main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Underused canon characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lordpixie, Mar 3, 2018.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Let's be real... no one in either canon or Legends is more underused than the man, the legend, the man whose mustache is everything Bren Derlin's wimpy push-broom wishes it could be...yes, that's right... Bob Hudsol.

[​IMG]

The high-ranking Rebel whose picture I have to post whenever I mention him because otherwise you wouldn't know who I was talking about... the man so obscure even GL couldn't be bothered giving him a decent name... potentially the only member of the Gray Cadre to survive "Hope Dies," but only because Kieron Gillen forgot he exists... and the only character whose mustache is described by Wookieepedia as, and I quote, "prominent." (I checked.) Come on Lucasfilm! Give this guy the story he clearly needs and deserves.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Yes! We need Hudsol - A Star Wars Story! I remember his entry in the Star Wars Encyclopedia

The Positive Fan likes this.
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    In all seriousness, I've long thought that a "Gray Cadre" one-shot comic would actually be a lot of fun. Dodonna, Willard, Hudsol, Lajaie, and perhaps Adar Tallon and Pashna Starkiller from Legends, in a "save the day one last time" sort of adventure? That's a winner in my book!

4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    YES!!

The Positive Fan likes this.
  5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    We're already most of the way there on Starkiller, since one of the Yavin extras was retconned into him. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm actually kind of surprised we never got one of the unidentified high-ranking folks in RotJ retconned into Tallon.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    SCAR squadron because they were actually pretty cool in their introductory issue....then things went downhill.

VexedAtVohai and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I already like the idea that the officer next to Blissex (on Blissex's left) is Hiram Drayson.
    Perhaps the white-haired officer with the female dignitaries is Adar Tallon?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll admit, a dark side of me wanted them to make Draven Drayson when he first showed up in the trailers, if only because he looked the way I imagined him in the books. It would also make it a little more unsettling, knowing how Drayson would sometimes do sneaky shady stuff behind the scenes and not always let the higher-ups know about it. Also I like the idea of the Rebels having a "secret mission" branch doing dirty work behind the scenes, not just Draven.

Speaking of underused canon characters... Draven! He's been in some comics but hasn't done much of any substance.

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yesssss. Draven has become one of my favorite characters in canon and I have been slowly stewing impatiently as we get little tiny bits of him. At least he is in stuff so I don't have to pull a Veers Watch.........yet. But I swear if he is killed off in the main SW comic anytime soon I will lose it

edit: I have missed the past few issue of SW.......oh god should I assume the worst?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Maybe? I wish I had a better grasp of who was still unidentified amongst the Home One extras.

Draven as Drayson is brilliant and I wish they'd had the nerve to do that. And yes, seeing more of Draven would be interesting. I'd like to see him interact with Cracken ... which reminds me, add Cracken to the underused canon characters list.

He really has it coming, though. From a Star Wars storytelling perspective, someone that morally compromised has a whole lotta karma coming his way.

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    List of identified characters:

Mon Mothma
    Admiral Gial Ackbar
    General Crix Madine
    General Walex Blissex
    General Lando Calrissian
    General Han Solo
    Major Olander Brit
    Major Haash'n
    Major Panno
    Captain Yutani
    Lieutenant s'Too Vees
    Sergeant Judder Page
    Corporal Delevar
    Corporal Janse
    Corporal Midge
    Wedge Antilles (Red Leader)
    Palso Thern (Blue Seven)
    Keyan Farlander, B-wing pilot
    Tycho Celchu (Green Three)
    Kin Kian, X-wing pilot
    Karie Neth, X-wing pilot
    Ten Numb (Blue Five)
    Orrimaarko
    C-3PO
    2-1B
    FX-7
    R5-G18 (off-screen)

Unidentified Characters:
    Female B-wing pilot on Palso Thern's left
    Dark-skinned male B-wing pilot on Keyan Farlander's right
    At least five human male X-wing pilots, one of them is Asian.
    At least four human male A-wing pilots, two either side of Tycho Celchu.
    At least one dark-skinned human female A-wing pilot
    At least five human male Y-wing pilots
    At least four Ishi Tibs
    A Dressellian commando in black
    A significant number of human male commandos, including the dark-skinned man sitting next to Leia and the one that apparently gave Luke a dirty look
    Several human dignitaries, including the two women behind Mon Mothma and the two men behind Lando and Ten Numb
    A dark-skinned human male officer (Blu-Ray reveals he was to be one of Madine's bridge officers).
    A white-haired human male officer (Blu-Ray reveals he was to be one of Madine's bridge officers).
    A human male officer standing next to Walex Blissex.
    Two Mon Calamari, one in an officer's uniform.
    Several human technicians, including an assistant to s'Too Vees (note the number of females there).
    An R3 unit with FX-7
    An R5 unit with FX-7

Banthapedia (a non-canon Star Wars wiki with some dirty humour involved in alot of their articles) went to a lot of trouble to name most of them.

I actually asked Star Wars Sourcebooks on Facebook when some of the people on it were doing Who's Who for Insider if they were going to do this and they mentioned it would be complicated to do so but they might've considered it.

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I mean if Vader can be redeemed, if Anakin can be a hero during the Clone Wars despite the whole murdering children in AOTC thing, and if Lando can be general after selling out Han then I feel Draven deserves a pretty decent second chance. I could go on my whole gushing about Draven thing but instead I will plug the article I did for ElevenThirtyEight cause that summarized my thoughts better than I can impromptu.
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2018/02/no-easy-wins-the-case-for-draven/

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I mean if Vader can be redeemed, if Anakin can be a hero during the Clone Wars despite the whole murdering children in AOTC thing, and if Lando can be general after selling out Han then I feel Draven deserves a pretty decent second chance. I could go on my whole gushing about Draven thing but instead I will plug the article I did for ElevenThirtyEight cause that summarized my thoughts better than I can impromptu.
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2018/02/no-easy-wins-the-case-for-draven/[/QUOTE]

Well, Anakin/Vader and Lando are both main characters, which make them better candidates for redemption. And, in the case of the former, even in redemption, the only way to pay the karmic debt was to die; in the latter, it was to have everything he'd worked for ripped away, and watch people he cared about suffer for his complicity with nothing to show for it.

That said, you make a very compelling case in that article.

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Draven has a very potentially interesting story if they ever choose to reuse him. Because there's going to be that nagging guilt over what exactly killing Galen Erso cost. If he hadn't kill Galen Erso, the Battle of Scarif might have been completely averted. Hundreds of Rebels would still be alive including Cassian. But, even more, there's the question if they could have destroyed the Death Star before it destroyed Alderaan.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This is a very interesting view! I do think what they are going for, though, is a gradual evolution. Vader in the movies had 20 years to process all that happened to him. He basically went numb in his feelings, leaving him, in turn, absolutely indifferent to other´s.

I get the feeling that, at least in the current Vader comic, he is just going through this process, from being the passionate man Anakin was, to the coldness of Vader in the OT. He is dealing with an immense amount of physical and emotional pain, adapting to a terrible trauma and a new life. I do think they are taking us in a gradual journey from point A to B, something I missed a little, for instance, in RODV... I did enjoy that book, but I got the feeling that Vader ends up there, a month after Mustafar, being exactly the same Vader from the OT.

And excusing this little parenthesis, and to connect it with the topic at hand, I would put Vader´s Inquisitors in the list... they are the only dark siders in the Empire bar the Sith. They are bound to be used a lot more in video games and such in the future, I imagine...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Charlemagne19 and Jarrus like this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Draven vs Cracken indeed. Let the best man named Cracken win!

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well little know fact about Draven, but his middle name is Cracken.......what do you have any evidence that says other wise?

Actually that just hit me right now, do middle names exist in the GFFA? Obscure EU squad got any factoids about that?

Edit oh yeah Crumb and Wicket have initials. Krennic and Galen have middle names as well apparently.

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    From the top of my head:
    Wicket W. Warrick,
    Salacious B. Crumb,
    Orson Callan Krennic,
    Galen Walton Erso,
    Cassian Jeron Andor,
    Chelli Lona Aphra,
    Bail Prestor Organa (yeah, this one is technically Legends),
    Kitster Chanchani Banai (also technically Legends)

vncredleader likes this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah Lona is a middle name, I always saw it as just a double given name like "Sarah Jane Smith" being called "Sarah Jane" most of the time, or Mary Jane Watson.

Also Kitster's middle name is super cool and needs to be canon

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Sheev Francis Palpatine. Though he of course prefers to go by a shortening of his middle name.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I thought it was Sheev-Frank Senate Palpatine

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Frank is short for Francis, and The Senate is his title: Sheev Francis Palpatine, The Senate.

And before we drift any more off topic, how about that General Merrick, eh? Fantastic chap. Could get more use.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Marrick and Garvan's backstory together is really cool from the mentions we got about it, I would love to see it in a short story

jSarek likes this.
  24. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    Now there's a AU to be told.

All it needs for me is Luke and Han joining the Rebellion In Spite of a Nail. (Maybe Bail feels that with the immediate escalation into full-blown warfare, he sends Leia on a secret mission to Tatooine to recruit General Kenobi...)

25. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018