main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Unofficial poster and TLJ art by JC'ers

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Apr 14, 2017.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    While we're waiting for the stream to start, here's something I'll be adding to over the next couple of weeks, and other artistically minded JC members are very welcome to post their own stuff here, too (the fan art thread tends to be very focused on "found" art as opposed to art by us here)

So, I've given myself a brief. I've got two weeks to make a traditionally illustrated TLJ poster using scenes and images that are released today (and using existing images where neccesary)

My rules are

*two week deadline
    *no tracing
    *older images of actors for reference photos are fine. But designing costumes/looks that we aren't shown is not - I will work on this as if I've been given imagery to work with, not as if I'm designing characters too.

I've already made a start, at least in preparation.
    I've gessoed some illustration board to add texture, and so I can have my midtones already done.
    I'll be talking through my process and how it relates to and differs from that of my influences (Struzan being the biggie for these purposes)
    I've gone for a basic bit of texture, because as yet I have no idea what imagery I'm likely to include. If I knew my composition in advance, I might add ripples around sunlight, that kind of thing. It's quite exciting to work not knowing what the final piece will look like

Here's the first vid, 30 seconds long

Later videos will be more interesting, with time lapses and in depth look at the process.

Here's a badly shot 2 minute vid that shows my dry run for this from a few weeks back

Feel free to join in with your own art, but no found art here please.

Thanks

2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I've got a composition in mind now, but I've had a fruitless search for high quality versions of the photos shown at the panel yesterday

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That'll probably change within the week.

4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I might need to extend my personal deadline then :D

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    A cheeky bump to ask if anyone has somehow seen non-screengrabbed versions of the stills of Luke looking windswept, KMT as Rose, Finn sitting, and Rey in profile holding the staff?

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Resurrecting this now I've got enough reference photos to be able to make design choices instead of having to use what is out there. feel free to join in with your own drawings if you like, and I'm open to questions, critique, discussion etc as I go. I'll do some videos and if there's interest I'll carry on with this - join in and discuss if you're interested though, I don't want to spam the forum if no one wants to see this.
    Sticking to the terms of the original post, though some of it isn't so relevant now.

Here's the first pic, which is a very rough sketch of the placement of characters and images, drawn on iPad.
    I've gessoed a 30 x 40 inch board, which is where I'll be doing the actual drawing. I'll use a grid for proportions, but will otherwise draw freehand.
    It doesn't look like much right now, but the idea is that Rey and Kylo's lightsaber are used to connect them, and the sabers will change colour where they meet behind Leia, symbolically hinting that Kylo's destiny may be influenced by his relationship with his mother

[​IMG]

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    This is the last upload that won't be a bit more exciting - applying gesso to board. The interesting bit is that because I'll be working with very thin paint, through an airbrush, im adding texture here. The circles you see will be light sources, and the ripples around them will help sell the illusion of light. Elsewhere I'm adding a rough texture which will be the rocks of acht-to.

8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Apologies for multiple posts, this will be the last one today unless there is some interest, but this is where it starts to get good so hopefully people will post if they like it.
    So here we have the underdrawing of Rey - I'll be adding to it later once more elements are in place and I try to pull it all together, but the likeness is there and I'm satisfied that the style is sufficiently Struzanesque. Heavy dark areas and areas that will be very well lit, detail hinted at rather than fully rendered. Assuming the thread doesn't sink like a stone (a big assumption at this rate) I'll post a speed drawing of this bit that'll be about a minute and a half long, and then I'll draw the next elements

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I wanna see some Porg fanart..

CEB likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Wit til you see the finished poster

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Please continue CEB

Jedi Knight Fett and CEB like this.
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I've skipped forward a bit, but I'll have a full process video once it's done.

[​IMG]

It's really hard to get a good photo of it as it's so big. It's nowhere near finished yet, but painting Luke with a lightsaber made me happy. It's good to see it painted rather than photoshopped or something.
    nightangel do you approve of this version of Luke? :D

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The lightsaber looks beautiful painted. It's been too long since I've seen an activated blade that was not digitally created. Great job sir.

nightangel and CEB like this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    The inclusion of Rock Yoda is what makes it.

oncafar, Gigoran Monk and CEB like this.
  16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm glad you said that, because I spent about half an hour studying Drew Struzans lightsabers to look for a more painterly way of doing it. I love digital drawing, but digitally painting lightsabers is so easy as to take the fun out of it. I think the trick is to not overdo the colour, and that the light doesn't have to be incredibly intense but does have to overpower local objects.

ThreeDeathstickProblem ha- it's my own photo of Rock Yoda, too.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, perfect. ^:)^

18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Now to paint his yellow Sith eyes in

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    [face_plain] :rolleyes:

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The whole thing is coming together wonderfully. You're doing a marvelous job with the whole piece, but I was just so struck (ha ha) by gradient between the green and white of the saber blade. That 30 minutes of study of Drew's work is echoed quite nicely in your poster.

nightangel likes this.
  21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    OK, here's a video showing the drawing stage of this piece

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Looks great, though I prefer CGI Yoda. Rock Yoda just isn't as expressive.

23. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Nice find detail.

24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Finished!

[​IMG]