main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Underworld planned to have revealed Palpatine's love life?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jun 16, 2016.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  2. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    So a young Palpatine got his heart crushed?
    Somebody please make this into something! Preferably live-action or animated! George Lucas's Palps backstory!

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Being wronged by a woman doesn't necessarily mean that it happened in a romantic way. Still, this is a sad reminder that we'll never going to get access to those scripts...

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. CaptainRegor

Nov 15, 2012
    True! Perhaps I'm just a romantic? Haha. Would be fantastic to see this story though! Palps as a sympathetic character!

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the writer means that this is how the average Imperial citizen saw Palpatine? This is nothing next to "Palpatine is a weak old man who Mace Windu assaulted."

CaptainRegor likes this.
  6. CaptainRegor

Nov 15, 2012
    Haha. Yeah, poor kind uncle Palpy. Look at what that evil Master Windu did to his face!

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if this woman could be Talzin.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe with Talzin it was the other way around:

"My history with the Dathomir witches goes back further than you know. Maul came to me as a child -- a not so-appreciated gift from Mother Talzin. Her spite for me runs deep..." - Darth Sidious

But it's a possibility.

Sauron_18 and mes520 like this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That sounds a lot more interesting.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They didn't talk much about Sheev's mother in the Plagueis novel. They mentiond that Cosinga was violent, so you wonder if Sheev got anything from his mother. Maybe he got violence from Cosinga and manipulation from his mother?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Cosinga? Sheev? Who the heck came up with those names?

ATMachine and Paparazzo like this.
  13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm glad this plot element never came to fruition. Having Palpatine's motivation be heartbreak (assuming the article is correct) would have severely demystified him .

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    From what I understand, Sheev came from Lucas but he never used it and Cosinga came from Legends.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. Some characters don't need sympathetic backgrounds.

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah this sounds kind of awful. I like my Emperor Palpatine evil and manipulating just because that is how he is, he doesn't need a sympathetic story that helps explain how he became the way he is.

17. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-w...d-tv-series-mind-blowing-sympathetic-emperor/

and

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star...ld-have-made-the-emperor-a-sympathetic-figure

So I thought this was an interesting read for Emperor Palpatine and OT fans. In Star Wars: Underworld, Palpatine was supposed to be "sympathetic" and "wronged" by someone. I personally hate this idea, Palpatine, for me, is the personification of evil and an incarnation of the dark side it self- a sympathetic Emperor would tarnish this reputation.

An interesting point of view, nonetheless. ;)

This articles highlights the costs and benefits of exploring the character of Palpatine: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3976901

Seagoat likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He's no King Claudius. I'm personally not interested in Palpatine's past and would prefer to keep it that way
    Maybe he was abused as a child. Maybe not and he was groomed to be perfect and given everything he ever wanted. Either idea works fine

But exactly. He isn't sympathetic and I don't want to see him in that light. He's the personification of evil

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like the idea. I don't believe anyone begins wholly evil. That's selling them short.

20. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

I both agree and disagree with you. Palpatine, through his own eyes, was probably making the galaxy a better place through fear and oppression of the people. In some respects, he was correct in his philosophy and it worked in some instances.

However, from an external perspective, he was a tyrannical and evil. I also believe he was born evil; he had an innate affinity and attraction to the dark side. So a nice Palpatine would never work for me. :p

ATMachine and DarthCricketer like this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To each their own. I simply see Sheev as a man like anyone else in SW. Though he did seem to cause the most suffering and commit the most evil acts.

TheReal_Rebel and Dandelo like this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Darth Sidious: "I thought the date went well. I don't know why Mon Mothma hasn't called me back."
    Darth Vader: "Have you tried murdering a bunch of people yet? That's worked for me in the past."

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    None of this "to each their own" drive-bys.

Make an argument, or don't make one.

Posting comments that you know will be controversial and then shrugging it off with "to each their own" can and will be considered trolling.

24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If Sidious was to be a main character, I would want him to have some sort of arc and character development. I would not want to see him cackling like a crazed Sith Lord for 100 episodes.
    If Sidious was to be a character that appears sporadically, only popping up during massive episodes, then I don't mind if he's just there to remind us how evil he is.

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Sigh. I'm conflicted on this. On one hand, I'm sitting here hoping that one day, someone will greenlight Underworld and throw as much money at it as necessary, because everything I've heard about it sounds fascinating and I'd love to have weekly high-quality Star Wars on my TV to look forward to. But this... this is the exact thing I don't want. This is the same kind of thing that gave us 10-year-old Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones. It's demystification with the intent of deepening a character but having the reverse effect of making them less interesting by filling in pages that are best left blank.