main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Ulario's Art, Original characters., webcomic, etc... (webcomic updated 12/07)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ulario, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Well, this is my first time posting here and I'm a little nervous... but...

Some of my friends and I have been planning a Star Wars themed dungeons and dragons game. I've been drawing up some quick sketches of my character.

His name is Tref Syrris and he's a nautolan martial artist. So far he's been a lot of fun to create, and will probably be even more fun to roleplay as since it will be my first time doing some serious roleplaying as a male character (RL female).

Tref's Face

Face shot of my character since I wanted to get a good idea of what he looks like. My hardest challenge was getting him **not** to look like Kit. lol.

Tref's Tattoos

Since he has a personality similar to that of a monk, I felt that covering parts of his body in spiritual tattoos would be appropriate. I edited that picture for posting on websites like this one... the original isn't horribly bad, it just shows nautolan butt since clothing would have covered part of his tattoos, but I figured it was better to be safe then sorry. However, if you really wanted to see the uncensored version, it's on my website.

Full body

Full body picture of my character.

He's mostly an unarmed fighter, but carries a staff in case he needs some extra range. On his side note, his staff is a design of my own creation. It is a three-sectioned staff which is folded up and carried strapped to his back, but during combat it can instantly convertfrom a three-sectioned staff to a quarterstaff (or vice versa).

I will probably end up doing at least one more picture of him. I kinda wanted to draw him in his monk robes (or a kimono-type thing, I haven't decided yet).

Questions of comments welcome.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow! These are wonderful, Ulario! You have a very good grasp of anatomy, and it shows in your work. I think Tref is quite different-looking from Kit, so you succeeded there, and his tattoos and clothing are very unique. All beautifully done, from the linework to the coloring. I can't wait to see more--will they all be original characters, or will you be throwing in some familiar faces...? In any case, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for showing us your work!

FF

3. Plo_Koon_Rocks

Plo_Koon_Rocks Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2005
    TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!!! Most excellent. Did you do the coloring also?

4. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    THank you falcon. I'll be sure to add more soon. Since I need to start drawing some picts of my galaxies characters (and I owe a few of my close friends pictures of their characters), they'll probably be original characters mostly... though I'll try to squeeze in a few familiar faces as well. I have more fun drawing originals anyways since I can use my imagination in designing them more.

Plo: Yes, I did my coloring myself as well. (I use photoshop in case you were wondering). :)

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Those are truly excellent, Ulario. I agree with FF that you have succeeded in making him appear different from Kit. Although, I like the smile you added to him in the final pic. Very reminiscent of Mr. Fisto himself. ;)

6. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Very good work! :D I particularly like the shot of his face.

7. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Hes got an amazing design! Hes great! :)

8. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Wow he looks very cool, I love the detail you've put into him, nautolan's are not easy to draw lol.
    Oh and welcomes to you! :D

9. GoldSeven

GoldSeven Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    Hey, nice one! Those tattoos are really cool. I can never come up with good ones, lol. I like your colouring too, maybe two things to think about:

In the full body shot, the proportions are slightly off. His body looks squished, the arms and legs are too short.

The inking would probably look a lot cooler and more dynamic if your thickness of lines varied some more. Right now, they're the same strength everywhere.

10. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Sorry I haven't been on in a while... I have a few new ones. :)

Aayla Secura
    Erf. I'm almost embarrassed to show this one since the anatomy is horrid... but it's SW related nonetheless. Quickie of Aayla done for a friend's birthday.

Kit Fisto: Wet and Wild
    Random drawing of Kit. I adore how the background turned out. :)
    Thinking of sending a print of this picture to Zach Jensen.

I Know I'm Not Alone
    Tref again. This time he's all dressed up in his kimono/robes. On a side note: Nautolans look good in hats. :)

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Very nice additions, Ulario! You really have figure drawing down, don't you? :D

I think your Aayla piece is very good--the "quickness" is evident, compared to your other work, but it's wonderful nonetheless! I like the coloring of it, too!

Kit Fisto is amazing! I really love these views of him, floating around under water with bubbles and a lit lightsaber--too cool! The "atmosphere" of this one is very "watery," with the shafts of light spilling down from the surface--an beautiful depiction of the environment he's in--and his pose and gestures are wonderful. Just one little critique on this one--are the toes on his left foot reversed in order (big to little)...? It seems so to me...
    Other than that small thing, I think this is stunning!

And your character does look wonderful in a hat, lol! This is a great tension piece, with the skulking characters in the background, and Tref in a sort of defensive "Force push" pose--very nice piece! I really like the four-armed alien back there too--interesting creature design! ;)

Great pieces, Ulario!

FF

Nice

12. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I very much like your Kit Fistos. The second one, especially, is very original. The asian-style outfit you put him in really does fit his character, surprisingly enough.

I appreciate all the detail you put into the backgrounds instead of just plopping the character into a plain page or block of colour. The work you put in really improves the final renderings.

13. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Thank you for the comments, everyone. :)

A few new pictures:

Trick or Treat 2005

This one is a quickie I did for fun to get in the Halloween Spirit. Some of my characters in halloween costumes. Since it includes one of my SW characters, and one of my non-sw characters in a sw costume I decided to post it. :D

In order from left to right, the characters are:

Ulario Zemothe (anthro gryphon) as Shaak Ti
    Tetra Zemothe (human) as Squall Leonhart
    Aredon Bredrit (human) as Marv from Sin City
    Tref Syrris (Nautolan) as Bob Marley

Azrel
    s Character Design Thingie

Since I am working on a SW themed weekly webcomic, I'm in the process of designing a few new characters. I'm trying to incorperate as many of the "lesser known" species as possible. This particular character is a fargul, a bipedal feline race. She was originally going to be a cathar, but I kinda decided against it at the last second.

I'll be sure to keep y'all posted on my webcomic.

14. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005
    The only thing I can think of to say is: NIIIIIIIIICE!

15. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Very nice work. I thought it was cute how you censored out the image of Tref's muscular backside. :p

Great job!

AG88

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Very nice artwork, can't wait to see your web comic.

I hope you'll let us know when it arrives:D

Great work on creating Tref and all the others!

17. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    'nother new one.... this is basically me playing around with a few different water effects. :)

Caught in the Rain

18. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Excellent artwork Ulario. You do yourself proud. Wish I could do stuff like that. :p

19. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Ulario! I really love your Kit/ Tref artwork. :)

Your latest piece is wonderful. I'm trying to convince myself to try a rain image at the moment and this only makes me want to try it more! Well done, great realism there. Great result from playing around definitely! :D

20. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    OMG the pose on Kit Fisto: Wet and Wild is soooo awesome!! You draw the male anatomy so well! Its very annoying! :p

Nice to see some updates from you! :)

21. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Well, I finally started that webcomic I mentioned earlier. I'm going to try and make it a weekly thing. I already have two weeks worth of it done (two pages). Just a warning, though... it's not going to be a extremely violent/adult comic... but these first few pages contain a bit of bloodshed, swearing, whatever... so if you're sensitive to that sort of thing don't view it.

Page 1

Page 2

I'll try and update my pages whenever I can. :)

Hehe. Looking back, I realized that I didn't give much information about myself. :)

Well, for the most part I'm a fantasy illustrator, and I specialize mostly in anthropomorphic (furry) art as well as mythical beasts. I'm mostly self taught, but I am attending a university with a dual major in fine art and graphic design at the current time. Several people have already mentioned that I have a good sense of anatomy, which makes sense because I learned to draw mostly by reading comic books... but I am probably best known for my finged critters, which unfortunately you won't see much of here, since there aren't many of them in the SW universe. But if you want to check out some of the other art I've done, feel free to visit my website. :)

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Bad Falcon--forgetting to leave comments after a visit!
    :oops:

I know I've looked at "Trick or Treat" and Azrel before--naughty, bad FalconFan for neglecting to reply! :D I love them both, btw! Azrel in particular--I remember saying "Wow!" when she popped up on the screen! I love the way you handle your alien characters--they seem so natural, like they must exist in reality, too!

The webstrip panels are beautifully done--great coloring, very good composition and pacing. A little "graphic" for my tastes (but I'm a lightweight when it comes to violence, anyway...), but well done! I love fantasy work, and am going to visit your website to take a look (take a visit at Corellian_Rogue's DA gallery to see her fabulous fantasy art, too--she's amazing!)!

FF

23. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Heh, well like I said... only the first two pages or so are graphic. :p

Anyways:

Chapter 1 - Page 3

I have to admit, I wasn't in the mood to draw last week, so page 3 is a bit half arsed... so just don't expect it to be a masterpiece. :p

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I hear you on the "not in the mood to draw" comment! ;) Sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle, to sit down with the materials and get to work! Inspiration and mood certainly do enter into it!

"KRAKK!!"

OOOWWW!! That almost hurt me, to look at! Very good handling of a fight sequence, I thought--Tref dispatching each one in turn, the ringleader last. The figures look very natural in their movement, which adds to the images--again, nice coloring, too! How many pages are you planning with this? I can't imagine taking on a project like that--too lengthy and labor-intensive! My attention span is pretty much limited to one piece at a time, with little else to spare--I respect the ambition and commitment that something like a comic must take! Nice work!

FF

25. Ulario

Ulario Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.