main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unloved & Underappreciated: The Cancelled Sci-Fi Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    This is the place for you to come in and pontificate your love for sci-fi shows that networks unceremoniously cancelled well before their time.

Sci-Fi tv as a genre is expensive to produce and often takes a while to locate/build an audience. Too many shows are pulled before they earn the chance to find an audience.

What were your favorite shows that ended too soon? Feel free to discuss/debate the merits of your favorite cancelled shows.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Two of my fave shows that were cancelled to damn soon were

1)Briscoe County Jr. What a fun show that was. Watching Bruce Campbell wasn't certainly wasn't hard on the eyes and the scifi plots and forshadowing of things to come... (Dunkin Donuts & Drvie thrus) were hilarious.

2) Tru Calling, hard for me to believe Aaron Spelling could come up with such a wicked show. Didn't hurt that a BTVS alumni starred, but it was just getting really good when the plug was pulled. *grumble grumble*

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Come back Futurama!! :_|

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I heard Futurama may be coming back.

5. masterluke9

masterluke9 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    I want Firefly!

6. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Oooh, Briscoe County [face_love] [face_love]

7. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    They're making a Futurama DVD movie I heard and many fans hope the sales will bring the show back, just like Family Guy DVD sales brought the show back.

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Firefly, Futurama, and one of my all time favorites...

The Lone Gunmen! They're not even alive anymore. :( I'd still love to see a prequel-esque TV series for them. Harsh Realm was pretty cool, too, in a Matrix-y way.

9. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Angel

~PK~

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I have to say that 4 of my all time favorite cancelled shows were:

Nowhere Man: First show on UPN coupled w/ Voyager. Story about a man who's life was taken away from him - he remembers everything but nobody remembers him, his wife, coworkers, no one. He must find out who took away his life - all because of a single photograph that he had in his possession of an execution in a jungle.

GREAT conspiracy show that if you watch today is very eerie. At least they got a chance to wrap up the show, but it easily could've lasted a couple more seasons.

Dark Angel: James Cameron's first foray into TV. This show was fantastic and introduced us to Jessica Alba and Jensen Ackles (Supernatural.) The series had a complete, huge stage setup created for it and consistantly had quality writing. For the 2 seasons that we did get, we got a LOT of story and character development. The times when we did have action sequences they were top notch.

Unfortunately Fox killed it right when the mythology was about to explode :(

Anyone else love these shows?

11. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I loved Nowhere Man! :_| I was so sad it was cancelled! Pretender was another one I was upset was cancelled. [face_frustrated]

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I agree with Leona about Briscoe County. :) That show rocked.

Wish we could have Buffy and Angel back as well as Firefly.

13. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Farscape without a doubt

SciFi went and cancelled it leaving us with an awful cliffhanger :mad:

Granted they were lucky enough to get the miniseries to wrap up loose ends, but it still had so much potential.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Earth 2: A good Sci - Fi series that ended on a cliffhanger right as the mythology was about to implode and probably the #1 reason I don't watch too many network Sci - Fi series until they are at least in their second season.

Edit: I knew I should have been more careful in venturing onto this board. Back foul plot bunnies, back!

15. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ok it was canceled but brought back in the UK and canada but

Dr Who the new series.

I want to watch it. I used to love watching the old series when i was young on PBS.

16. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    There was a cool show on CBS back in 93 called Space Rangers, that I really enjoyed. It was very entertaining, with great characters and good Special FX. But CBS cancelled it, mid-way through its first season. :(
    [image=http://movies.battleangel.org/cache/img/dcb6d78758f44bd420057276743a18fb.jpg]

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Farscape without a doubt

SciFi went and cancelled it leaving us with an awful cliffhanger angry

Granted they were lucky enough to get the miniseries to wrap up loose ends, but it still had so much potential.

The produces of Farscape have said that they intend to bring Farscape back in some way, shape or form. It probably won't be a season 5/6 but possibly a new mini-series. Though that got somewhat trickier to do with Browder and Black on SG

18. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2004
    QFT

I've heard a lot about Firefly and am curious, should I purchase the complete series? It is 35 bucks and I have some money left-over from the holidays.

19. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Most definately! :( *lights a candle in rememberance*

20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I lament the losses of both Farscape and Angel. There was still a vast potential for both properties when they pulled the plug on them.

The one show that I dispair over though was cancelled not once, but twice. Millenium had a decently good premise behind it, and given the time frame and current world events was looking to be a finite series that would have a solid resolution after probably 4 seasons. The first season was spent with the show getting on it's feet, and then the second series really started to delve into the entire mythos of the Millenium group, and I was enjoying the addition of Lara Mears. Then half way through the season they decide not to renew it and the writers at least give the show some closure. Subsequent to that the decision is made to renew the show, meaning that a large retcon is required to start again, and now you have to build up again. This didn't help the series and it got cut again the next year after a season-ending cliffhanger, with the entire story having to be resolved in a single issue of X-Files (which was horribly done).

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  22. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I thought Odyssey 5 was a great show.

Cancelled after one season:(

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    An article from the SciFiWire stated that there are early talks to bring back Futurama. However, Firefly will not be coming back. :(

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    D'oh :oops: I knew I was forgetting another great show. I loved Odyssey 5 and recently watched it in its entirety again. What a waste that they didn't continue the show, it had such a great premises.

25. EiryMatann

EiryMatann Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2005
    Angel. I was utterly dejected when that show ended. It was a travesty that show was cancelled. The series finale felt like a lead-in to a really great season, but, alas, it was only a cliffhanger ending to the show.

Its best years were ahead of it... oh well...

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.