main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~Underworld~ Are you Lycan or Vampire? A Fan Club.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by dragonsith13, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    [image=http://rhapody2000.free.fr/images/wallpapers/underworld2b.jpg]

Are you a fan of the Underworld movies? I know there is a comic entitled this that the movies where based on, I would love to have some people whom are familiar with that as well enter into this threads discussions!

I have seen both movies and they are two of my favorties.

Please lets start up a strong following here I am interested to meet and draw out my fellow creatures of the night!

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Just a quick note, please try and keep the conversation based on the movies only. If it's centrally based around the comics it'll need to be moved to the Books / Comics Forum.

:)

3. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Of course, if anything I was look for possible brief comparisons... and speculations on hopefully an upcoming movie and any clues that the cmoics might hold.

All this of course being intertwined in what hopefully will be a good discussion about the movies!

4. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    If you don't mind, I'd like to request more information about these comics. I don't want to derail the thread before it even begins, but I was under the impression that it is an original story created jointly by Kevin Grevioux, Len Wiseman, and Danny McBride. All I ever heard about there being a comic was in with all the other accusations that started when the first one was released (ripping off White Wolf, copying The Matrix, Blade, etc.), apart from the comic that comes with the extended edition DVD (which is just the film in comic form). I'm a fan of the films and enjoyed them both very much, but I'm curious what you are referring to.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well there isn't much to say about the comics anyways.

The movies aren't based on any comic. Like Padme-Wan_SkyWindu said the original story was created by Gevioux (Raze from the first movie), Wiseman (Mr. Beckensale to you), and McBride (Mason in the first movie). IDW did the comic adaptation (which as mentioned was available in the extended cut DVD) and one prequel mini which wasn't very good at all and contradicts what we actually know from the movies.

Thats it.

Good movies though. I'm hooked on Evolutions right now. Can't wait for the DVD so I can stop spending five bucks a pop to watch it :p

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I found this incredibly unwatchable, in the literal sense of the word.

Watched the DVD end to end on a PC (so my Dad could see it), and it was too dark to discern anything apart from some gun flashes and the windows of some subway trains at the start, and then an hour later, what I assume was a dream sequence.
    I did wonder if some kind of setting adjustment was necessary to see what was happening, but my Dad made the logical comment that if the settings were okay for his Stargate SG-1 and Alias discs, it clearly wasn't the computer's fault.

It worked okay on my DVD player, but after seeing a mostly black screen for two hours, I no longer cared.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Action in this movie = fun. Everything else was grating, especially the main character, Salyn. Some of her lines were just ugh.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It could still be a setting. Different DVDs react different ways. Could of been a bad disc too. That was one of my inital complaints when I saw the first one in the theater but later I found out the cheap asses at that theater turn down the bulb to extend the life of it. Watching it on DVD was much much better. It is a movie of contrasts so there can be darkness problems but like I said I didn't experence it on DVD.

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Why can't we be both Lycan and Vampire? Ever since the first movie there are now hybrids, right?

:D

10. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I really liked the first movie and have yet to see the second one - I just loved the mixture of sci-fi and fantasy tales intertwined into modern day times. Was the second one worth seeing compared to the first?

11. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I definitely think so. I love the first one and personally feel the second one is better. It ups the ante on the action scale and expands greatly on the characters.

12. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    That's what I gathered from the trailers and such. I'd like to check it out I just haven't had the chance. Perhaps this weekend... [face_thinking]

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I agree. I thought it was better then the first one.

Over in amp those of us posting in the thread seemed evenly split on if it was better then the first one or not (in other words I thought it was the other guy disagreed).

I think it will be even better when it hits DVD. There will inevitably be an extended cut at one point or another and hopefully it will address some of the pacing issues I thought the movie had.

14. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    I just saw the scond one recently.

I cannot decide however which one I like better, both I believe are so good. Aside from Bram Strokers (sp)Dracula I think they are best vampire movies out there.

I am sorry everyone if I was mistaken about the comic, I could have sworn I heard about a comic book.. I do know about the one include with the dvd.

And hopefully they will release a good extended, ultimate edition dvd as they did with the first one, I have no doubts the won't.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i've only seen the 1st one. i thought it was ok. nothing i'd buy on dvd though

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I havn't seen Underworld since it was in theatres years ago, but I did see Evolution and I stand by my opinion that Celine can bite me anytime she feels like it.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the only modern vampire movies i like are the Blade movies

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I caught the sequel in the theater a few days ago and really enjoyed it. It had been a long time since I saw the first one and had to go out and buy it to help refresh my memory so I'll be able to understand the sequel better. I felt they did a good job with it. I hope they make a third film.

19. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    I would hope they make anohter one! They have a strong following now, I love how they portray the two factions in the movies.

And the part about the Lycan at one time being the slaves of the Vampires was cool!

I think Viktors clothes are so cool after he gets fully regenerated! I love the enthings on his coat.

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    If they do a third film, I'd love to see Viktor's history explored more. Especially when/why he decides to make Selene become a vampire. The second film just teases that with flashbacks.

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You think? I thought we got what we needed from the first and second film on Selene's relationship to Viktor.

I'm still trying to figure out what would work as a third movie. I would like to see one but everything seemed fairly well wrapped up.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    is the sequel worth seeing?

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    If you like the Blade movies I see no reason you wouldn't like it.

Its good for the type of movie it is. Stuff blows up, people take off their clothes, lots of blood, what more could you want?

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    perhaps a pizza:p

25. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    There is a lot of blood in the movie, it was pretty graphic too, I do not mind though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.