful first kiss. None less than the Force itself, combined with true love, has the power to make time stand still like that—and what a joy to revisit that moment!

Thank you so much for another beautiful set and the chance to bask once again in this Marzra moment. In other words: SQUEEEEEEEE! [face_love]

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Week 13

Talk
    I can guess that it's the same event from The Beginning of Honor? Either way, Shai is a typical hyper kiddo and I love him for that. But it's funny how he wants to do so.many.things.at.the.same.time.

Silence
    Woo, glad that Shai will be following his older brother's (and idol's, regardless of how much he would deny it every now and then) footsteps. It's funny that it's the first time something can make him unable to render excitement from his li'l maw.

Smile
    I'm guessing that Shai is a teenager in this one? I love it how he changed to be handsome and popular, yet his innocence and optimism are still there. I can suspect that his idealism and wide-eyed ways will be compromised at some point and that makes me sad.

Laugh
    The way you get Zeb's speech patterns is masterful - in case I never said that before. And it seems that he and Shai found a way to communicate from the earliest days, though their shared mischievous streak. Nice to know that there is something like that under the big guy's rough facade. Then again...who would have doubted it?

Cry
    I want a story about Shai in the Imperial work camp. I can imagine that it would hurt a lot to even think about it, let alone write it, but the horror of those brutalists should be shown. Always. If they can make a Honour Guard cry, then there might be things going on that we can't even imagine in our worst nightmares.

Week 16

First
    I love it, love it, LOVE IT tie-ins like this and I can recognise the exact moment at the very end. Of course that there would've had to have been something in the Force to let Mara know that nothing would ever be the same from the moment the mysterious stranger speaks.

Impressions
    Ha! Totally girly and an accurate description of Ezra. He's a teen, but the child in him is, in a way, represented by that little bit of hair that just won't listen. ;)

Safer
    This one is probably my favourite of all ten I'm commenting on today. The whole twist - is it desire? Is it the time to grow up? Well, yes, but in a completely different way - a Jedi knows how to search their feelings and realise that what they feel at the moment might be something far more important than what's basic and raw. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Check
    You go, girl! This is the kind of a badass Mara that is level-headed, has absolutely no fear and doubt anywhere in her mind, but once the danger is over, she's all lovey-dovey. That's a perfect measure. :D

Last
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Seeing this kiss from a different perspective is like looking at a game from multiple angles or a race using different cameras. Okay, I'm kidding, it's better. What a loving, tender scene capturing Ezra and Mara's puppy love. Sure this started out as a meet-uncute more than a meet-cute, but eventually, it turned the other way 'round. [face_love]

10. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks! I've wanted to do some outtakes from Star Crossed for a while and this set worked perfectly for them. Ezra wasn't the only one who was swept off his feet that day!

[face_blush] Thank you very much! Yes, the Force itself is giving Mara a nudge that Something Very Important is about to happen here and continues to nudge her in the right direction to go after Ezra (though as you note, his winning smile doesn't hurt!) Love the idea of their meeting being a Force nexus-- and the kiss! [face_love] True love and the Force (which may also be part and parcel of the same thing) combine and nothing will be the same for them again.
    It's the same festival, though some years earlier (Shai is seven in this drabble, and fourteen in BOH), but he's got the same enthusiasm for it. Oh yeah, he's gonna do it all...unless he explodes from excitement first.

:D He's gonna be just like Zebby! No wonder he can't speak!

Shai's about nineteen here, the same age that Zeb was when he climbed the Warrior in BOH. I think Shai's wide-eyed optimism is probably part of what makes him attractive to those girls who vie for his smile. His spirit will be hard tested in the future, but it will never be completely crushed.

Well, thank you! And of course, Zeb's always had that mischievous streak, with three older sisters, it was either that or learn how to bake cookies :p (Now why can I hear Zeb grumbling that his cookies are delicious thank you very much, just 'cause he's a big purple lug doesn't mean he can't bake...)

Oh my...well, I do have some ideas for stories about Shai while he's a slave, but i don't know that I'll be able to show the worst of it. That's just not something I think I could handle. I think the stories will be more about how Shai holds onto his honor and compassion even in the face of such treatment.

Yup, the Force has a personal interest in this meeting, so pay attention, Mara! :D

Hey, Mara's as girly as the next girl, she just hides it better than most! And, yeah, I miss Ezra's old hairstyle, so AU Ezra gets AU hair. It does kind of represent the part of him that never quite grows up, even though he's more mature and further along the Jedi path now.

[face_love] It may coincide with what she secretly desires, but it's only the recognition that this what the Force wants that spurs Mara into action.

Oh yeah! This Mara isn't the Emperor's Hand and this is the first time she's ever had to put all this skills into practice, but she does so without fear or hesitation. And then there's time for a little celebratory flirtation ;)

[face_laugh] Love the comparison of multiple cameras! It is, in a way! She hears the same sweet music in the Force that Ezra does when they kiss; you know it's meant to be!

11. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Week 18 features some of the characters from my story "All Our Yesterdays"

Mountain
    Ace pilot and explorer, Jaq Bonduna had been from one side of the Galaxy to the other—hiked the forests of Kashyyk, climbed the mountains on Moraband, dove in the seas of Mon Cala. He and his partner, Rheyn Jesno, laughed at the odds; they could handle anything, find any treasure. Until some shebs-ugly beast with poisoned fangs nearly ate Rheyn and some little slip of a girl biologist had to rescue them. When a scientist is tougher than two self-proclaimed “fearless explorers”, it’s time to rethink your life. Now Jaq faces a challenge tougher than climbing the highest mountain—settling down.

Notes: Jaq Bonduna is the owner of the "Heads and Tails" cantina on Giaca. if you're good with anagrams, you might be able to figure out the inspiration for his "fearless explorer" partner.

River
    Life is like a river flowing, and it carries the memories of all our yesterdays along on its current.

Something’s blocked that current for me, though, and my life’s not a river anymore, just a pond, a puddle...a single moment in isolation. Waking up in the escape pod is the beginning of my life, whatever came before has been swallowed by a gray fog.

How do I know where I’m going if I don’t know where I’ve been? How do I move forward when I can’t look back?

If my yesterdays have disappeared, who does that make me today?
    Notes: Dev Morgan, the protagonist of Yesterdays, who wakes up on Giaca without any memory of his past

Tree
    Nanda watches the convor chick through her binoculars and frowns. The parents have abandoned the hatchling; it can’t last much longer. Its piteous cries wring her heart.

She’s a scientist, she ought to let nature take its course, but somehow she just can’t let the chick suffer and die. Nanda sighs and puts down her binoculars. She’s liable to regret this later, but she shinnies up the tree to the nest. The tiny bird wriggles and cheeps as she tucks it into one of her vest pockets.

They call her the mother avian, now it seems she really is one.
    Notes: Nanda Vertti, wildlife biologist, and the "mother avain" who helps Dev.

Earth
    “Raised by fenwolves” is not a compliment, but I don’t care. If I’d really been raised by wolves, I’d still have better manners and more sense than the ones who’ve destroyed this den. Wild fenwolves are pests, you see, so why not have some sport exterminating them?

I came too late.

They’d laid open the earthen den with an excavator; the male went down fighting for his mate. I knelt beside her blaster-singed form and gave my word as a beast-warden that the broken cub hidden beneath her would run through the forests again.

And they say I’m the “beast-girl”.
    Notes: These last two drabbles are for a character who is yet to appear in the story, Akaela Ranulf, a young woman who is a beast-warden with empathic connection to animals, particularly the fenwolves she cares for.

Horizon
    I can’t stay on Shor any longer after what happened with the wild wolves. I don’t belong here.

It’s time for me to strike out on my own, and build my own pack. I’m taking my wolves—Lyka, Conri, Faola and the cub, who won’t let me give him a name— to the colony on Giaca, where there’s nothing on the horizon but trees and more trees. Someplace wild, where I can get lost...or maybe find the place I belong.

When I look up at the stars, I know it’s out there. And it feels like it’s calling me home.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely use of the prompts and introduction to Akaela. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    An intriguing tie-in to your very intriguing new story! The nature/landscape-related prompts are a great match for the stark, elemental landscape of Giaca and for the mysterious protagonist Dev, representing how he has to start completely anew in "undiscovered country." What a wonderful new panoply of characters you have here: the hardboiled explorer-turned-barkeep Jaq, who has a little Indiana Jones in him (and I think I see what you mean by the anagram of his partner's name!), the lost and mysterious Dev, whose memories have been blocked off like a dammed river in a very powerful image (borrowed from Shakespeare, no?); the kindly scientist Nanda who gets to quite literally take on the role of a "mother avian" (as we know she'll do in a more figurative way with Dev in All Our Yesterdays). It's especially wonderful to meet Akaela for the first time; ever since you first mentioned her to me I've been curious to meet her officially. With her close connection to the fenwolves and her life so close to them, she reminds me a bit of San in Princess Mononoke, and I can see that her impulse to protect her lupine friends and family (!) on Shor ran no less deep than San's, and that the tragic fate most of them suffered affected her deeply. So, in a way, her situation has some similarities to Dev's in that she has to start anew on a new world—though she understandably approaches it with much more optimism, true to the "live in the here and now” aspect of her character that I know you’re planning on. These drabbles have me very eager to meet her in All Our Yesterdays, and to see how that story will proceed for Dev and all the cool new characters you’ve introduced! :cool:

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So...I know what's next and you can't imagine how excited I am right now...okay, you can. But until you give me that...

Mountain
    Yes, yes, yes - I get the anagram! And I wonder what significance it's going to have in the story further on. Jaq has been an interesting one from his first appearance and I'm looking forward to see what kind of a change he will provoke in Dev.

River
    *jawdrop* This stuff would make a beautiful poem. Lyrical, evoking so.many.kriffin.feels. Perhaps some other character could write it for Dev...or maybe he should write it himself? Le hinty-hint...

Tree
    Nanda! She saved Dev the same way she is saving this birdy now. There is a lot of symbolism involved, indeed - both Dev and the bird fell from the nest. But where is Dev's nest? ;)

Earth
    I am going to LOVE Akaela. From seeing a picture of her, it was easy to determine that she was a warrior woman and whoa - she indeed is. And she is proud of her life story. She kind of reminds me of Asha Fahn, another warrior woman raised by wolves.

Horizon
    Ooo, I SPOTTED SOMETHING HERE, TOO. The cub won't let Akaela give him a name...I have some wild, wild ideas right now.

15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed them. I was excited to be able to get a little bit of Akaela’s backstory in these drabbles. She’s going to appear in the story in the chapter after next. I can’t wait:D
    It’s been a lot of fun building a new cast of characters for this story. Giaca is such a frontier settlement that it attracts all kinds of explorers, outcasts and outlaws. Jaq does indeed have a little of Indy to him, or rather
    his partner does. Rheyn Jesno is an anagram of Henry (a.k.a. Indiana) Jones. Jaq is named after Jock Lindsay, Indy’s pilot (“I hate snakes, Jock! I hate ‘em!”) who eventually retires to open a bar.
    And yes, the phrase “all our yesterdays” is borrowed from Shakespeare, Macbeth’s “Tomorrow” soliloquy, to be exact. I like Nanda; Star Wars needs some more moms, so I try to work them in where I can. She’s one of those people who takes care of everyone and every creature she finds, but she’s not sentimental or fluffy by any means...so she’ll probably get along nicely with a young beast-warden and her wolves. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Princess Mononoke, but, yes, it was one of the inspirations for Akaela. She has a Human (or, I guess Shorak) family, too, but she’s as close to the wolves she’s grown up with as she is to any of them. With her lupine...sisters? Cousins?...with her, plus one reluctant and traumatized cub, and she’s ready to start a new chapter in her life, one where she’ll encounter a young man who can talk with tookas...
    if Nanda is Dev’s surrogate mom, I guess that makes Jaq his unofficial dad? Big brother? Annoying roommate? Hmm.... :p
    and in a way there is a parallel to the character you mentioned...check out the species....and Nanda’s

I’m not sure Dev is really a poet...though maybe he’ll become one, inspired by his soul searching as he discovers who he is, was and could be.

interestingly, I thought of the final image of your Darth Maladi when I was writing this. Nan is like the polar opposite; she knows she should let nature take its course, but she just can’t. Instead of dealing death, like Maladi, she deals life.

She is a strong woman, and she is proud of who and what she is, though it’s often misunderstood. She’s not afraid or reluctant to take action or go,after what she wants. :D

I wonder who might eventually give him one....;)

16. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    And now, for you @Ewok Poet, Week 18 is all about Sabine!
    Air
    A Mandalorian with a jetpack is a weapon.

She’s always dreamed of having her own, and now that she does… it’s better than she ever imagined. She’s got it all now—speed, maneuverability, finesse.

She can zip after her enemies on a wild zig-zag path. She can soar above them like a convor on the wing; she can make sudden stops and starts to confuse her foes. With her blasters blazing, she’s a shooting star. They can’t catch her; they’ll never stop her. It’s a deadly aerial dance, another form of art.

With her jetpack, she’s the perfect, living weapon.

Life
    Mandalorians know that life is a battle.

Every day is a new test. Sometimes the fight is literal, against opponents who would gladly kill you—Imperials, rival clans, bounty hunters. Some days, you struggle against the Galaxy—hostile creatures, inhospitable environments, the void of space itself. Other days you test yourself against yourself, to do better, go farther, work harder than you have before.

Every fight has its weapons, but you are always your own greatest weapon—your skill, your strength, your knowledge. Your character.

Life is a battle, but it has to be fought with honor or it can never be won.

Hair
    Dye it blue. Orange. Purple. White. Cut it short, grow it long. Shave it, style it, curl it, braid it. So many possibilities. So many ways to express herself on this ever-changing, ever growing canvas.

If she changes her mind, she can always bleach it out or shave it off. It’s just hair...and yet it’s not just hair. It’s a part of her, a reflection of who she is and what she feels. It’s all the colors inside of her made visible to the world. It’s a way for her to not just create art, but to become it.

Conviction
    Spoiler for Rebels Finale spoilerish-ness....
    He’s out there, somewhere.

How do you find one person, lost in a Galaxy of stars? Chopper still has the data of his last hyperspace trajectory, even though it’s been almost five years ago. That takes the odds from impossible to just wildly improbable. I’ve called in favors from Kallus in Republic Intelligence, Hondo among the fringers, Fenn Rau and all the clan leaders—anyone with eyes to help me search.

He said he was counting on me, that he could always count on me. I’m not going to fail him.

He’s out there, somewhere—and I’m going to bring him home.

Sunshine
    Some beings don’t understand. They think that art is just something I do for fun, but it’s so much more than that. It’s in my blood, part of who I am. I need to create, like I need to eat or breathe.

Art is like sunshine. You can live without it for a while, but it’s a cold, gloomy existence. When the sun finally breaks through, it transforms the world, brings it to life. It brings color, makes things bloom and grow.

I could live without art, but why would I want to? I might as well live without sunshine!

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful reflections in Air and Life. =D= Hair was just [face_mischief] Conviction ... [:D] [:D] for both of them. Sabine is an unfailing never-give-up friend/ally. And Sunshine -- [face_dancing] That is true of any artist, I believe. [face_love]

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Another wonderful new set that just goes to show what an absolute ace you are at understanding each and every single one of the characters of Rebels! I have to skip "Conviction" for now because I haven't yet caught up on season four, but I can tell already that this group covers the full range of Sabine's many-faceted personality, from her Mando warrior ethos to her artistic sensibilities to her capacity for steadfast, loyal friendship. In "Air" love how even the "deadly aerial dance" of jetpack battle becomes "another form of art," and how could it not for someone who considers art as essential to life as sunshine? :D "Life" is a wonderful summary of the warrior ethos Sabine carries on as part of her heritage, and "Hair" is a lovely counterpart to your "The Colors Inside"—and I just realized that both of those are similar in theme, in a way: as a warrior Sabine's spirit and honor make her her own best weapon, and as an artist she herself is one of her best and most expressive media. Thank you for another amazing Rebels character study, and keep these coming! :sabine: :cool:

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I am sorry that I, err, got distracted by certain flowy black curls on the day you posted this - and then, err, remained distracted for weeks. I love me some Bine-Bine and you know that. [face_love][face_love][face_love]

One thing that I really, really like about this set is the switch from third to first person. We get to see Sabine from the narrator's POV, but we also get inside of her heart and soul. :sabine:

Air - The concept of Sabine as a living weapon is, like, WHOA. In a way, she is free as a bird, in a way she is controlled by her jetpack, but either way, she is a deadly enemy - coming straight from the skies to kick some serious butt! And that is how we love her. That is how we dig our empowered cheekas!

Life - A wonderful look at all the fights this complex character had to fight during the course of Rebels. She was in so many battles, yet when she trained with the Darksaber, she was battling herself. When she had to go back to her home, she was battling herself. When she had to make peace with Ketsu, she was battling herself. Her life is a fight.

Hair - Hmmm, the thought of Sabine shaving her hair would immediately make me think of

SEASON 4 SPOILER

Kanan's ritual before he heads to save Hera and perish

and that would not be her. That's why we like Sabine's colours. We know that she will go on.

Conviction - This was so, so emotional. @};-

SEASON 4 SPOILER

It made me shiver. Not kidding at all. Sabine's feelings for her best friend - and yes, we can call Ezra that - are stronger than ever. She, the woman of honour, is dedicating her life to finding him. The idea of Chopper having the trajectory is yours, right? I don't remember hearing that in the voiceover at the end of the last episode - then again, I watched that more than a month ago. [face_blush]

Sunshine - This is a sensory-overload-drabble. Not that the whole set wasn't - Sabine is a clear ISFP after all, with her graceful movements and deep convictions hiding underneath and then turning out to be more important. The sunshine might not have been the kindest to her, but if she can finally see it and compare it to what she loves most and is proud of, then one can see that better days are to come. @};-

This was excellent. ^:)^ THANK YOU FOR ANOTHER DOSE OF SABINE. :sabine: