main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC United States BBQ Education

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Jedi in the Pumas, Aug 3, 2023.

1. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    This thread’s only purpose is to discuss why North Carolina BBQ (sure, we can include South Carolina IF YOU WANT) is the superior bbq in the United States and to educate our international members on one of the many reasons why our public health is failing in the Red White and Blue.

First lesson: Your Standard Barbecue sandwich tray from Cook Out

[​IMG]

Yes, those are hush puppies and seasoned Cajun fries. You get two sides at cookout with your tray. It’s a small difference, but noticeable one because you can’t have cole slaw without hush puppies (I don’t make the rules, I just play the game).

The main attraction is the vinegar soaked and Carolina seasoned pulled pork meat on a bun with, and this is the key, COLESLAW as the condiment. Here you have a satisfying blend of spicy meets sweet, hot meets cold, and where the barbecue is horrible for your arteries, TECHNICALLY coleslaw is vegetables so it makes the sandwich a net neutral for health.

There are many kinds of bbq. This post only covers the most superior.

[​IMG]

Carolina BBQ can also be served SANS bun or bread, for those watching their carb intake. The key to eating Carolina BBQ without bread is to smother it in sauce. Barbecue sauce or honey mustard are classic favorites.

Thank you for your time. Also, Kansas City barbecue is a just like Carolina barbecue but worse in every way and weirdly wet, like all the time.

Ghost, Sarge, Dannik Jerriko and 2 others like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    "People may disagree on who has the best barbecue. Here, the brisket (particularly the burnt ends), pulled pork, and ribs are all of a quality that meet the high standards even of Kansas City natives. It’s the best barbecue in Kansas City, which makes it the best barbecue in the world.”

- Anthony Bourdain on Joe's KC BBQ (my fav in KC)

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So -- wild guess here -- the sauce is more important than the actual food , to Americans.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You show this food served on a tray - but we’re told Americans eat their food from buckets?

Explain.

Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Yes, but also Yes again.

For the cultured American, if something doesn’t taste good, add sauce.

The Big Macs you were talking about earlier are garbage EXCEPT the Mac Sauce. The Mac Sauce is what has kept the Big Mac a cultural icon since the time of George Washington and the ancient Egyptians.

Sarge likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed—but the right kind of Carolina barbecue is important. This is the only correct kind. (My husband disagrees, and this has been one of the funnier arguments in our marriage.)

Here is one good place to get it

Here is another place

And here is a place that I found in Charlotte

On the other hand, this place is super popular but I could not eat there more than once. Not my barbecue.

Not sure which part of the state you’re from @The Jedi in the Pumas — mountains, Piedmont or Coastal Plain changes things up.

DarthRelaxus and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Correct and I understand your confusion.

[​IMG]

You arrive at a typical southern American family cook out with a bucket that carries the seasonings and equipment for the barbecue. Once utilized, one can use that very same bucket to take leftover barbecue back to the other villagers and townsfolk.

Sarge and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think barbecue is a verb everywhere in the US outside the South?

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    @anakinfansince1983

Despite our differences, it seems we may have found common ground on Eastern NC barbecue. Smithfield’s and Parker’s are staples of my childhood until I moved to the Triad for college.

[​IMG]

How far east are you from?

Edit:

And that is why KC BBQ fails. You guys just throw everything in there. Brisket, ribs, pork, chicken… Where’s the years of technique refinement and most importantly of all… WHY IS IT ALL WET?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    My Colon hurts from just reading this thread. Thank God you guys have a fantastic healthcare system.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Depends greatly on the region and meat involved, actually; some BBQ pork ribs, for instance, can be eaten without sauce if the rub and smoking process is up to par, and brisket is often judged by the quality of the cooked meat first. Also, if you’re definition of BBQ includes more “grilling” fare, like bratwursts, than they often get judged more for the eat-and-toppings.

And even in regional flavors, some restaurants get judged on a scale of how dependent they are on sauce versus how good the meat is before the sauce is added. Legendary KC BBQ restaurant Arthur Bryant’s, for instance, is usually regarded as “making do” with sheer quantity of less extraordinary meat under award-winning and legendary sauce.

I used to work at Famous Dave’s, where (ostensibly) the menu was composed of different types of regional BBQ.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

No. Pumas is just misinformed. I always get my KC ribs dry. It's perfectly acceptable and normal to do so. Perfect ribs don't need sauce.

Neither do burnt ends, which are our years of technique specialty that no one else even does.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Burnt ends are amazing. We do have them in Oklahoma. And the meat is important. It's not just about the sauce. A good sauce can't save bad BBQ.

I still remember Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ in Hutchinson, KS, which I passed through about . . . Lord, about ten years ago now probably. I have never forgotten the hot links. They were the best I'd ever had at that time and none have yet surpassed them. I am not even a guy who typically loves hot links. But those were amazing.

solojones likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Off topic, but if you ever go through Hutch again be sure to go to the Cosmodrome air and space museum. It's got an unreal collection of both American and Soviet stuff. Including the Apollo 13 command capsule, which is a hell of a thing to see.

On topic, "grilled BBQ" isn't BBQ.

Sarge and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I did. Yeah, it's amazing. That's actually why I went. Such a cool museum.

Sarge and solojones like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep I made a trip there for a weekend just to see that museum. It was incredible.

Carolina BBQ sauce is delicious btw. We have it at several of our restaurants. But again, sauce is just a bonus for good BBQ meat.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Which has more of a rabid fanbase, BBQ or hot sauce?

19. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Has to be BBQ. The hottest Hot sauces are nice for declaring war on your intestines and I partake in this often.

But as you can see above… BBQ brings the people together and takes you on a time traveling trip to the past when times were simpler.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Wait, North Carolina is a real place?

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Alright, what’s the best side dishes for BBQ? Cheesy Tater Casserole? Bacon-wrapped, Stuffed Jalapeños? Cornbread?

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Any food can do this. Stop plagiarising Ratatouille

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Beans with brisket drippings.

24. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    [​IMG]

Elaborate on these…. Brisket drippings.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So at Jack Stack here in KC, which generally is acknowledged as having the best sides, they cook the beans low and slow too, under the brisket. So the brisket juices drip down into the beans.mmm best beans.