main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
  2. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    ...Wow. That's BIG. (why yes, I'm MACHUUR)
    Although I imagined them with tentacles.
    I quite liked the Twi'Lek character here though. Quite a personality.
    http://www.joecorroney.com/cgi-local/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Star_Wars/Star_Wars_Insider_Art&image=72CountDookuShaalaFinal.jpg&img=&tt=img

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know what's worse; that someone felt compelled to take that picture, or that Rogue's been keeping it on retainer.

Like you said; I'm enjoying my power while it lasts.

He named himself Grievous!

Oops, there goes another one...

4. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I hope we get a Qymaen jai Sheelal and a Ronderu lij Kummar action figure. :D

5. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
  6. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I'm still hoping someday for a Jedi-two pack of Kai Justiss and Ur-Sema Du.

7. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    ...don't give me ideas. "Ronda"....sicko bait much? Although I get the feeling she's taller than Qymaen.

8. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    And they say size doesn't matter.

That would be interesting on all kinds of different levels...

Thanks :) That Twi'lek was actually created by my friend Bryan as his player character for the SW RPG. I based her final look off of some other sketches he provided for me and I worked her into my art for HoloNet News in Insider.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    It's breaks my heart to hear a man give up on his dream.

Thanks! Now if we could just get Del Rey or Darkhorse to team us up. :)

Oh, there's plenty more. I'm waiting for someone to drop the big question... or answer.

Nope. Necrosis was hard to do, but a lot of fun. Quite a few continuity nuggets in that one.

I got in touch with the LucasArts guys for this one in order to incorporate as much of Necrosis' intended background as meshed with continuity.

Joe's taught me how to look at my work with something akin to an artist's eye. We've come a long way since the Emperor's Pawns. :)

I don't know about these guys... they're pretty good.

Actually, I can think of one I'd be surprised to see you guys get....

Take care,
    Abel

10. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Wow, a Pena/Corroney comic... Now that would be just excellent! =P~ What era would be your preference?

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Joe and I have been talking about our desire to do a Lumiya/Mara Jade comic since as far back as our first collaboration on the Emperor's Pawns, where we set the story up.

Other than that, I'd like to do Mandalorians in the Clone Wars, hands down.

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    :eek:

I do declare, I think I have the vapors...

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I don't know what's worse; that someone felt compelled to take that picture, or that Rogue's been keeping it on retainer. <<<

Not retainer, per say. But I did know where to look... ;)

>>>Joe and I have been talking about our desire to do a Lumiya/Mara Jade comic since as far back as our first collaboration on the Emperor's Pawns, where we set the story up.

Other than that, I'd like to do Mandalorians in the Clone Wars, hands down.<<<

Too bad Tales is gone, cause that would have been the perfect format (especially if it were a multi-parter, like Nomad.) Of course, there are still other opportunities... :)

14. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Sounds like a challenge to me! :)

(Pardon my lurking.)

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Color me clueless, but what's Lord of War?

"Joe and I have been talking about our desire to do a Lumiya/Mara Jade comic since as far back as our first collaboration on the Emperor's Pawns, where we set the story up."

:eek: *explodes* =P~

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Its the online Hyperspace Insider supplement. Supposedly, it will contain much of the stuff that Abel was forced to cut out of the magazine article. (They should do that more often... [face_batting] )

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    :)

18. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Ah childhood... remember when dad used to take us out hunting Huk?

As Yodas-evil-twin said, Grievous' early kills were via sniping, which is arguably less visceral than killing dozens at point-blank. Of course, doesn't change the fact that he's still a little pre-adolescent murderer.

Yup!

Happens to the best of us.

Joe should be putting it up on his website any day now.

I seem to remember someone saying that Padme action figure had a garter belt on under her dress.

Any day may be your last, fiend!

And while we're dreaming, I'd like to see a Halagad fig.

I think you misspelled that last word.

Does not compute...

Take care,
    Abel

19. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I think you misspelled that last word. <<<

You know, I find your sense of humor very familiar...

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Abel appears to have named all of the annoyingly anonymous Jedi Grievous killed during Labyrinth of Evil's Coruscant scenes. Well done!

The article seems to imply that Grievous was not given Sifo-Dyas's lightsaber until after the Battle of Geonosis, but the Visionaries comic shows that Dooku gave him the lightsaber in a cruiser orbiting around Geonosis... Hmm. It also confirms that Grievous was not given the title of Supreme Commander until after the incident at Trenchant... This could mean that Tann held that title in the interim, but it's not stated.

The reconciliation of Visionaries and Labyrinth of Evil was handled very well. I thought specifying Phlut Design Systems as a Grievous acquisition pre-transformation was an inspired bit of continuity, considering that we already knew it was seized by the IBC, that Grievous was working for them as a collections agent, and that his elite were all IG series droids. The new information about Flint's father makes the seemingly random use of Belderone in Labyrinth make sense.

The article also makes strides towards explaining why Grievous is both a killing machine, and a fleeing coward, linking it to Mace's chest-crushing in the Battle of Coruscant. It does not specify that incident as the reason for his cough, avoiding but not explaining the existing contradictions involving his affliction. Mace's comment about Grievous fleeing "as he always does" still doesn't make a lot of sense, though, and Grievous's motivations for cyborging Quarmall's padawans are also unexplained. Perhaps Lord of War will go into this...

TC

21. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I thought specifying Phlut Design Systems as a Grievous acquisition pre-transformation was an inspired bit of continuity, considering that we already knew it was seized by the IBC, that Grievous was working for them as a collections agent, and that his elite were all IG series droids.<<<

Now, if only somebody could write an IG-series article, so that we can finally get the history of those darn droids (and a retcon of DeathStar-88...)

We've got a bunch of random IG-unit sightings that need explaining: the one mentioned on the KotOR II site, the one in Republic: Rite of Passage, the one in Young Boba Fett, the one in Galactic Battlegrounds, the one in Bounty Hunters: Kenix Kil, the parts in DroidWorks (made by Incom...), several sightings in RPG art, etc. Throw in some good continuity, a whole lot of obscure references, and a pinch of retcon, and viola! a great article. [face_batting] [face_praying]

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to mention IG-88 on Ithor, as well as his apparent destruction there, in the Star Wars Missions books, which could be tied into Galaxy Guide 3's original explanation for the IG in Cloud City... :p But let's stick to Grievous here...

TC

23. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Let us also not forget the timeline discrepancy between the January '05 article on 'Iggy' (he was activated a decade after the end of the Clone Wars) and the placement of the Droids cartoon (4 years after the end of the Clone Wars).

24. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yep. :)

Propaganda, perhaps? Or maybe a reference to other IG droids... [face_thinking]

(A pic in the WEG Fantastic Technology: Droids shows a number of IG-units escaping a lab, but it can't be the same as the one in the TBH story, since one of the droids is getting shot, along with some other minor differences.)

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Oh, I forgot ::pulls out a Sith glove::

*sWACk*

I challenge thee!

You'll probably get your wish.

Humor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.