main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    :)

I also just finished a Katarn vs. Droga drawing, which I think is pretty good. I'll have to wait for a couple days till I post it though, since I have to get back to college to use a scanner.

On the subject of art, will there be any original art in the article?

2. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    So the release of the article has been delayed because of some stupid Transformers? Please tell me Abel that you did something more contributional to Star Wars than that. [face_worried]

I momentously await the release of this issue, whenever it comes out, even if hell freezes over.

[face_praying]

(Btw, I did like your cameo in Holonet in issue 84.)

3. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I think we were all just kidding around about the Transformers...

;)

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think you can await something momentously, either.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Sounds cool Rogue. Drop a link in the Kyle Katarn thread when you're ready. :)

Not originally. But the plan is to now publish it with new art. Hence the delay.

The transformer thing was just a joke that took on a life of its own, so no worries. As I said, the reason for the latest delay was to add original art to the project.

I have Joe & Dan to thank for that.

Take care,
    Abel

6. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Original art! [face_dancing]

Here's a semi-colored version of "The Droid General meets The Grand Admiral."

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/thrawnc.jpg]

7. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Any chance you could make a similar fanart with Commander Thrawn studying the physical droid mask of Grievous (holding it and examining it) with a stormtrooper watching nearby? :)

8. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Possibly... :)

It depends on my schedule, though. This week I have a lot of work to do, so it could be a while. Essays... bah!

Is there any particular droid mask design you like? Movie, cartoon, comic, etc?

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Now, damn it! :p

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I like the movie design best, of course. Char marks around the eye holes, of course, as it would look after Grievous got fried. :)

11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Ok, here's a hastily drawn potential layout. You want to have Utapau in the background, no?

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/twntest.jpg]

12. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Well, it's on a Star Destroyer bridge, so possibly through the viewport? Thanks! :)

13. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Viewports it is.

Now back to are regularly scheduled programming...

Reservoir Ewoks. You'll never stroke fur again...

;)

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Master Abel, while we're waiting for Rogue_Follower's next masterpiece (your Thrawn/Grievy rocked, dude!), I have a question (if this is a spoiler for your story, you don't have to answer).

Okay, I'm having a bit of an arguement with someone concerning GG's past (your specialty). Grievy was working for the IBC before his shuttle crash, right? Because my comrade is adament that he wasn't, which I... don't agree with. I guess this is one of those Visionaries/LOE continuity problems, but I'm pretty sure LOE was right on this one.

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I agree with Ms. Coffee... a masterpiece! You even made him light-blue as rather than royal. Very faithful to his description.

You're right on the first count, Coffee, and you'll probably be right on the second.

Take care,
    Abel

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Incidentally, R.I.P. Lobot, a.k.a. John Hollis. You were the baddest ass cyborg of them all.

17. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    :( :_|

Rest in peace, wherever you are...

18. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I agree with Ms. Coffee... a masterpiece! You even made him light-blue as rather than royal. Very faithful to his description. <<<

[face_blush] Thank you! :)

I wouldn't go that far, though... My skills aren't complete yet (though I am really pleased with the GG mask holo.) As to the color, I've always felt that the TLC comic provided the best depiction of him, and I've tried to base my coloring on that. Not quite right, so far.

Oh, and here's Kudzu's Thrawn request. I might clean and color it later.

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    This is what I'd originally envisioned, but I have to say I'm more partial to the holographic version. Still a neat piece.

Take care,
    Abel

20. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Wow, Rogue_Follower, that's great! I'd love to see it cleaned and colored - excellent job on that, and thanks so much! =D=

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Rogue_Follower, you certainly have a talent drawing Thrawn. I mean, Thrawn's not an easy guy to draw.... he has to be done just right or else his head looks like it's squashed in a funky way. I've noticed that happens sometimes with Thrawn pictures...

22. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks! :) There are two competing visions of Thrawn: long, thin face (usually seen in the comics) and the wider face seen elsewhere (TIE Fighter, WEG sourcebooks, etc.) There are also a few illustrations that fall in the in-between category. I personally prefer the lean version, specifically the HttE comic or the TLC comic versions, and especially the Essential Chronology variant. I'm not quite trying to copy those, though.

Actually, I'm not completely happy with that black & white. The darkness around his eyes looks silly, like a super-hero mask or something. It'll look much better once I've manipulated it. But Droga and Kyle (actually, homework, then Kyle [me], then Kyle [Katarn], then Droga) come first... :cool:

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I've gotten a look at the approved Grievous text.

Some minor changes, but it looks fairly intact.

I can now confirm that Joe Corroney has been hired to do the art. We're currently hammering out illustration possibilities.

Also, the full title of the article: "Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous"

Take care,
    Abel

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::updates thread title::

25. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Go Joe!

:D

Couldn't resist, mate.