main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    AH-HA! [face_mischief]

I found the real reason the article was pushed back! Abel needed some GG info from a new source: Star Wars Transformers. Yes, you read that right.

[image=http://www.52toys.com/misc/swtf_1.jpg]

[image=http://www.52toys.com/misc/swtf_2.jpg]

:-B :p

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Wow, does he turn *into* his wheel machine?

I won't be handling that retcon. 8-}

Take care,
    Abel

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The wheel bike was actually a disguised backup droid body for Grievous in case the first one failed, thus requiring Grievous to keep it close at hand, just in case. :)

4. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    So, he was riding himself?

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    An appropriate analogy would be Lobot riding a big-ass version of his headband thingy. Or perhaps numerous regular-sized duplicates that had been assembled, Lego-like, into a vehicle.

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I always did think, ever since seeing Episode I, that Lobot's headband implant thing was shaped an awful lot like Darth Maul's speederbike. [face_thinking]

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Actually, wouldn't a more appropriate transformer comparison be to say that Lobot was his headband thingy?

So Darth Maul was riding Lobot's thingy?

This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them!

Incidentally, has anyone kept up a subscription to Lego Magazine? I had one a few years ago that I let expire, but they frequently had little apocryphal Star Wars comics using actually Lego figures. Wondering if they're still doing that.

Take care,
    Abel

8. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    My little brother still gets them. I sometimes get to read them before they turn into thousands of little shreds of paper strewn about his bedroom. Yes, they do still occasionally run little Star Wars Lego comics, there was even the Revenge of the Brick Star Wars LEGO short movie. Obviously, none of them could ever count as more than Infinities, but they are somewhat entertaining. I love how they had Anakin and Obi-Wan leave the Battle of Coruscant to defend Kashyyyk.

9. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, I used to get those. I probably threw most of them out.

Which is a shame, because I remember that one issue had an AT-PT variant in it. Probably not canon, but it is official and it would be a good obscure reference.

[face_thinking]

Don't like the Grievy Transformer? Then how about his awesome hover board, with disk firing action!

[image=http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars//85857.jpg]

:p

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    It looks like the things the centurions in the He-Man movie flew around on.

11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Maybe.

Its not nearly as awesome as Yoda's Senate Attack Pod, though. 8-}

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS/sw05fbyodaloose-m.jpg]

Custom built for the Hiromi delegation, perhaps. ;) However, nothing can explain why an Old Republic anything has the Rebel symbol on it... [face_thinking]

And you caught me before I could edit in a reference to the drumdroid over at TOS. [face_whistling]

12. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    You've forgotten your history, young padawan. IIRC, the symbol of the Alliance to Restore the Republic is based on an Old Republic symbol.

Take care,
    Abel

13. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Not forgetting that, but I didn' think it was identical.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS/sw05fbyodapodtp.jpg]

This reminds me of something... Did you know that Rules of Engagement makes a retcon for the Dark Forces extra lives? It mentions that "Redbirds" (Rebel symbols) are given for injuries in the line of duty (akin to Purple Hearts.) [face_mischief]

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The droid body isn't Grievous itself, it's just what's holding onto his squishy little alien parts.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not to butt in on this exceedinly intriguing Lobot conversation (I understand Lobot's just one of those endlessly fascinating chaps....), but I have a question concerning this Greievous bio...

Is there any chance that fans might -- just might -- be given a clear view of the Good General's face, in a picture accompanying this story? Perhaps one before he donned The Mask and not purposefully blurry? I mean, Grievous is everywhere today... as a toy, a transformer, on posters, on my potato chip bag... but his actual FACE is a mystery! Will we ever see the Kaleesh behind the mask???

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Will we ever see the Kaleesh behind the mask??? <<<

Its not official, but there's a creature in Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley that looks a lot like a Kaleesh, bone mask and all. He might not be, but the similarities are striking. You can see about half of his face, including some funky teeth.

Also in GG7 is a prisoner restraint droid of an unknown type that has a faceplate that looks a lot like the good General's...

[face_thinking]

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Supposedly GG's mask is based off that of a Krath war droid's. The Krath were a cult started by Aleema Keto and were seen in the old "Tales of the Jedi" comics. I can't really see much of a resemblence between them and GG's mask, though... I think Darth Nihilus of KOTORII had the Krath thing going there, but I'm not sure that was intentional.

18. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002

Rogue_Follower Any chance of a scan?

19. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Sorry, but I didn't bring any of my collection with me to college. :( :_|

The Krath War Droids are seen in the Essential Guide to Droids, and they do have a passing resemblance to Teh General. I forget their original source, but I'm pretty sure its one of the TotJ comics.

Here's a low-quality fan colored version based on the EGtD illustration: War Droid, about half way down.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks, Rogue! I never saw that picture before. That's not what they looked like in the comics, though. Well... maybe a little. Kind of.

21. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    The one in the EGtD is much better, as is the schematic, but I couldn't find any better pics. These droids are the ones that attack the Jedi meeting in one of the comics (Freedon Nadd Uprising maybe?)

22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I don;t actually have "Freedon Nadd Uprising"... though I would sell a good half of my soul for it at this point. I know there were Krath droids in the other books though... one killed Arca Jeth.

23. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of. Which is it?

:)

24. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Happens in DLOTS.

25. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.