main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unfinished Plots, Missing Links and the Storytelling Tapestry in New Canon - an Ongoing Compilation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    There's this thread about Canon characters.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Spoiler for the new canon Atlas/Warfare thingy, but yay to the
    Imperial Remnant in Lost Stars being resolved at last.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Really that one? I know about the Inner Rim one but what happened to the Lost Stars Remnant

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh, I was referencing the Core-Inner Rim Imperial Remnant

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

OOoooh okay yeah. I think more the TFA visual dictionary then lost stars.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    What you are asking for is a catalog of every character ever... there is not a single one with no potential for more in the right hands!

I got such lists in my private files, but I see no reason for posting them as everyone got his/her/their favorites on their own lists. I rather post specific ideas and potential that is more likely to be tapped into either as predictions or headcanons.

I hope Boba's character, if they go into detail, will be done like in Legends where Karen Traviss did brilliant work to unite all versions of him and give him a tragic backstory and family that I truly cared about. The actor can really utilize all his skills if a role demands that. But I fear they shy away from such turmoil for now and will first give the old man some action, until old age make him search for his legacy.

That aside, I hope to see some Tagges post ROTJ and without an Empire to support them financially or else. Could you imagine Domina Tagge in Live Action TV? Everybody expects Qi'ra and boom, we get her instead?

Also the less Jaxxon and Valance the better. But someone seems to like them and keep them around sadly. But if they do a green bunny in life action I might print this topic and eat it!

As for Legends characters... do you really want me to open Pandora's box and fantasize about my beloved characters fates and missing story pieces? I think TFN can fill way over a thousand pages already with that. Instead, how about Legends characters that still have untapped potential that may be continued BUT in canon instead, like Thrawn had and made the jump.

Rule of thumb goes like this for Disney:
    Do I smell money? Lets bring it back.
    Can we create someone new that fits the same moneymaking characteristics? Copy paste, rebrand!
    If not, bring the character back and pretend we (re)invented the wheel!

They can't do a non-blue Thrawn.. so Thrawn we got.
    But they damn well can ignore Xizor and Guri and give us Maul and Qi'ra instead.
    Or replace lots of post ROTJ folks with Snoke, Gideon and co.
    Or sooner or later bring Darth Talon back, in a different era as Maul's daughter in place if Lumiya, Tamith Kai or Lomi Plo and all.
    Sloane has yet to take the Daala plunge into madness, probably in a post-Mandoverse Thrawn defeat event to fit the Jedi Academy timeframe they are parallelling like the Zahn trilogy one for Mandoverse.
    And Lor San Tekka to me always will be an Old Peckhum replacement with added interesting backstory!
    Let Mandoverse run its course and when Jedi Academy Trilogy revival is in the coming, you will get Daala/Sloane vs. Ben/Kylo/Kyp and more about Luke's students as well as an Imperial spy studying among them, probably Snoke or Talon or likewise.
    At least they could salvage many ideas not only from Legends but also ST concepts like Talon as Jedi Killer/seductress in a pre-Kylo Jedi Academy tale!

Chrissonofpear2 and Golbolco like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

I was thinking more along the lines of I think Snoke has a lot of untapped potential. Sure he's a Clone of Palpatine but I think you could really do a lot of interesting stuff from that. How does he think about that. Does he know. Is he someone with his own plans and agenda...That sorta thing.

8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I discussed him at length already in this and other topics. To summarize:

Snoke = Clone Palpatine + Cronal + Pestage + Joruus C'baoth + several others

While he fills most of the roles of these, teacher to Luke that turnes out to be fake, evil manipulator, Imperial leader and so on, I think nothing of that would surprise us at this moment.

What really might though is, if they make us think the ST is canons Dark Empire analogue and yet still do a Dark Empire version in between Mandoverse and Jedi Academy as noted above.

How different may that look then, if reserving true Palpatine for the ST? Well, Snoke taking Palpatines spot of course.
    -When Luke figures out Snoke is not a Jedi teacher but rather darker, he has two options, leave or stay and learn of the darkness he intends to fight. Cue Luke infiltrating darkness from the inside as in Legends but getting more and more at odds with Snoke despite learning from him.
    -This too will add later to how Ben views Luke, when Luke is overprotective due to his own fails and dark stint with Snoke, and will add to how Luke is ruled by his own fear at times.
    -Luke may not be a dark commander and give kill commands as in Dark Empire in Legends, but he sure cuts some corners to stay apprenticed for a time and regrets that later. Learning the hard way that ends do not justify the means.
    -DE2's Acolytes like Sedriss etc. could be replaced by the Knights of Ren
    -this canon DE could be less a major war to set the NR back as in Legends, but nevertheless a military operation like the Thrawn one before it to deflect from trails leading to the UR and true FO. Grooming Luke may be more Shadows of Mindor style with Cronal and Luke commanding Imperial troops or intended to, to lesser targets to spare lives but still decides what the lesser evil may be and who will die.. a trap set for him by Snoke, as Palpatine did in DE.
    -You could add a cheesy moment of Darth Talon flirting Luke instead of Ben... or first Luke and laaaater Ben if soap opera levels of awkward. One might even add a Luuke clone made from his hand to deflect from Luke or heroes following up on cloning rumors related to Snoke, the UR and Exegol. So we get Luuke vs Luke after all?
    -And this is where you could do what Legends missed, and bring in Mara Jade into canon, and show her in a Dark Empire scenario (instead of after the fact retconning her in offscreen with her own capture tale and escape as in Legends). She could be a darksider to flirt Luke... and he redeems her but she dies to cover his escape (Forcedoppelganger style maybe as he did with the Solos in DE comics?). Or she lives and vanishes into the UR to seek the true origin they tried to mislead from. (which Luke with Lor San and Savi will do too later as per canon lore). Lost in the UR as a fate for canon Mara? Did she find Exegol? Was she cloned? Heck, did she become Rey's mom even? Anything goes and Jodie Comer would be a spot on perfect nailed it for Mara Jade! A Mara Jade that after flirting Skywalker fell for a younger Palpatine she rescued? It'd be fun if Rey's Forcesensitivity would come from her mom and not forceless dad!
    -And to round up the canon version of DE (non-ST version) we might get a ritual trying to revive an actual Sith (Kun? Revan? Ragnos? Palpatine even?) which of course thx to Luke fails. But with young Ben nearby (as Solokids were on Onderon in DE3), ever since Luke fears if anything latched on to Ben, constantly probing his mind and being overprotective due to Snoke or others attempts at getting to him earlier?

Would that suffice for you? a DE before the ST-DE?

Sauron_18 and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Interesting! I know a lot of this is imagining what could be, but I’m curious if the part of Luke learning from Snoke is widely considered to be likely in canon as it stands? I know the TLJ novelization had a line that implied it, and I tried to learn more about it in the Jason Fry questions threat but to no avail. If so, I’d agree that relationship is prime territory for expansion.

And if the Ascendancy books have taught us anything it’s that you can have great conflicts without upsetting the canonical periods of peace. We know the First Order did away with entire kingdoms in the Unknown Regions, but they may also have prevented new fleets and armies in the known galaxy from being built up in response to its expansion. Once again, very fertile territory there.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've always believed that The Mandoverse can get away with keeping the peace of the New Republic even if Thrawn is up to some big stuff.

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    https://www.starwars.com/news/new-books-revealed

Before I say more, we are getting our most wanted stories and this topics speculations will bear fruit! Luke & Lando search Exegol and Occhi hunts Rey... in a novel 2022 and more goood books!

Lets discuss this in the new topics I made for them and here when I have a general overview for 2022 SW in general later!

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Qui gon and Obi wan novel too the start of their relationship, not yet mandalore mission but not far off.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    From what I glimpsed, it seems they cover all bases and all eras for 2022 with no preference for any one. With the High Republic still the continous event, these standalones keep every other era alive and lacking movies or tv seem to add some meaty story finally. I am surprised though that the Luke/Lando/Occhi/Rey's Parents story got into a novel instead of animation or comics.

The books also seem to align to their tv etc. program. The Padawan Kenobi book with the Kenobi show, the Jedi/Sith anthology with KOTOR remake, the Luke&Lando novel with Mandoverse and beyond if Occhi cameos in it maybe some day too and the Clone Wars book with either also Kenobi show or just keeping the Ahsoka cameos alive with a little pre-Padawan Ahsoka in temple cameo or such maybe.

PS: I'd not be surprised if the Lando/Luke novel with Occhi etc. gets expanded via animation, comics and more soon after tying into it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

I thought i should post this here, this all we know about history of the sith enternal and Snoke so far.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Droid Gotra. When are they going to strike?

16. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    My hope is that Triple-Zero re-emerges as their leader in one of the New Republic era shows.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Book of Boba?

18. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Having a darkly comedic villain could work well for a show with such a serious main character.

ColeFardreamer and Foreign32567 like this.
  19. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    I hope so too, that also can explain his current absence in the comics.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    They could turn the Droid Gotra and in general Droid Rights Activism into the canon version of the Ossus Project failure from Legends.

Have heroes post Endor advocate Droid Rights by example of C3PO, R2 and the likes. Some parts of the galaxy jump on it and try it and hence C3PO leading free voluntary droids in his spynetwork he is the king of in TFA! But the wider galaxy reverted back after some of this golden age for droids and droidrights movement backfired when the Droid Gotra got under control of either Triple Zero or other likewise influences and turned lots of free droids into murderbots for an even greater droid rebellion that had to be put down.

But given droid freedom in TFA and the ST I'd say this story may be better told post Episode IX.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    This story can also adapt the idea from "Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88", with Xyston (fitted with efficient automation systems) instead of Death Star II.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Storytelling Tapestry update due to the latest developments:

New movies need new playgrounds, so rumors have it that pre-Prequels is likely. Especially with Rogue Squadron and delayed Feige's movie getting a director announced, as well as Taika's movie having once hinted with some obscure art at something interesting, it seems likely that SW will not go into the future but the past once more.

But lets keep in mind what we discussed here earlier, new canon, while new is still continuing some trends from Legends, and while rewriting the movie eras mostly, where they could they so far evaded overwriting Legends works in the past. That is not to say that it won't happen there too one day, but simply that the creators that also grew up with Legends are trying to find their own slots and not tap on any Legends toes if there is an empty spot serving their vision as well (even if they could use any as Legends is nothing they are beholden to anymore sadly).

So most likley slots are those taken so far neither by Legends nor Canon. Another trend is, that canon tends to use as "past" rather the last 1000 years instead of 25000 years. As evident with the High Republic, canon rather fills those centuries instead of Legends that operated into millennia steps. If they need Sith and Sith Wars they will sure go to the NSW, not the old Sith Wars first. Origin stories, while dated much older usually, are vague and rather undated if possible. TCW dates the Jedi signal coming from the Mortis monolith as 2000 years old! While Legends claimed the Mortis gods far older and the signal stemming from previous visitors only, canon may well turn the current Mortis residents as having arrived 2000 years ago and replaced previous residends on their thrones.

So the most likely "old" Republic movie may not be the Old Republic we know from Legends but rather either the High Republic, or a new stage before that within the last millennium. Maybe even its beginning with Darth Bane donning TCW Bismark-Samurai armor style. Even after the Ruusan Reformations the Republic was small and expanding as the High Republic is the final expansion phase back into the Outer Rim. The millennium was hardly peaceful and saw many wars and threats, none though as galactic as the New Sith Wars before the Reformation. It took the Jedi 300 years to defeat the Mandalorians finally 700 years before the movies. Other crisis with Dark Jedi instead of Sith happened and Dathomir probably was party to some of them.

Star Wars still is trying itself out with new movies, which was postponed in favor of tv for a while and due to some backlash despite huge successes. So them copying some MCU formula may still be in the works, even if it is less evident for now. Leaving TROS as end point for now at least, they might try to find a new anchor in the past from which to move forward again and then jump into the post TROS time at one point. There are several ways they might do this. Legends had the past and future filled with many Jedi and Sith, whereas the movies had first the Sith and then the Jedi reduced to about two only at a time. The Saga is a focal point, a balance point. On both ends of it, is birth and rebirth a new cycle beginning, a new age, a turning of the wheel of Yin and Yang. So All came to an end in the PT and OT and got reborn with the ST. Visions already hinted at possible futures, even if some may also fit in the past. So from that perspective, with the Saga at the Core and anchor point, around it past and futures may evolve in paralell with Sith and Jedi back.

Star Wars going Cosmic like Marvel did?

Well, MCU cosmos is funny, colorful and not shy to use awkward and unusual ideas yet all somehow still rooted in real world esoterics and mythology. SW cosmic forces so far are mainly the Force itself and some Forceghosts with power greater than you could possibly imagine. Taika could well give SW some cosmic adventures that are psychedelic yet totally SW. SW had plenty before he can pull from, be it Mortis, Bendu and the WBW, the Force Priestesses, Tho Yors, Mirror Caves and Vision Caves, crying Mountains, rock people, talking Bunnies, etc. just to name a few. Sw had it all basically but well dosed and checked with other crucial elements to balance the weird with them.

If Mortis is not godly, and not the beginning of it all, could an alternate interpretation of it be the base for Taikas movie? What if Mortis is not as old as in Legends? What if the Force once ran free of focal points and temple monoliths? What if someone molded it into these midichlorian Leyline paths and constructed this Force network on purpose to be able to guide and control the Force, to bottle it up?
    Wouldn't a place called "of Death" aka Mortis sound rather more at home with Darksiders than a neutral balanced family? Or more aptly named Rebirth, Balance or something else entire as Death is not the end but a door to the next part of the cycle?
    What ancient Forceusers created it? And how were they defeated and someone else took their place trying to use it for good and balance instead of control and death? Until one day in TCW later Anakin did free Mortis of its curse by not continuing to take a throne and control it, but rather set the Force free again... both sides of it to balance itself out naturally out of someones control!

One might spin an interesting thrilling personal tale of a family and their peers with this befitting a movie or three set in the past, yet not the too distant one, maybe about 2000 years in the past at the outset of a massive Jedi-Sith war, eh? Regardless if Legends fans headcanon the story then much much earlier to fit into its Legends history, in canon it may work later.

Now Feige is another kind, and only because he hired the Eternals director does not mean we get Eternals SW style... one can dream though... but I think IF his and Taika's projects are connected by being both set in the past, we might see some links between them and yet explore different eras of the past. Taika's story might even feature Ach-to somehow, or Jedha or other ancient places like Tython. What if Taika opens the NSW and Feige closes them, with the future free to explore the millennium in between? From Darth Ruin to Darth Bane? Bonus points if they use Tar Viszla and the Darksaber in the Bane story.

That'd be the furthest back into the past LFL currently would be willing to go I think. If striking closer to home, they might pull a young Yoda movie as a Padawan or Knight showing Yoda's rise paralell to Baby Yoda Grogu hype in Mandoverse as Grogu grows Groot-style season by season. Maz Kanata's pirate days are also a possibility for the centuries in the past millennium. A Knight Yoda vs. Pirate Queen Maz movie woud certainly rock and they may try to outsmart each other as he tries to capture her... and she evades smug like Hondo in TCW, them ending as friends maybe. If set to the backdrop of Jedi moving against Mandalorians or other past conflicts remains to be seen.

If High Republic era is chosen though, and they get along with books and comics plans without altering them for once, we might not get adaptions of Drengir and Nihil but rather new original paralell stories to keep both mediums separate yet connected. Also depending what Acolyte does after the High Republic multimedia project, that so far is Sith free, any movie might touch upon Plagueis or Palpatines youth and rise. Acolyte may kinda build towards that too and be connected. I think Acolyte is about someone figuring the Sith out and ending up their apprentice. A maybe mystery puzzle solving show that, the deeper you go down the rabbit hole, the more you find out how the galaxy really works but corrupt yourself in the process story. Breaking Bad SW style, inspired by Dark Empire how Luke investigated Sith rumors and other likewise stories from various sources.

The latest pre-Prequel story I can imagine is another epic one fans wanted for ages: The enslavement of Shmi Skywalker and how she birthed Anakin. Many stories could be woven in, be it Palpatine, Talzin, others backstories, even if some never meet all entangled in each others plots and machinations.

Whatever it will be.. I am hyped!

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

I will be interesting to see if NuCanon follows Legends path from the 90's in that the two dominate threads of Storytelling are

Post Endor Material

And ANCIENT PAST stuff ala Tales of the Jedi at the time.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

So I have two theories of how Star Wars could handle the ANCIENT PAST idea or two ways they might go

Option 1
    Do the New Sith War story since it connects to what we've seen before in terms how did the Sith go from Big bad threat to Rule of Two Sith that we see in the Saga films and sorta have that connection tissue.

or

Option 2
    Do the KOTOR route and have it be SUPER disconnected from anything we've seen before giving them a lot of wiggle room to develop essentially their own sub franchise within Star Wars in order to just build out for years to come....If it's successful.

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Jid123Sheeve

Indeed.

So far the High Republic f.e. is rather disconnected from the near by PT aside some Jedi Council member cameos. Will more and more connecting tissue appear or will it stay its own playground era? Might only Acolyte start to be more direct a PT prequel?

As for the "ancient" past, if you look at most Disney created ancient past references so far, outside of referencing Legends past elements here and there, you see that Disney/LFL in new canon tend to favor two spots in the vast past. One being the Unknown Regions set very ancient past that seems to have happened before teh UR/known space split and the other being a more medieval feudal past setting that has similarities to the NSW era.

Legends already did egyptian, greek, roman times with their Old Sith Wars behemoth of a megaera. Canons Ach-To, Exegol and the like stem from much earlier, myths lost to time, burried by great floods and ice ages so to speak. Lets not forget human real world history and some esoteric influences are the roadmap for the GFFA literally for Lucas and his students. So with the NSW being the dark ages, middle ages, feudal and with Jedi Lords as well as Sith Knights, afterwards we see the Galactic Republic in a golden age despite some conflicts, a Renaissance and even some Barock influences maybe? As well as some Romanticism when ancient times are glorified and romanticised despite the madness and mayhem that they were actually? The High Republic could very well be such an era of expansion, delusions of grandeur and illusions of the previous romantic period being broken by new emerging problems.

While I hope Barock fashion and hairstyles stay out of SW mostly... (ok, the Tof may keep them!)... other eras aside antique and medieval times need expansion and that is going to happen.

What will be the GFFAs industrial revolution with status quo being updated with a lot of new technologies that change the entire galaxy? What galactic religion or Forcecult may inspire a societal change and hippie generation emerging angry with the old ways and bringing about slowly new ones?