main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Time is largely very forgiving of the darker aspects of individuals. Julius Caesar, Napoleon, hell even Captain Morgan.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Having booze named after you helps.

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Also in Kyp's case, people were probably dancing in the streets at the destruction of the Caridans.

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Not much to explain, actually. With my short deadline, there wasn't much time to think about a species I wasn't going to get to cover in detail. I wasn't planning for Grievous' Yam'rii adversary to be a hermaphrodite, though.

Happy to please.

One good Jedi-killing, lightsaber-collecting cliche deserves another.

I'm talking about Durge, of course.

One of my favorite stories.

I don't think I ever saw that one. I definitely recommend Gilgamesh, though.

Right. Gotta stay true to the source material, after all.

Don't know what I'd do without you, King Carlos. ;)

You're right.

Okay; that was sort of funny.

Take care,
    Abel

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The Unofficial Encyclopedia says the Kashyyyk year is 381 days of ~26 standard hours... apparently citing HttESB; the amalgamated TTSB, p. 122 certainly repeats these figures...

:eek: *falls over* [face_blush]

I think that's the first time anyone associated with LFL has said that to me... [face_laugh]

It's a Barabel joke?

o_O

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it'd be really funny if we happened to meet one of General Grevious' sons or daughter and they became members of the Rebellion. The Huk are pretty much devastated by Grevious' actions so the Kahleesh have a chance to join the Galactic Community during this time.

They also have no reason to love the Empire too.

7. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    oh no...you've got it all wrong. Mrs. Snoggleton is the hermaphrodite. And possibly the equivalent to Grievous' underappreciated brother who was also an advisor XD
    ...who reforms the censorship ninjas into the galaxy's biggest hippy convention.
    And finds their long lost half-cucumber daughter on planet Udinika(named after the almighty Fishbus Udding, creator of Narkway).
    Tragedienne was more or less female.
    Okay I've said too much. I actually have drawn the mentioned species and posted them at my gallery, but that's too much shameless plugging.

8. TheEmpireStrikes

TheEmpireStrikes Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2004
    What with the new Rebellion comic, we do have the chance for it to happen!

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    And a lot of ex-confeds danced at the death of many worlds Grevious destroyed.

Hmm...now I want to see an X-Wing with the CIS symbol and color scheme. Maybe with a Geonosian pilot even.

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999

Actually, I'm pretty sure The Kashyyyk Depths (and Constacia Affair) can be fit right before the Holiday Special...remember, we never actually see the celebration in TKD.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The thing is:

"Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Han and Chewie attempted to return to Kashyyyk for Life Day, an important Wookiee celebration that occured every three years..."

And later:

"Shortly before the Battle of Hoth, C-3PO and R2-D2 once again accompanied Han and Chewie back to Kashyyyk, where they discovered the tribal Elder had canceled the Life Day celebration..."

TEGTC, page 32.

TC

12. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Hmmmmmm...well, I'd have no problem with their being two Life Days during the Post-ANH period, but it does conflict with what Rebel Dawn says (that the last Life Day, near the beginning of the book, was 3.5 years BBY).

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Considering the source materials, I'd say only being off by half a year is quite impressive.

14. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Especially when you consider that a Kashyyyk year is somewhere between around 412.75 days long (give or take about eight days)... so three Kashyyyk years are actually nearly 3.4 standard years...

Ergo ~3.5 before Yavin works fine, as a ballpark figure - some time at the end of 3 BBY, probably... with the SWHS taking place within a month or two after the Battle of Yavin...

The only problem, of course, is that, as TC said, the time between Yavin and Hoth is almost certainly too short to fit in two Life Days, as the EGtC claims...

However - there is some wiggle room here, as the oft-cited date of :3.5 for the Battle of Yavin is clearly meant to be the 3rd of Fifth Month, but it's normally read as the 5th of Third... so accordingly, we could read the :6.9 for Hoth as either the 6th of Ninth or the 9th of Sixth Month...

With a *really* awkward kludge, you can skew it to put Yavin in Third, but Hoth in Ninth, leaving 3.6 standard years betwen them...

Of course, it might be simpler to say that when Han and Chewie got to Yavin before ESB, they discovered that an upcoming Life Day (due to occur a few months later) had been cancelled...

- The Imperial Ewok

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was just gonna say that. Maybe it's like their Christmas, and they spend half the year getting ready for it.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That seems reasonable...

TC

17. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought there was that loop whole, though it sounds like NEGC threw a monkey wrench into the mix.

The Han Solo Trilogy was a trailblazer in terms of continuity awareness among Star Wars novelists. A.C. Crispin used continuity subtly to tell one of my favorite stories. But every now and then, there was a misfire. The appearance of the dead Bidlo Kwerve at the end of Rebel Dawn was one, and the Life Day placement was arguably another.

True.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    QFT.

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    QFT.

>>>The appearance of the dead Bidlo Kwerve at the end of Rebel Dawn was one, and the Life Day placement was arguably another. <<<

Has it ever been pinned down when Jabba was given the rancor, other than sometime before ANH? [face_thinking]

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I pretty much gave up on making sense of Jabba's Palace continuity after Bib Fortuna showed up in TPM. :p

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Quitter. :p

It works, but its... messy. (Kinda like Jabba himself.)

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Was the vignette in question even written from an in-univers POV? I don't think it was.

But it did seem a little weak to live up to being Thrawn's big failure.

Lobot did go a little bonkers for one storyline in the Marvel comics.

"That's your uncle talking."

... or the LFL implant. :)

I was actually quite happy that StarWars.com published some samples of Joe's art from the Insider article to accompany Lord of War. Droids and the Force does look a bit naked without any accompanying images. Seems like the Insider online supplements are finally coming into their own.

You're in the U.S., right? Shouldn't be more than a couple days now.

I remember that. Then again, who knows. If movies are still around in a hundred years, folks watching films from the 70s to the 00s might not even be able to tell the difference... it'll all look fake to them. :)

I thought I'd read this story, but when I checked my copy it said "Hand."

Take care,
    Abel

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, I sadly don't get hyperspace because of all the problems of web content versus purchasing power. A lot of Hyperspace is simply stuff I have no interest in reading about (and I can't figure out how to get the supposedly free subscription to it that I'm supposed to get with my Revenge of the Sith DVDs). However, I did purchase Star Wars Insider and enjoyed it very much.

The story of General Grevious is basically a tragic one honestly. General Grevious is one of the characters who honestly is a product of the EU more than a product of George Lucas. Like Quinlan Vos really. The character in the movies is flat and uninteresting; basically Snidely Whiplash mixed with a lot of Darth Vader watered down. Some of his appearences further are debatable with the Clone Wars having him as an unstoppable Jedi killer while the General Grevious comics make him a mindless psychotic.

The history in Insider and the story started by Stover has changed my opinion of the character a great deal though. Instead of being a villain, General Grevious is actually just a character that was horribly, horribly, horribly wronged before he let his need for revenge consume him. Even when he does, his fall is not entirely his fault either because it was always tinged with a desire to help others.

His homeplanet was enslaved and he lost his best friend along with love to drive them off and when he pursued the enemy back to their homeworld, the Republic came in and then stripped his victory from him before forcing unbearable conditions on his planet. He tried to return to civilian life but his family was then murdered while thousands of people starved. So he makes a pact with the Devil (San Hill under Darth Sidious) to serve them so his people won't suffer anymore.

Then Sidious and his minions destroy his body and tamper with his brain to release all the seething outrage he kept supressed. He expresses that hatred on the Jedi who serve the Republic and the Republic itself.

While you can't say he was a hero, I think its wrong to say he's a villain.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ooh, I'm telling Zahn!

Compared to that, Black Fleet Crisis? o_O

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    He owes me one. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.