main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Me too!

Rumor is she had a hot date.

...with an Ewok. ;)

I'll just insert this face here instead of whatever else I was going to write lest Bonnie kills me: [face_beatup]

Thanks. Seemed appropriate.

Heh heh heh...

This name has quite a story behind it, but yeah, it is General Bridger from the New Essential Chronology.

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Rumor is she had a hot date.

...with an Ewok. ;) <<<

Man, McEwok sure gets around... :p

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/ewok.jpg]

3. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I didn't know Chiss could interbreed with Ewoks...

4. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Have you read Unknown Soldier, Charlemagne? Your choice of wording and examples are uncanny in hitting some of the undertones of the piece.

I would probably agree.

True. But I think there was a greater audience for the Mandos than the IGs. Of course, you never know.

Good point. So, yeah, you never know. ;)

THE HISTORY OF THE MOUSE DROID! But it doesn't quite have that commercial ring to it...

Creatively.

The idea that Yam'rii were technologically savvy despite their honkin digitless arms was first suggested by Kitik Keed'kak Decipher card. I know there's a practical aspect to consider when taking into account alien physiology, but I think it's pretty cool when we have to use our imaginations to figure out just how such a thing might be possible. That elasticity of imagination is to me one of the greatest values of science fiction.

Take care,
    Abel

5. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    You said it, not me. :p

Why hasn't McEwok made that his avatar yet?

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Wookieepedia to the rescue!

I look forward to reading this, although since my subscription ran out and was later renewed right around the ship date, who knows if I'll get sent this one. Well, I'll be able to read Lord of War at least.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Thrawn: I thought I could combine my tactical genius with an Ewok's savgery but what I got was a tactically brilliant Ewok....

*Lieutenant McEwok bites Pellaeon's leg*

8. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>True. But I think there was a greater audience for the Mandos than the IGs. Of course, you never know. <<<

Someday... someday... :)

>>>THE HISTORY OF THE MOUSE DROID! But it doesn't quite have that commercial ring to it...<<<

Building a Better Mouse Droid?

Of MSE and Men?

:p

A MSE article will probably never happen... but that doesn't stop me from doing research one. [face_peace]

>>>Why hasn't McEwok made that his avatar yet?<<<

Don't know. I think he prefers to be avatar-less for the time being.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh really?

I'm sadly not an Insider susbcriber.

I definitely want to get that issue though and I'm quite sad I have to wait.

;-)

Apparently we have similiar views of Grevious.

10. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    ...I would really appreciate it if Ronderu was....older
    *whistles*

11. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    General Sev'Rance Tann was Supreme Commander for a month after the Battle of Geonosis (The New Essential Chronology, page 55), and Echuu Shen-Jon was a former Padawan of second-highest Jedi in the Order Mace Windu, likely making him a very prominent Jedi Master. After the Battle of Krant, Grievous quietly took Tann's position.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Just because its true doesn't mean I have to like it.

I like Tann but if she tries to steal Grevious' thunder, she'll find she's nothing in comparison.

13. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I think Tann was dead before she entertained any notion of "stealing Grievous's thunder", namely because Grievous didn't actually have that much thunder at that time. He killed a few Jedi and helped off a handful of clone commando squads on Geonosis, but there were no Republic witnesses to spread the news of the new cyborg terror. For an individual that arrogant and vain, not being widely recognized as the new ultimate menace to the Jedi and the Grand Army of the Republic must have been nearly torturous.

14. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Oh, Ronderu's about to get a whole lot more interesting in a couple hours. :D

Did I forget to mention she's in Lord of War too?

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >General Sev'Rance Tann was Supreme Commander for a month after the Battle of Geonosis (The New Essential Chronology, page 55), <

The book says nothing about her being Supreme Commander, just that she held more sway than Grievous during the war's first month.

TC

16. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    And Grievous has been confirmed to be the Supreme Commander of the Separatist Droid Army thereafter. That's the highest position available. There's no other position that Sev'Rance Tann could have filled. Grievous was her successor and took her position upon her death.

17. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    That's the way I see it.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    One thought I had was maybe Tann was their "all there" choice for General in the event that the Grievous experiment didn't pan out the way they hoped it would. Be kinda sucky for them to put all their plans behind a great General capable of leading the droid army brilliantly, only to not have it work out and leave you without one.

19. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Huzzah!!!

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/insideronline/86/indexp2.html

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/yoda.jpg]

[blockquote]Even the droid's armorplast mask was stripped from its skull and sold on the Invisible Market, supposedly purchased by a high-ranking Imperial admiral as a Kaleesh work of art.[/blockquote]

I kriffing LOVE YOU! [face_applause] [face_grin]

You didn't just reference Old Wounds! Wait, yes you did! [face_shock] [face_grin]

Early notes:

-Excellent, new IG material. Including a certain Moff... ;)

-The promised manga reference is in. :)

-Plenty of references to Abel's previous works, including Zannah and the Iron Knights

-A name for the wheelbike in Droids, the 48 Roller. (Now that I think about them, I seem to remember some other wheelbike references in the SW Encyclopedia... [face_thinking] )

-Nice N-K retcons... :)

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
  22. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Abel this is for you.
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

I loved that Grevious article, all the great recons and references. Now if my insider could just come, so I could see the main article. Keep up the good work.

23. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Very nice article. The Zannah and Bane reference was great, and the Thrawn one was really cool. I really liked all the info on Kaleesh culture and society; I hope there's more of that in Unknown Soldier, and I'm looking forward to more details on the Huk War. Ronderu certainly sounds like an interesting character as well. Is the bit about how Obi-Wan made his way to Tatooine entirely new? If so, that's a very neat bit.

One small error I noticed: in the section on N-K Necrosis, it mentions Grievous' body and starfighter being kept in a storehouse on Utapau, but at the end it says the storehouse is on Geonosis.

24. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    That online supplement was amazing!! So much great info about weapons and vehicles.

Is that a reference to Old Wounds, the Visionaries story? If so, its inclusion is certainly a bold move.

Also, who is Zakrinand Minus? I know it's a reference to some obscure source, but zero google hits is pretty mind-boggling obscure.

25. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Well, I would imagine that Thrawn would spin it that way...[face_devil]

Details please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.