main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru Appreciation Thread***

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Terr_Mys, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Owen and Beru Lars - the best aunt and uncle team in the entire Star Wars galaxy! Don't deny it! Can any of us truly say that we weren't on the brink of collapsing in sorrow when we saw their blasted corpses in the rubble of the homestead?

This thread is the place where we can all express our appreciation for these two great people! Post your comments about the actors, your thoughts about their differences in AOTC and ANH, the things to come in Episode III, or just post random Owen/Beru lines!

Okay, so this thread doesn't have to be serious :) (unless there are some weirdos who are really obsessed with Owen and Beru...) but let's show some respect for these two individuals!

Let's start this thread with your vote for the best Owen or Beru! What's your pick?

1) Owen from AOTC (Joel Edgerton)
    2) Beru from AOTC (Bonnie Piesse)
    3) Owen from ANH (Phil Brown)
    4) Beru from ANH (Shelagh Fraser)

:)

2. Ugly_Dookling

Ugly_Dookling Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2002
    [image=http://www.tultw.com/pics/devil015.JPG]
    Beru

3. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
  4. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    That is so Beru!

5. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Nobody has cast their vote yet! C'mon, who's the best?

6. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Well, Joel Edgerton and Bonnie were pretty good...they looked cute together. On the other hand the ones in ANH weren't all that bad either. I don't know...I'd vote for all of them...

7. kenobikenobi

kenobikenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2002
    Uncle Owen's action figure always played the town drunk in me and my brother's screwed up action figure games...Plus, he had a finger that was pointed out, so he could ask Luke to pull his finger! EXACTLY like a real uncle! So, The old scruffy Owen will always have a special place in my memories. :D

8. kenobikenobi

Apr 8, 2002
    What is the matter with you people?! How can you totally neglect star wars's favorite aunt and uncle! Shame on you and your ways. Redeem yourselves and give Owen and Beru the respect they deserve!

and

***all hail blue milk!!*** ;)

9. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I have a new appreciation for the two of them after reading the AotC novelization. The first couple of chapters dealing with Owen, Beru, Cliegg, and Shmi are very nice. Definately check them out if you haven't already.

As for which Beru/Owen are better, I have to go with the two new ones. The Old Beru always annoyed me becuase her voice was dubbed and I like the New Owen more because he's kinda cute, in a scruffy way. ;)

10. kenobikenobi

Apr 8, 2002
    woah...I did'nt realize her voice was dubbed. Kinda odd because I can usually tell right off when they do that. Why did they dub it?

Yeah, the new Owen is pretty cute! :p Sad to think he turns out being a bitter old scruffy man in 20 years...He seemed like a nice guy in AOTC and then in ANH...well...he ended up like goofy old Cliegg!

11. zam_fett

zam_fett Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Hey... no wonder her voice is so weird. I knew there was something strange about it.

The new Owen & Beru are adorable! I'm glad they made it into AotC, even if they did have miniscule parts.

No one's posted any Owen/Beru lines so I'll take care of new Beru:

"Hello."

:)

12. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Nice job, Zam_Fett. ;)

Haven't you ever noticed Old Beru's voice sounds a little funny? It was dubbed because the Shelagh's voice was too deep. So she was dubbed and it's been annoying me ever since. Ironic that they finally get a Beru who can use her real voice and they cut all her lines!

By the way, what kind of name is Shelagh? Personally, I think it sounds like something from Middle Earth along the lines of balrog, but whatever.

13. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Up! ;) My thread has been resurrected. Yay!

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    First of all, Shelagh is pronounced just like Sheila, so it isn't a strange name.

Secondly, I think the young Owen is sooooo cute. [face_love] I would prefer him instead of Anakin every day, I think.

I actually wrote a fanfic about Beru sometime this winter, if you are interested.

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    They are cool, they are just simple people trying to make a living.

16. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    Sorry, my favorites are the oldies but goodies. I'll take crusty, cranky Phil Brown any day over Joel.

17. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks for the pronunciation tip, Obi Anne. I'll definately check out that fic sometime as well.

The Old Owen did have a sort of cranky appeal, but it doesn't compare to the adorable appeal of young Owen. :)

How much of them do you think we'll see in Ep. 3? Obviously they have to be in it for a short while at the end at least. Will they see Padme again or does she just give Luke to Obi-Wan?

18. Eriwo_Jolon

Eriwo_Jolon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    I have to vote for the OT Owen and Beru, they were the best. I especially liked the BBQ sauce that was used on them.

mmmm, mmmm, finger lickin good! [face_devil]

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think we will see much of Owen and Beru, probably just the scene where get Luke from Obi Wan, nothing more. Too bad, I would love to see more of the change between young and happy Owen and old and grumpy Owen.

20. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Yeah, he definately changed. You can't really tell in the movie, but in the AotC book, Owen is a happy, loving guy. Undoubtedly seeing his stepbrother destroy the galaxy changed him a little.

21. kenobikenobi

Apr 8, 2002
    I was trying to find a script for star wars so I could look up some good lines for Owen and Beru, but found something much more interesting instead...Im pretty sure i've seen some one mention this before, but not in this thread...Anyways, I think this needs to be here.

"To the rear of the Plaza, watching the spectacle over the shoulder of a
    curious bureaucrat, stands Clieg Whitsun, a tall, blond young man about twenty
    years old. He seems interested in what the emperor has to say, but keeps
    looking around nervously as if someone were after him. His arm rests across
    his head, as he carefully but coolly adjusts a glowing blue ring on his index
    finger. The emperor nears the end of his speech."

So anyways, I thought that was pretty cool. you got weirdo Cliegg's first name in there, and then you got Beru's maiden name.

I wonder how GL went from using the name Cliegg for a young blond man to a scruffy old man?!

22. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Owen and Beru were adorable in ATOC, but I loved them in the OT too. Although, I must admit, ATOC Owen was very HOT!! I don't know what it is about him, but I just find him terribly, terribly attractive [face_love] I've always loved their characters though, and those first few chapters of the ATOC novelization were quite awesome. Sucks that they got blasted! I fully intend to get hamsters and name them after them :)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    kenobikenobi, that was a really interesting find, it's quite fantastic how GL reuses names time and time again.

Chris, just make sure that your hamsters wont end up fried.

24. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    New Owen and Beru-As several have mentioned they're simply a cute couple. It is a shame their scenes got cut. :(

25. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    kenobikenobi, thanks for finding that. Quite interesting. :)

And I'm hoping that some of there scenes are included on in the DVD. And if you do want to learn more about them, make sure you read the AotC novelization. The first two or three chapters fill in a lot about their lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.