main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Underused Sequel Characters - Which one had the biggest potental?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solister, Jan 6, 2020.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Rey wasn’t a leader.
    Poe was already a General.
    And Poe made Finn one in TROS.

Rey was not a leader. Nor was she ever given a military rank. Believe me, I specifically went through the three films to see if she was ever given a rank or leadership position. She never was.

It’s the one thing you could say Poe and maybe Finn have on her.

2. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    And yet the two generals followed her around on those convoluted video game-like treasure hunts, so she was basically their leader. And since she was the best pilot too, Poe, whose singular skill was piloting, had to sit in the back (which is great in my book but his fans feel otherwise). of course, he could have been her co-pilot but Chewiefans would throw a fit so...

3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Maybe the entire film should have only featured Rey, as everyone else was reduced to background noise!

Blueandwhite and RetropME like this.
  4. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I'd argue that Finn had huge potential that got a bit squandered.

Rose too. Absolutely should've had a bigger role in TROS.

5. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I would say Maz Kanata was underused in Episode VIII / IX and Phasma in VIII.
    Luke was underused in VII and IX but was nearly perfect in THE LAST JEDI.
    Now I really don't care about Finn.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I would say R2D2.

But at his age, I’d retire and let the whipper snappers do all the running around and screaming too.

7. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    The knights of Ren....

I know the comics and books will flesh these guys out but potentially they could've been great.

I liked them in the rise of kylo ren comic series but would've been cool if we learned a bit more about them in the movie

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think that Finn's background was a very intriguing component of the plot and it was resolved too quickly and inconsequentially. After TFA the fact that he used to be a Stormtrooper is barely mentioned few times and it has almost zero relevance in the story.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Luke Skywalker was underused in TFA :p

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Rose's sidelining in TROS is by far the biggest blemish.

GregMcP likes this.
  11. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    The guy in TROS whose first reaction to hearing Palpatine has returned is to say "So it must be dark science or cloning."
    He then shows up again to translate the Sith transmission before Rey starts her flight to Exegol.

He would've made a far more interesting third wheel than Poe's old girlfriend or Finn's rule 63 replacement because he knew far more about the Sith than any one man should.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This alone would’ve significantly strengthened the trilogy.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Connix! One of the few rebels in the trilogy that doesn't constantly annoy me.

Chancellor Yoda and HevyDevy like this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, Maz. Of course. The Sequel's Yoda remake. A cute interesting character with a great actor behind her.

And DARTH VADER. Again, they setup this nice little story of Kylo being obsessed with his Granddad, but then let it fizzle away.
    So much could have been done with that. Could have had some nice Ghost Anakin moments that linked up the 3 trilogies and added more psychological complexities into Kylo's character.

whostheBossk and HevyDevy like this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Finn, for all the obvious reasons. Rose as well. Next, the Knights of Ren. Finally, hear me out: Kylo Ren.

The piloting skills of Anakin & Han, the leaderships skills of Leia & Anakin, the diplomacy skills of Padme, the aptitude for mechanics of Han & Anakin, the improvisational skills of Han; all of that combined with the Skywalker Force potential and Vader’s ruthlessness? That would’ve been an utter nightmare of a villain. Instead, we got...

[​IMG]

upload_2020-6-26_6-43-52.jpeg

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    On another message board, I asked how many people thought Kylo *or* Ben had lived up to his potential... and I don’t think I got any triumphant optimists.

Kylo Ren’s potential was as a villain. Ben Solo’s potential was as a hero (fallen or otherwise.)

Ben Solo was five minutes of mono-syllabic improv by Driver - Driver did great that mono-syllabic improv, but it didn’t change what it was. Not really the stuff great heroes are made of.

Kylo Ren got one movie where he was intentionally restricted to an immature and “pre-pubescent” villainous form, where he showed some of Han’s humor, very real fanatical ruthlessness, and some inkling if his jaw dropping power... but all tied up with massive immaturity, obsessiveness to the point of a liability, and exaggerated insecurity. I think that portrayal has merit, provided a) you intend for him to have a dynamic character arc going forward (a “Villain’s Journey,” if you will), and b) you don’t kind and been maybe desire he be seen as a loathsome “little Sithspit.” But...

...Neither of the other two movies progressed him down a Villain’s Journey, or were capable of treating him as a loathsome little Sithspit without hemming-and-hawing about what Ben could be.

I feel like he’s a half baked “Frankenstein‘ed” Pie: He has a solid, savory crust designed for mincemeat, but then has some weird, overly sugared sausage for a filling because they wanted you to think it was sweet when it was still bitte, than topped with light and insubstantial whipped cream.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I've said this before but I liked Kylo better with the mask on.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The mask really worked as a storytelling device for a villain - even when Kylo took it off in TFA, it was less a humanizing gesture or look and more of a destabilization and wild, chaotic approach to the character. With it on, he was the more controlled-seeming menacing silhouette, and the dichotomy between his childish tantrum and the image he wanted to project was actually kind of interesting.

When Abrams brought it back, it was more of a simple accessory.

And without that storytelling element, and the more focused projection of menace by Driver, his immaturity and more pathetic elements were inescapable, which only aggravated the issues with trying to treat perpetually maskless Kylo as a sympathetic character with supposed complexity when the script wasn’t really managing either of those... and when TFA had pretty clearly made maskless Kylo just as hateable as masked Kylo.

19. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    I think Finn should have been allowed to complete his self-imposed mission to ram the "cannon" (TLJ), or whatever that was. The explosion probably would have wiped out the entire First Order contingent allowing the defenders to leave in safety. Finn would then have been hailed a hero of the Republic/Rebellion.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    Yes, he did.Tavarow had a fitting arc for him but, KK and Disney freaked out.

21. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    1) Finn. The concept of his character is amazing. A young man who escapes a tyrannical system to seek a life of his own is totally in keeping of both Star Wars and something George would do. But even in TFA he doesn't do that much. Finn's character intro is great in the beginning, but for some odd reason his character quickly becomes a comic relief side character, and not even in an endearing way like Han in ANH. Once he meets up with Rey she quickly becomes the focus of the movie and he gets left by the wayside, only really showing interesting potential on Starkiller Base when he fights Kylo (don't get me started with the ridiculous Phasma encounter or "janitor" background reveal).

His first film wasn't perfect, but there was still potential for the rest of the trilogy that unfortunately gets dropped. I see what Rian was going for in TLJ, but it was just so uninteresting and poorly executed. But to me his worst treatment is in TROS. I had hopes JJ would steer his character on a more interesting path (since he created him and all), but he was basically as much of a non factor as Han was in ROTJ. He was there basically just to bounce off Rey, and when Rey left after defeating Kylo his arc just became about becoming a rebel leader, I guess? Again, not TERRIBLE but just so uninspired. There was potential when Janna was introduced as a former stormtrooper just like Finn, but it was too late in the game for anything to come out of it.

2) The Knights of Ren. Now, I wasn't expecting anything crazy development-wise out of them, but the fact that they've been teased since before TFA and didn't show up until TROS...only for them to do nothing just didn't sit well with me. I get the feeling that JJ wanted them to be the new dark side baddies post-RotJ, Kylo's own personal warriors that replace the now extinct Sith. But with the decision to revive Palpatine in TROS and bring the Sith back as the main enemy in the final episode, I think their role in the story was diminished and they became basically just bounty hunters that answer to Kylo.

3) Rose. I didn't hate her character like some did, but needless to say she could have had a bigger role in TROS, and it's a shame they put her on the wayside. It felt like when Jar Jar returned in AOTC and barely had a role in the film due to reaction from the fans.

4) Maz. Basically was there only for exposition, then disappeared in TFA when JJ realized her character was pointless from there on out. Then in TLJ...again, only appears to progress the plot. Then in TROS didn't really do much either. I dunno, hard for me to think what they could have done with her character, but one can't help but get the feeling her role in TFA could have been fulfilled by Leia.

22. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    ha ha the Sithologist. Yes, agreed. He would be a welcome Basil Exposition.

@ezekiel22x I unironically think that Connix could have done everything Rose did in TLJ. It would have been more organic if it was a character we knew already given that the movie picked up right where TFA left off.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    To accurately judge the OP question you need to ask did the Original Trilogy have as many underused characters with so much potential?

This is hard to answer as so many secondary and peripheral characters were expanded on in the EU in the years following 1983. I suppose we will only really get an answer in the following years as writers take characters with little screen time, expand on that and create a fuller, more rounded character. May be the answer lies in that there aren't many of these peripheral characters that can drive the imaginations of writers, who'd want to explore further adventures of the Master Codebreaker, Klaud or Colonel Caplan?

24. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I think all the characters were underused.

25. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    He has his own thread but Finn is my choice.