main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"UNLIMITED POWER!" and so did Palpatine really have it?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WormieSaber, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Lucas says that "Anakin saved Sidous". Sidious couldn't beat Mace. The lightning was hurting him and Mace was on top. The bit he lied about was losing his power. He was making out that he was finished. But then, as we see, he still had great power and blew Mace away.

2. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    What unlimited power did Sidious have though? Lightning? that did nothing for him in the end. Control over the galaxy - he never truly got that. Control over the force - he never had that either. Nor could he cheat death or live forever. He just had unlimited power in his mind. He was arrogant.

Excuse me? Why wouldn't I?[face_laugh]

He was a foolish, greedy, sad old cripple.

3. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Exactly. And thats what Lucas says as well.

4. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Indeed!
    Nothing more to add really!

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. That was cool to see, but meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Word.
    From the landing pad to the Office of the Supreme Chancellor, Mace and the Posse were nothing more than dead man walking...

6. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    ...Because Anakin betrayed them. Not because Sidious is some kind of all seeing Demi-God who can't be killed by anyone or anything other than a old, sad, robotic cripple.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Vader's eye-sockets should have shattered from the lightning, sort-of like Grievous' eyeballs caught fire when Kenobi fried his gutsack.

Did you read the revised prophecy?

Only a crippled, remorse-filed ex-Jedi-turned walking-windbag can bring down the Dark Lord of the Sith.:p

I luv midichlorians...:rolleyes:

8. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
  9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    "When you learn to quiet your mind, you hear them speaking to you..." TPM

"The Midi's say... I must obey my Master!" Revised-ROTJ

My how the dialogue has changed.8-}

10. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Sidious isn't an all seeing demi-god...however, he was more than a match for Mace Windu. For those that believe Mace genuinely had Sidious beaten, how do you explain Sidious's sudden resurgence in power? How do you explain the split second transformation from defeated wimpering old man trapped in the corner of the window, to cocky, arrogant, full of energy SOB the next second? I don't remember seeing Sidious take any sensu beans that magically restored all of his power, ala Goku/DBZ. The Force does not regenerate instantaneously. If it did, Qui Gon would not have have needed to rest between the force fields on Naboo, so you can't argue that Sidious merely got his second wind...truth is, he never really lost his first wind. He bounced back so quickly because he still had his power.

11. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Master_Shaitan posted:
    What unlimited power did Sidious have though? Lightning? that did nothing for him in the end. Control over the galaxy - he never truly got that. Control over the force - he never had that either. Nor could he cheat death or live forever. He just had unlimited power in his mind. He was arrogant.

Never did the Emperor claim he had unlimited power. He only said that the dark side of the Force offers you unlimited power. It's difficult to say what powers the Emperor had discovered by RotJ because he doesn't get any screen time in that context. The audience is to assume Palpatine is quite powerful because he's Vader's Master. But if EU is your thing, by RotJ he was onto Plagueis's secret and had discovered a way to continously clone himself to live forever.

Excuse me? Why wouldn't I? He was a foolish, greedy, sad old cripple

It's statements like these that shows something was lost in translation during constuction of the prequels. Personally, I think your way off by taking this attitude. Darth Vader, Dark freaking Lord of the Sith here! He was 80% of Palpatine's power in RotJ and he lost all his limbs. And yet when you see him toying with Luke on Bespin, he looks downright graceful in the suit. Greedy? Yes. Foolish? perhaps. Sad, old cripple? No way.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yes, but remember that Palpatine needed Anakin to turn. That's why the minute Anakin comes into his office, he changes tactics. He blasts Mace, but not with the intent of killing him. It was to prompt Mace into trying to kill him, which would then force Anakin to choose. Palpatine could get past Mace's defenses in time, he just chose not to. Besides, the lightning wasn't hurting him. It just altered his face, which wasn't nothing.

13. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003

It didn't alter his face, that was his natural face. Ian said this in Star Wars Insider.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    We were told later that wasn't actual. There's debate within Lucasfilm as to whether that was his true face or damage from the Lightning.

15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Easy. That Sidious was beaten, but not any where near as weak as he was pretending, or as Lucas said, Mace had overpowered Sidious and then Palpatine exagerrated his weakness.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Vader had the same midichlorian count in ESB that he had in TPM.

17. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    To those who say that Sinister could beat Mace in due time: where is the evidence of this? Lucas stated that Mace overpowered him - he didn't specify that he did so with a lightsaber. Palpatine exaggerated his weakness - but then there must have been weakness in him. Mace knew this, and consequently would not let his guard down.

I just don't see Sideous on his ass owning Mace that easily!

18. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Sidious has an ability that no force user could ever hope to counter. He "Force Hulked up". This rare ability is only known to have existed in one other being...a human who dominate his planet's grappling sport for over a decade...Like this legendary grappler, Sidious possessed the ability to seemingly get beat down, only to have a sudden burst of unstoppable strength which lead to the quick end of the fight, ALWAYS in his favor. Physically the Dark Lord of the Sith seemed overmatched, however, with the knowledge of the TRUE "Immortal" one, Sidious knew the battle only had one outcome. Once his legendary "Force Hulk Up" power was applied, Mace was finished. "Force Hulking Up" truly is the secret of unlimited power. To truly achieve immortality, Sidious knew he had to say his prayers, train, and take his vitamins.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Told by whom?

I don't get it. Insider is licensed by Lucasfilm. If Ian says something in Insider, it's not necessarily accurate? Doesn't that mean that anything anyone, including Pablo, said in Insider can be similarly discarded?

It's like the Plagueis thing. According to someone who heard the Feb.5 interview, the issue is Palpatine's backstory ( which makes sense given that Luceno said in a 2005 interview that Palpatine's apprenticeship was an "off limits" area, which is why it seemed strange when a Plagueis novel was announced in the first place ).
    Most people, however, assume the issue is Anakin's backstory.

These "debates within Lucasfilm"... :rolleyes:
    We should all be grateful this mode of thinking wasn't in style in 1980.
    If it was, Vader wouldn't be Luke's father.
    Instead, it would have been "left up to the audience to decide", or there would have been an unending "debate" on the issue.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, he doesn't. He loses his limbs and thus his power is diminished.

I wanna say Pablo said it.

Hey, I'm just the messenger. Ian was going off of information that I think it was Pablo, who said wasn't quite accurate.

As to the now aborted Plagueis novel, it wouldn't exactly feature Palpatine's apprenticeship. It could've focused on the apprenticeship of Plagueis, like Bane's did.

21. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Tell that to Lucas. He has called Vader all those things.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, yeah. In the same way that if I lost my limbs, my power would be diminished. But the cells in the remaining portion of him still have the TPM midi count.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    One person ( or people ) who I think should weigh in on this issue would be whoever created the makeup for the character.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But that's not as high as the cells that are lost by having four limbs cut and a good portion of the body burnt to a tender crisp.

25. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    But you have to see the argument:
    Midichlorians are described as something that resides in your cells. The midichlorian count should be an amount in that specific cell. Let's say that Yoda has 20,000 midi's in one of his cells. Anakin has 25,000 (I have no idea about their counts, I'm just saying something).

If it is so that your limbs, and consequently your size, should play a significant part, nobody has as high a midi count as Yoda. He is 1/4 of Anakin's size, but not that much lower a midi-count.

Or am I way off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.