main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Understanding Luke's Cave vision

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Love SW2012, Dec 29, 2020.

1. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    The scene was ominous indeed and Luke failing that test served as a warning for the road to come, Good storytelling.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The aspect of this vision that intrigues me is that Luke subconsciously knows that Vader is his father. I didn’t realize that until 2014.

However, when I first saw the vision as a kid in 1995, I was scared. I was like, “How did Vader find out he was on Dagonah?” I literally believed he was there. And seeing Luke’s face in Vader’s mask was disconcerting as a kid. I also like Yoda’s reaction to all this, since he sensed it. Yoda’s mannerisms and lines help add to how great TESB is. Yoda is probably my favorite character in the Classic Trilogy, with Luke and Leia tied for second.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  3. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    When Luke defeated Vader in ROTJ he was on the verge of giving into the dark side. He came right up to the edge of the point of no return. But in looking at his father then his own hand he realized what he was becoming and at that moment he became a true jedi. Even Palpatine acknowledges is. "So be it...Jedi". Yes Luke failed in the cave and he *almost* failed in ROTJ giving into anger but his greater wisdom and experience with Yoda's teachings in ROTJ kept him from going over the edge. This also confirms that Yoda's teaching of Luke was superior to Obi-Wan's teaching of Anakin in that at the last moment Luke was able to resist the dark side where Anakin could not.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Since TROS introduced cloning Force Users, what if the Vader in the Cave is a clone of Luke? It could explain why Luke says the place is familiar, a bridging of minds with a Clone in the Force.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The vision of Vader is a manifestation of Luke's subconscious fears. Luke brought that fear with him, and the Force knew how to make use of that. Had Luke not used or moved his lightsaber, the vision of Vader's would have simply phased through him. Plain and simple.

6. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    @MidKnighT "This also confirms that Yoda's teaching of Luke was superior to Obi-Wan's teaching of Anakin in that at the last moment Luke was able to resist the dark side where Anakin could not."

I would say no. I mean we all know which one chose correctly, but Luke didn't have the world collapsing on him like Anakin felt. No Palpatine, ruler of the galaxy, in your ear and no hot to trot Padme wife in the other ear.
    It made the wrong choice easier for Anakin although Luke still could've chose it wrongly too. I think Obi Wan was actually a good teacher but yes Yoda was superior. He also instructed Anakin don't forget.

@SateleNovelist11
    Nicely put.
    I know many disagree but I never saw the cave as being infiltrated with evil. It's simply Yoda testing Luke by allowing the Force to create his vision.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    Darth Caliban and Alexrd like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hard disagree. Luke had a front row seat to watch the rebellion blasted into oblivion by the fully operational and shielded DS2, his friends were walking into a legion-level trap on Endor, he had inadvertently betrayed his sister to the Sith, his own father was trying to kill him, and he was facing his own death by Force lightning. He had no reason at all to cling to any hope. And the ruler of the galaxy was right there in his ear.

8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes I would say it does compare, you are correct.
    Luke and Anakin had to basically choose to be at Palpatines right hand or die.

I still wouldn't put it on Anakin's level though as Luke had a lot on his shoulders but the Rebellion was far larger and his friends were more capable of taking care of themselves.

Luke wanted to save his friends and accepted he was going to die in the process.
    Anakin wanted to save only Padme and was going to do anything to do it. Palpatine already had a relationship with Anakin and promised him this act of saving where as Luke had no relationship with Palpatine and wasn't promised anything so he had no reason to give in even if his father was Vader.
    In other words there was a similar situation that mirrors each other, but there was less temptation for Luke in ruling the galaxy.