main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    At this point, it almost goes without saying, doesn't it? ;)

But yes, I definitely did. Assuming they make it past approvals, references to Marvel, Star Wars Galaxy Magazine, and some WEG stuff are among the old school sources.

2. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Unfortunately, that would be giving away too much.

Take care,
    Abel

3. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I always imagined the Huks as being like Uruk-hai, despite them being described as insectile.

4. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Again, only vaguely. I was so busy trying to iron out the conflicts between Labyrinth of Evil and Visionaries, that I only had time to set up basic timeframes.

That's okay with me!!! Great!!

(I will keep my eyes out on eBay to acquire this issue ASAP once it comes out!!!)

5. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Instead of purchasing the issue from the counter so you can pay Abel's salary for this great work? He deserves better. ;)

6. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    Well, I would love too, but we in the Netherlands are not in the opportunity to buy it off the shelves!!! According to licensee-holders, we in the Netherlands are 'blessed' with the UK's Star Wars Magazine (which I also happen to collect and I am sure is to reprint the article). I hope TFAW will carry the issue, but since they did not carry # 83, my hopes are low for that...

Being a non-USian books/magazine collector is not always fun (I payed $ 67 for the Paizo-IDG transition issue of Insider...)

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Great news Abel! What about the Grievous-a-like in Galaxies, any word on that?

>>"I go on vacation and look what I miss!"<<

Tell me about it! :p

8. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Ouch..

Tam: The lookalike might be explained as yet another clone. Those seem to be the main way to blast out of a corner in this universe. Or, and more likely, it could be downplayed as non-canon because it was only for the gameplay anyway, and not considered to be followed.

9. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Tam: The lookalike might be explained as yet another clone. Those seem to be the main way to blast out of a corner in this universe. Or, and more likely, it could be downplayed as non-canon because it was only for the gameplay anyway, and not considered to be followed."<<

Hmm, perhaps, but I beleive they've got a backstory for it and everything. Apparantly it's just a copy of Grievous' robot frame, wired up to a droid or something. Wondering if we'll ever see something more concrete on the matter.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if Necrosis (I believe that is the cyborg's name) is somehow tied to the GG comic storyline and is "padawan frames".

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Kudzu wrote:
    ?I always imagined the Huks as being like Uruk-hai, despite them being described as insectile.?

Insect was the last thing I had in mind too when I first read that name, but insectile they are. The Story of Greivous will go into a bit more background on the Huk and Kaleesh cultures.

eddie1969 wrote:
    ?Being a non-USian books/magazine collector is not always fun (I payed $ 67 for the Paizo-IDG transition issue of Insider...)?

Zounds! I have an extra issue Insider #82, if that helps any.

Tam_Elgrin wrote:
    ?Great news Abel! What about the Grievous-a-like in Galaxies, any word on that??

It?s addressed. ;)

wookieepedian1 wrote:
    ?Tam: The lookalike might be explained as yet another clone. Those seem to be the main way to blast out of a corner in this universe.?

I?ve used the clone fix twice ::shudder:: for two of the ugliest continuity errors ever seen, one using Spaarti cylinders and the other Kaminoan technology: the death of Sate Pestage in the X-Wing comics and Boba Fett?s involvement in the Clone Wars as a Mandalorian Supercommando. Even though I think these were done in reasonably good taste, at this point I?ll go to almost any length to avoid resorting to cloneage in order to address a booboo.

Take care,
    Abel

12. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    Zounds! I have an extra issue Insider #82, if that helps any.

:) Thanks, but I am already up to # 83... (Although it is sometimes with great difficulty, I always try to acquire the new Insider within a couple of weeks after the US release-date: and with such a great article ánd the return of HoloNet News, # 84 is one of the best to come out since they first introduced original fiction into the magazine).

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>At this point, it almost goes without saying, doesn't it? ;)

But yes, I definitely did. Assuming they make it past approvals, references to Marvel, Star Wars Galaxy Magazine, and some WEG stuff are among the old school sources.<<<

But of course. Anything drastic, or just a few nods here and there?

>>>It's addressed. ;) <<<

:D

Just a question here Abel, but do you collect TPBs or individual comic issues or both? (I'm asking since you must have included some info on the GG comic, which isn't out in TPB format yet. That would pose a problem to a writer who only buys TPBs.)

14. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I have to agree with ya, eddie. Along with the Grand Army Guide and the return of HoloNet News, this looks like it's going to be one of the strongest issues to date for IDG as far as EU fans are concerned.

Take care,
    Abel

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Assuming it's approved, there's one old school ref that might might be considered a major retcon as far as its potential ramifications. The rest are small nods.

I used to collect both. Nowadays, I wait for the tpb. However, when I get an assignment that requires me to have the most up to date sources, that rule goes out the Windu. (I'm here all night folks. [face_beatup])

Seriously, with the Story of Grievous, I immediately called up all my local comic shops (which aren't so local ever since the two nearest me went out of business this year) and tracked down copies of Greivous #1-3, the only ones that were out during the time I was alloted to write the piece. For details on #4, which I needed, I contacted Holocron Keeper Leland Chee who looked over the Dark Horse outline for #4, and answered my questions. #4, of course, has since come out, and I'll probably just go ahead and buy it this week, in case my editor asks me to make the edits Lucasfilm has requested to the piece, which he usually does.

Take care,
    Abel

16. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    This keeps getting better and better! I forgot that the Grand Army-article will also be included in Insider # 84!!! (Read about this at Karen Traviss's blog). I hope that this means that in the coming pre-tv-years we get a lot of more of these issues!!!!

Have I told you that I love you guys (and gals?)

17. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Are there a lot of references to the GG comic series? Will we finally find out the names of some of the Jedi in there. Given that I'm compiling a list of Jedi, it kinda cheesed me off not ever being given half the names.

18. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    We love you too Eddie! :)

19. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    And I would have loved to have come up with some new artwork for your Grievous article too :( He's one of my favorite characters. But I couldn't just let this issue of Insider go by without some sort of Pena/Corroney collaboration. So look for Abel *in* HoloNet News :)

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Abel... or Halagad? [face_batting]

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    :cool: Really, is there a difference? ;)

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Ask and ye shall receive, eddie! Let the folks at Insider know your feelings by email and they should continue to hire us trying their hardest to cram those intervening years with EU goodness.

Not lately, no.

Take care,
    Abel

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Yup! Some of the nameless Jedi in GG get named. (Muahahahaha!)

24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Finally GG will get some of his due! Will certainly be stalking the newstands in the coming weeks. =D=

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    When does the newstand edition come out? My subscription disappeared after AOTC came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.