main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate United States of America - will there be more states?

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Apr 14, 2019.

1. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So caught this article today of some lawmakers wanting Chicago to be it's own State

Ok. Interesting, but I don't think making a city into a literal city-state is a good idea. Like making Washington DC it's own state.

But as far as more? I'm not against it. And I do think there could be more in the future. Question is how.

Some in Puerto Rico continue to try to get that 51st star. But the massive debt they're in has an issue, whereas many want independence. So it's a mixed bag with it and I'm unsure which with it honestly.

Then there's the movement in California...or several movements I guess. You have the "Jefferson State" idea in the north part. And then you have splitting it into 3 parts from the original 6 plan.

Then the city of Austin has threatened to seceded from Texas to be own...

The most probable option I'd guess would be splitting California into 2. Doing so could add PR into the mix. Or another territory we have.

But how far out till this happens? Honestly I think within 20 years we could see a new state, as strange as that would be. It just seems we're kinda priming for it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Sure, why not.

3. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Well the honest question would be --- Why?

Why would we want to? What would be the benefit of it?

4. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So people in Puerto Rico will have the same representation as the rest of us. So we don't have this situation where a Kansan has 50 times the representation of a Californian in the Senate.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If the Democrats stick to their guns, D.C. could easily become a state next time they win Congress and the Presidency. If.

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd like for D.C. to become a state. Or, at least be allowed to hold the same powers as one.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh, damn, I forgot to mention how Arlol supports the racist and misogynistic hate group known as the Proud Boys. I'll really need to remember to work that in somewhere next time he starts a thread.

vin and Chewgumma like this.
  8. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    @Alpha-Red I think you have that backwards...California has more than Kansas

But D.C as a state? I don't see why it should.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

3sm1r and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Each vote in Kansas is worth significantly more than each vote in California is, meaning that people there have proportionally 3x the influence per vote when compared to someone from California.

It has a fairly large population and is in a government grey area where they have very little actual agency over their own city.

11. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018

1. If that's the case why does everyone ignore the middle states? They always get made fun of but everyone flocks to CA to get votes

2. But like Chicago, I'm against a city being it's own entity when they already have enough power over things as it is. The Fed Gov located there I think could bolster it into some huge fed superstate.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You think-- you think people move to California to "get votes"?

Rylo Ken and 3sm1r like this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    There's 3 million people in Kansas, and 40 million in California. Every state has two Senators regardless of population. So that means each person in Kansas gets more representation in the Senate.

Well, they're Americans aren't they? Shouldn't they get representation?

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Puerto Rico should become a state.

DC should just become part of Maryland or Virginia.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No idea. I've never run a political campaign. But this isn't a point you can argue. It's simple math. Take Wyoming for example. They have 3 votes in the Electoral college, which works out to 1 vote per 135k voters. Compare that to California's 55 votes, which breaks down to 1 vote per 411k voters.

But D.C. isn't in a state as it is. So where does that leave it? A large population that's completely unable to govern itself because it's tied so closely to the federal government even if it works against the interests of its people?

16. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Politicians? The middle area is called flyover country for a reason. Though in Kansas their representatives hold an edge for people per capita, the numerous ones from California hold more electoral votes which is what they care about.

D.C already gets electoral votes. So in a way they already get it. But like Ghost posted maybe it should be rather incorporated into another state with its votes adding to it.

17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    The Electoral College is a separate issue...but those votes are apportioned by population. So if D.C. or Puerto Rico became states, they would have electoral votes proportional to how many people they have. If California were split in two, the two halves together would have the same number of electoral votes as before.

18. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    yes, there will be a state of shock, and only two people will live there: mick jagger and michael jackson.

okay so michael will not live there - he'll be dead there.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There should be less states.

Every state with less population than Puerto Rico should revert to being a territory. Just like Puerto Rico.

Edit: Considering that Arlol's "source" is Fox News, I decided to do some digging to the actual story. Here's the full text of the bill in Illinois. The sponsors are all Republicans. Essentially, they are whiners that don't like that the state election for governor relies on "popular vote", and they support various state separatist movements... which no doubt have no ties whatsoever to white nationalists. At all. :rolleyes:
    So, as far as the instigating news story about this, **** that noise. But even Fox News had to admit that the attempt was going to be even more of a failure this time than when they attempted this last year. It's just a ******** attention-seeking DOA bill from conservatives.

20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    To be blunt, a territory where there are no people who were born after it became a territory should be a state.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    My kind of State, Chicago is

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wut. There was exactly ONE Presidential campaign stop in California in 2016. Meanwhile in the midwest, Iowa got 21 visits. Iowa. A state with three million people. California has over 10 times that many people and gets no attention. What are you on about.

[​IMG]

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There should be 49 states. Combine the Dakotas, give Rhode Island to Connecticut (sorry @Ghost ) and add Puerto Rico. I'm sure there's a way to combine some combination of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming but it wouldn't look aesthetically pleasing.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know about combining any states or breaking up current states. I do understand the logic behind it in terms of giving more fair representation in the Senate (for instance, NorCal is very different from central California in its concerns. Silicon Valley vs. farm lands). I get the idea... not sure it's realistic that it will happen, though.

But I definitely think DC should be a state. And if the people of Puerto Rico want it, that should definitely be a state as well. And hey, since I've been to both of those places, it doesn't mess up my quest to get to every state :p

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    MontanWyHo