main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Underused Sequel Characters - Which one had the biggest potental?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solister, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Solister

Solister Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2019
    Sorry if this thread already has been brought, but I don't know how threads with the same subject are treated.

So, I don't think I need to explain this. The Sequels brought us lots of new characters, some which many loved, others many hated, yet there's also those who got too much screen time, and those who got too short screen time. I want to talk specifically about this last one.

I know talking about this can lead to a complex subject as if we consider what could've been made with the Sequels universe but set with a different story and direction, but let's try to focus simply on the characters personalities. For who would you pay to see a new movie/series about them, or you think simply could've been better used in the trilogy?

Personal note: Let's try to focus specifically on Sequels characters, not PT/OT recurring characters. Also, I'm mostly seeking for secondary characters, so I don't think "Rey, as her character story/concept was terrible" is a valid argument, but I'll let this subjective for anyone.

5. Zorrii Bliss
    [​IMG]

I think mentioning someone from the last movie of the Trilogy is something a bit complex as she has nothing to do with the other movies, but I'll assume, I'm just adding her for closing the Top 5. She even had some good moments on Episode IX, but then it completely missed in Episodes VII and VIII. She had a past in common with Poe, so it could be interesting to know what happened there and a bit more of her past.

4. Poe Dameron
    [​IMG]

Talking about Poe himself, I think he is the least used from the main trio (Rey, Finn, Poe) but also the one which had some of the biggest potential. I think if Finn's story was portrait by him, it could be a bit better, but at all, I think everyone sees in him what the next Han Solo could be like, so for this reason, I guess he's one of the characters which had most potential from the trilogy.

3. Rose Tico
    [​IMG]

Polemic point on the countdown. I know she have some haters, but she might be one of the few things I appreciate in TLJ. Yeah, most of his arc, specially the Finn one, was terrible, but as a character per se, she could've been better used, specially as some kind of transmitter between the Resistance base and the one in action. I can even see her as, when everything was going down, she comes up and give the help they need. (Like Han in the first Death Star destruction).

2. Lieutenant Connix
    [​IMG]

Well, I could even ignore the past three characters, but these next two, the production really disappointed me for not using them more. I think the one which best reflects this is Connix. Carrie Fisher's daughter IRL and attendant for Rey's role, it seems JJ even created a role specially for her in TFA, but then, I believe she could have been a way potential character, like the suggestion I said for Rose, but maybe someone more involved with diplomacy/resistance work. I could also see in her as Leia's substitute if it would be another sequel trilogy.
    Note:
    Just a reminder, Connix (Billie Lourd) is not daughter of Princess Leia, but her actress (Carrie Fisher).

1. Maz Kanata
    [​IMG]

Hailing from Han Solo's smuggler friendships, Maz Kanata role in TFA even was satisfactory, but then she disappeared and is almost forgot in TLJ and TROS. I even believe she might be the best addictions from the Sequels and the whole Takodana scene was the most original thing in TFA, but then she went in such decline which is really pretty sad. By what's said, she have a long time and good knowledge from the Star Wars past which can be very interesting to know her past, as well was one of the most trained for being a hero on the Sequels.

And how about you. Do you have any Sequel character which could've been more used? I know there isn't much more options, but do you agree with my list? Disagrees? Who you would like to see receive it's own material?

2. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I'm with you on Zorri, Connix, and Maz. I did not expect to see Connix beyond that cameo in TFA, so it was enjoyable to see her as part of Poe's mutiny in TLJ as well as appearing in TROS in Leia's Endor outfit. Nice. Lots of chemistry between Poe and Zorri, and the intriguing backstory between them reminded me a great deal of Black Widow, Hawkeye, and 'Budapest'. Some throw-away lines simply deserve an entire movie of their own.

And, Maz, Maz, Maz ... totally underused, especially in TROS. She was key to helping us better understand how that blue lightsaber of Luke's ended up in her possession after being lost at Cloud City. I know the visual dictionary gives a throw-away explanation, but this is one of those 'good stories, for another time' that should have showed up in one of the films. Besides, who doesn't love Maz. Quite an intriguing character. Force-sensitive? Believer in Jedi philosophy? What has she seen over the last thousand years, and how has it motivated her?

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Without a doubt, Finn. The concept was a character who was a former stormtrooper. Great! They got an absolutely fantastic, talented young actor to play him. Great! So the character goes from a brainwashed soldier who breaks his indoctrination to... what, exactly? A comic relief sidekick? Certainly to someone who yells “Rey!” a lot.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Zorii was probably my favorite new addition and I did not expect that going in. I hope they do something fun with her in a comic or animation.

Maz could have used a far better role. Such a cool character, but hardly used. I hope someone explores her past.

Needed way more Connix in TROS.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Absolutely. It was one of the most frustrating things about 'TLJ' in my opinion. He was a character that had so much room to grow. Of all the characters introduced to us in 'TFA' he is the one who had the most interesting arc. 'TLJ' sort of forgets this and his story arc of gaining courage is forgotten and thrown to the side. Instead his wounds are the butt of a joke scene while and a character who didn't have a name or identity spends a movie having to learn how rough the galaxy is.

6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Zorri Bliss was frankly useless, and she's one of the reason why we have the problem of wasted characters in the first place.

While I wasn't a fan of Rose in TLJ, I did find it odd how they basically ignored her in TROS. It's particularly sad, since it's quite clear that the producers decided to gave up in front of the wrath of racists and right wingers.

Maz was criminally underused both in TLJ and in TROS. We finally had an interesting character with peculiar features and they gave it up for new characters I couldn't care less about. I do understand that CGI is more difficult to handle, but still, looks like a wasted opportunity to do something new.

I don't care about Connix, but maybe D'Acy could have been on screen a bit more.

afrojedi likes this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think it kinda started in the third act of TFA. They thought of the character (janitor!), then didn’t really know what to do with him.

8. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Can I just say
    HUX DESERVED BETTER

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Which of the three Hux?

Merrin and someoneinpassing like this.
  10. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    R2d2

Shadao likes this.
  11. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Obviously for me I'd say Finn had the most potential as a new concept that ultimately went to waste, and because his connection to Phasma as a rival was not capitalized on, I'd put her on the list as well.

I agree with your positions on Rose and Connix; I wasn't a fan of her in TLJ, but in expanded materials I became aware of how she's apparently an extremely skilled mechanic and inventor, so it would've been cool to emphasize her importance post-TLJ by having her develop new tech for Resistance operations.

With Connix, I liked her expanded role in TLJ and it would've been cool to see her in more of a leadership role than what we got.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  13. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    There's a LOT. Finn is # 1. I'd also say Knights of Ren and Hux, especially in IX.

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    As someone who was hoping for the fun of seeing BB8 with a hacked walker more regularly after he had fun recking FO troops left and right while happily beeping away I’m a little disappointed that it didn’t happen. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want a Pixar animated short film of just BB8 in a hacked walker kicking ass. Let’s have some fun!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  15. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Huh? General Armitage Hux, ;)

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We need an entire trilogy with Babu Frik as the main character! Make it happen, LFL! :p

17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Zorii was cool. She had instant chemistry with Poe.

Phasma could have been used in a different way.

Lor San Tekka had a lot of potential as a guru/wise man.

Snoke, of course.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m tempted to say “all of them,” but especially Kylo and Rey. Just take out “Ben Solo”, make Kylo a great hateable villain, and make Rey a Skywalker. Problem solved!

Just Kidding.

Somewhat.

Really the answer is probably Finn, Phasma, and Rose. Finn should have stayed a Deuteragonist and gotten something worth his while, Phasma should have been an awesome villain for him instead of a waste of Gwendolyn’s Christy, and Rose should have gotten that conflict with Finn involving Paige’s death that Johnson didn’t want to write and then become mechanic buddies with Rey.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Which one? Tfa-Hux, TLJ-Hux, or TROS-Hux? 'cause they have been written as if they were three different characters

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Babu Frik.

Babu Frik could have waltzed in unnoticed and disrupted Sidious' life support equipment. And, once he landed this decisive blow, he would not look all pouty or die. He would laugh maniacally while everything crumbled.

21. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Zorrii Bliss is a cypher zero nobody who stepped off Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Is she there for Chinese / Japanese market? Should not have been included.

Poe Dameron should have been a cameo in first act of TFA. Exposition/mentor/kickoff appearances are perfectly respectable, just like Lor San Tekka. Could have fridged Poe, who effected Finn's escape, to motivate Finn.

Rose Tico is not a cypher zero nobody, but she was mangled in the total carnage of vacuous signalling in a geopolitical vacuum. She could have been an exponent of geopolitical subtlety. Failure of writing.

Connix is a justified cameo because she is related to Star Wars royalty, in stark contrast to Abrams nepotistically throwing serious bones to Bad Reboot alumni Greg Grunberg (worst offense), Dominic Monaghan (bad), and Ken Leung (tolerable). I'm not aware of Rian Johnson's nepotistic inclusions in TLJ. Connix could have had a bit background part with responsibility, not in any way visually or visibly attached to General Organa. Just a competent staffer. Keep it not weird or giggle tee hee. Let her show chops.

Maz Katana is a cypher zero nobody whose purposes is to give Han Solo a B side and glue Rey to Luke's Anakin's light saber. She could have been more than nothing by having a sensical (non-nonsensical) speech about the nature of the Force, kind of like Chirrut Imwe added fine philo dough layers to OT and PT ideas of The Force.

Phasma could have been an exponent of the First Order's military prowess by NOT being tossed in a garbage compactor for who? Who? Who walked away with a spring in their step because Han Solo threw an Imperial, the top attack dog, in the garbage? How so unspeakably clever. Failure of writing.

Finn could have been a broad set of statements about what it is like to be on the inside of an ideology. What is it like to wake up from that, and how does it change you and your priorities. NOPE. I do not subscribe to the common wish that Finn >is< Force sensitive, because it was not indicated in testimony in session. Whether or not Finn >is< Force sensitive, he had a huge perspective to peruse.

Maximum magnitude of potential wasted goes to... Finn. Second most is between Phasma and Rose Tico.

22. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have never seen so many underused characters in the saga.

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Connix. She was built up in TLJ, and while her presence in ROS was nice, it seemed like they didn't utilize the character properly. I was expecting the torch to be passed to her as well, not just Poe (and Finn). I'm eager to see what deleted scenes of her might exist, or if JJ just brushed her aside for one of his buddies.

teamhansolo likes this.
  24. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Zorri and Hux

La Calavera and teamhansolo like this.
  25. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Ah I see what you mean now [face_laugh]
    Tros hux, they'd been building up his character for a while and just when he had the potential to be more, he was abruptly shot by Pryde. I'm not completely objecting to his death, but the way it was so sudden and quick made him seem unimportant although he's arguably one of the more main characters,

3sm1r likes this.