main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Unfamiliar {Han and Luke oneshot, post-Sacrifice} **Best Canon - Thanks!**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Myriad_Daydreams, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Title: Unfamiliar
    Timeframe: Post-Sacrifice
    Characters: Han, Luke

A/N: Hello. I wrote a fic today. :p It's un-beta'd (sorry diva!) because I wrote it on a whim, as a reaction to the events in LOTF, trying to get into the minds of the characters. Not really expecting much feedback, mostly because this is a strange manifestation of my thoughts... though I'd love to hear your kind words [face_batting] I hope this isn't too far off the mark ;)

As Han Solo, I can definitely say I?ve known the kid longer than most people. And I should know, more than most, that power doesn?t change Luke the way it would most people.

First being the only Jedi, then only Jedi Master, then self-promotion to Grand Master, it is natural to think all that power would go straight to his head, right? Not Luke. He?s about as far from controlling than any of us. When he?s needed most and his advice is the most sought in the galaxy, he takes it in stride, never placing himself above others. Heck, even when I?ve seen him teaching the little apprentices on Yavin he?s as approachable as it gets.

After Mara?s death, everything changed.

Suddenly the levelheaded, observant, and thoughtful farmboy-turned-Jedi Master seemed to dissipate into the rest of the mess this civil war has caused. Suddenly I?d turn on the holo and hear something he said, or an action he took, and think to myself ?Is this the right Luke Skywalker here?? It hurt to know it [i]was[/i] that very same Luke Skywalker.

I know death hurts, kid, but did you really have to take it this far?

Him and Mara, they were close. I could feel it, even without that Force business. I was skeptical at first, but over the years I?ve come to realize there could be no other woman for him?the complemented each other perfectly. It did not surprise me how much her death affected him? but is it cruel of me to think he needs to pick himself up a little bit?

He seems so [i]empty[/i]. Unwilling to keep moving. The galaxy continues to spin on without him.

Now when someone walks into the room, its like he puts on a mask for everyone. Hides the real Luke inside, pretending to be the Jedi Master for however long it takes to finish a task. No more approachable Luke Skywalker, father, husband, and brother. Just an empty Grand Jedi Master.

Sometimes I think he leaves the mask on without realizing it, and even his own damn family can?t get through to him.

Leia invites him over whenever there?s time, and tries to make everything better. Hell, even I find myself saying sentimental things quite out unusual for me? but it just doesn?t help. At times he?ll seem to be all right, but it never lasts.

Sometimes I?d glance over at him when he thought no one was looking, and I?d see something in his eyes that was never there before. Or rather, saw the lack of something. His eyes can pierce a person?s soul, I?ll tell you. Be friend or foe, there was intensity in the way he looked at you. But at that moment they just seemed empty. Like someone had flipped off a switch. It was near eerie the way I?ll just catch him staring off into the distance, glazed over. That never used to happen.

After awhile he?ll snap back into reality after staring like that, and plaster a weary smile over his face. Who did he think he was fooling? I didn?t buy it for a minute.

He is a changed man. Leia has noticed it, Ben?s noticed it, hell I?m sure the whole galaxy has noticed it except for him. And the only person who could set him straight is the only one not here?Mara.

Here he is now, coming though the door of Leia and my apartment. Once again he?s got that artificial smile on again. Leia embraces him, smiling as well. I suppose it?s my turn now to exchange the frivolities of conversation and pretend everything is normal once again.

Wary as I was of the Jedi, we could always have a civil agreement between us. After all, all of my kids were Jedi, not to mention we?ve been through so much I have to believe in it eventually. Now when the subject gets brought u

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Myriad, you nailed it!!! That's exactly how it would be if that actually happened :p ;) Luke's like an emotional amputee. Your things on the whim are quite excellent. =D= Hugs!!!!!

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Oh! I liked! :D Very nice perspective with Han. And completely believeable. :(

My favorite line:

And the only person who could set him straight is the only one not here?Mara.

:_| :_| Too true. :( But we love you Luke, we're here for you. [face_love]

4. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    [:D] to Luke, and to you for writing this.

Great introspection, you nailed Han and Luke's characters -- they were both very believable, and I just wanted to give them hugs. :_| Mara should be around to set Luke straight. Although, he'd never be in this mess if she was still around.

Nice job, Myriad! @};-

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    So sad! :_| We can only wish him some peace.

Well done! =D=

6. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    :_|:_|
    That was wonderful!! =D= Perfect job on Han's voice. Perfect characterizations. Loved it!![face_love]
    Heartbreaking, but very believable and real. Lovely job!! @};- Hugs for writing such a great fic!![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    WOW...very deep. awesome characterization and precise analysis of Luke. And I loved it from Han's perspective. Amazing fic!

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    That was awesome, Myriad! You nailed Han's characterization perfectly! =D= Loved it!

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Nice job! I like how you used Han's voice here. Sometimes the most incisive looks at a character's personality come from how people around him react, and this is a great example.

What is sad/creepy here most is the beginnings of distrust. But it's totally believable.

Good work! =D=

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What I used to know, what I used to rely on, is unfamiliar now.

:_|:_|:_|:_|

That was so heartbreaking!!

Poor lost Luke.

I'm going to believe a day came when his family was able to reach him.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Very nice - I liked the insight into Han's thoughts about Luke.

Great last line.

12. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    :_| Me too!!

And Myriad, would you mind PMing this lovely fic to me for the Luke/Han friendship index? [face_batting] (which I hopefully will find some time to get up and posted soon[face_blush] )

13. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Nice job on Han's voice! =D=

14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Well done, Myriad! Han's voice is at once a criticism of Luke and a lament of his change.

Now when someone walks into the room, its like he puts on a mask for everyone. Hides the real Luke inside, pretending to be the Jedi Master for however long it takes to finish a task. No more approachable Luke Skywalker, father, husband, and brother. Just an empty Grand Jedi Master.

Nice description of Luke after Mara's death. I hope he snaps out it soon.

15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    . . . wrote it on a whim, as a reaction to the events in LOTF, trying to get into the minds of the characters. Not really expecting much feedback, mostly because this is a strange manifestation of my thoughts...

Okay, seriously, you need to write on a whim more often, because that was just bloody brilliant!=D= :p Han's voice was so IC, and you've perfectly picked apart Luke in LoTF. Thanks for that![:D]

~MJ@};-

16. Skywalker277

Skywalker277 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2007
    that was soooo beautiful!! That was just the Han I wanted to here about, or read about.

17. DarthFenrir

DarthFenrir Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2008
    I've got to say, that is good. I almost believed that was official. But then I realized I was on my computer. *laughs*
    Your pretty good at this, hope to see more from you.

18. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    cool. loved it.

19. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    :_| Poor Luke. And now you're affecting Han, too. :( Very nice, very-- you can see that Luke put so much of himself into Mara and that relationship, and how much Han cares about his little brother. :(

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I really thought I had replied to this, but my memory must not be so good. Anyway, it was a great characterization of Han, and how perceptive he is. Luke is changed now, and he'll never be the same again.

My favorite paragraph (tho I liked them all):

He is a changed man. Leia has noticed it, Ben?s noticed it, hell I?m sure the whole galaxy has noticed it except for him. And the only person who could set him straight is the only one not here?Mara.

21. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    This was a nice journey though Han's head. I could really hear Han's voice.

Thank you for sharing this.

22. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    It took awhile for me to get these replies up [face_blush] I truly appreciate your kind words for this short little piece [:D]

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much! LOL and we all know it's just one big AU ;) I'm glad you liked it and it made sense!

Jaina_and_Jag: I almost considered taking that line out-- I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for reading

Dana-Skywalker: [:D] to you for reviewing! Funny you should mention the bit about how if Mara was here it wouldn't have happened-- I almost had a line like that in the fic! :D

Jade_Pilot: Indeed @};-:( Thanks for reading!

dancing_star: I knew you would like this :) Thank you SO much! [:D]

JediMaster_JainaSolo: Thanks, I like Han's POV too ;)

Idrelle_Mioccovani: I'm glad it made sense-- this was really on a whim and I was worried it would be completely off target :p

divapilot: Thanks! I thought it would add more to the emotional aspect by actually making it from Han's POV, I guess it worked ;) And sadly, it is totally beliveable with whats been going on in LOTF :(

KELIA: I'd like to believe that too @};- Thanks!

JadeLotus: Thanks, I like that line too

Golden_Jedi: Thank you! I was a little unsure on it [face_worried]

brodiew: Thank you brodie, I'm glad you liked it, and I hope he snaps out of it soon too!

Mira_Jade: Awww, thank you! [:D] I'm so glad you enjoyed! I'll try to write on a whim more often ;)

Skywalker227: Me too-- thanks!

DarthFenir: Why thank you! [face_blush] Glad you liked it!

Tatooine_Ghost: Thank you :)

ShrunkenJedi: I love to see that side of Han that is silent, observing, and watchful of his friends. :D

Jedi-2B: I like that bit too-- shows how she became the one to ground him, and when he suddenly lost her it was hard to keep himself from going crazy :( Thanks for stopping by!

Neo-Paladin: Thank YOU for reading!

Thank you again, everyone :)

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    How did I miss this?
    I bet it was due to Darth College. Grrr....

Han was spot on... I can totally see him thinking these things at this point in time. I love that you chose Han because it kinda mirrors what others saw in him when Chewie died. (I don't know if you intended it to be that way, but I felt it! :) )

And the only person who could set him straight is the only one not here?Mara.
    Loved this line... so very, very true!!

Wonderful job, Myriad!
    =D==D=

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Referring to Luke as 'the kid' was dead on.

Well done.

25. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Re-reading.... :) Congrats on your nom! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.