main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Unpopular Expanded Universe Opinions

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Irredeemable Fanboy, Jan 20, 2021.

1. pellaeon01

pellaeon01 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    Good to know, I'm looking forward to reading them!

AusStig likes this.
  2. Xesh, Quinlan Vos and Cade Skywalker are the same character
    Zayne Carrick KOTOR comics is one of the most underrated EU works
    Palpatine underworld backstory is the Lucas canon origin of Palpatine
    Disney canon is "fanfiction" like the EU was
    We had enough adventures of Anakin and Obi Wan Luke, Han, Leia deserve screen time too i always wanted a show like 2003 CW or TCW but for Original Trilogy heroes
    KOTOR 1 is a better reboot of a new hope than TFA

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Revan is not an interesting character
    Anakin Solo is also an extremely bland uncompeling character.
    The EU would have been better in terms of quality if at least one of the big three had died after the NJO.
    The lack of secondary and tertiary characters in the EU post NJO is a major failing which weakens the EU’s literary merit considerably.
    Certain EU characters such as thrawn and Mara aren’t popular due to their merits as much as just being identified or equated with the EU itself and the process of social osmosis. “Everyone says Thrawn and Mara are cool, therefore I think they are cool too”.

ArindaRise, Anedon and AusStig like this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I think it is also nostalgia. Early EU and all that.

ArindaRise likes this.
  5. pellaeon01

Feb 12, 2021
    I think bandwagoning is definitely a part of their popularity, but they had to have been at least somewhat decent for that kind of thing to start in the first place. Although later works you could argue were bad for Mara as a character, as originally written by Zahn they were both great in my opinion.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    Personally, I think Pellaeon is a more interesting character than Thrawn.

Pellaeon is the best admiral in Star Wars and if you disagree... well you’re wrong.

7. pellaeon01

Feb 12, 2021
    100% agree with this, especially when he becomes much more of a main character in the Hand of Thrawn Duology and after.

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Several of the Warlords Daala gassed, mostly Harrsk, Delvardus and Teradoc where far more intresting characters than Daala, Pellaeon and Thrawn.

In general Imperial Warlords>Imperial Remnant.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I find Pellaeon most interesting when he isn't portrayed as a 'good guy', Destanies Way is a good example of they I like him to be.

10. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    I’m not sure if this might be better off in it’s own thread, but Kreia and all her fans are wrong about the Force. The Force isn’t a god, it doesn’t control people or manipulate events to achieve some set of goals.

At least this is what Kreia fans seem to imply.

AusStig likes this.
  11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Suplemental.

Kreia, isn't smart or interesting. She is just a crazy, jealous, bitter old woman blaming anyone and everyone else for her problems, that she made herself.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I would say just overall....and a over reliance on the Big 3

adaml83 and pellaeon01 like this.
  13. pellaeon01

Feb 12, 2021
    With the exception of the really major characters like Mara/Lando/Solo kids/etc., there is definitely a feeling that each standalone/series is the big 3 plus whatever new characters the author created, who most likely will never play a major role in any future works.

AusStig likes this.
  14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I´m glad the EU was never adapted into movies, cause if I see how much Dave Filoni already changed the elements of the EU he 'adapted' from Dathomir to Quinlan Vos, I kinda feel any movie adaptation of things like NJO or even the Thrawn trilogy would have been extremly unfaithfull with deviations only becoming worse as time would have gone on.

15. pellaeon01

Feb 12, 2021
    I definitely think this would've been the case. Had they gone ahead with movies, we would've ended up with two different canons like we have now, as the next movie would stay faithful and consistent to the previous, which had already deviated from the books, to the point where they are telling a completely different and contradictory story.

As much as people may say that they want/wanted a film adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy or what have you, I think it's a good thing for everyone involved that it didn't happen.

Anedon likes this.
  16. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    The other problem with making movies out of the expanded universe is that because it consists of a lot books, most of it is down to our imaginations, the appearances of the characters, how they sound, the different locations etc.

So when you do a movie adaptation there are bound to be bad castings and characters not looking how many imagined.

In some cases they could look nothing like the character and everyone would be annoyed. So yes, leaving the eu to books/comics/video games is the best option if you ask me.

On a side note, I know it’s not an adaptation of a book, but a good example of terrible casting for an adaptation would be the Avatar The Last Airbender live action movie.
    *proceeds to vomit*

pellaeon01, AusStig and Anedon like this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I agree that overtime the changes would only grow, each change requiring further down the line. If we just think that Harrison Ford would have probably not agreed for an entire series of movies(he apparently only said yes to TFA because Han died in it) it would already have required massive rewirtes to make the stories work without Han. Given how much story legends has and how much is centered around small cast of characters I think actor problems would only get worse as time goes on. Would the Solo kid actors stay? Just imagine if the Jaina or Jacen actor would have had enough halfway through NJO, would their character get Anakins death instead? Yes recasting is an option but never a popular one, and utterly out of the question for the big three and other OT characters.

The Walking Dead kinda showcases that, as it starts largley following the comic plotline but then with every season deviates more and more from it. Partially due to deliberate changes but also due to actors wanting to leave, thus leading to characters dying who live in the comics, while other characters might fill their role later on.

Plus one would be forced to make cuts, in a Thrawn trilogy adaptation would there be room for characters like Ghent or Winter? I feel they would at best cameos in the movies...

18. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I find the Remnant interesting, though not as much as the Fel Empire later on, it has more to it, a "Light Sided" Force Organization, a more benevolent approach to ruling, but still having all the flaws of a totalitarian rule on the galaxy, and the corruption that comes with it, i think that is what makes it interesting, it's not a "Good Empire" but a different one, one that has changed with time.

And i know i'm going to get gassed for saying this, but i kind of like the "Warlord of the week" format for Bantam stories, because Imperial Warlord factions can be very interesting when explored on their unique takes on their "succession" to the Empire, and also because it shows how fragmented and chaotic the Empire became after Palpatine was gone (or assumed to be gone) in many ways, it exposes how egotistical and terrible most of the Imperial Commanders were now that they have no leash to hold them off to a larger power.

@JediAvatar @AusStig I personally think Kreia is a very interesting and thought provoking character, but i agree with you on that she isn't the all-knowing perfect being that her fanbase seems to potray her as, she brings up an interesting point of view and some of her criticisms of the Jedi and the Sith are valid, but she also is a bitter and mean spirited old woman who doesn't care about people, but rather to fulfill her plan, her "vision". In many ways she is very similar to Darth Krayt.

YES.

This is partially the reason i think making the new Sequel Trilogy it's own thing was the good move, because when it got announced i was worried about them butchering some of the stories if they adapted it.

Funny how, before they announced the decanonization of the EU, i legitimately thought they were going for an adaptation.

Thinking about it nowdays, they could have still made it it's own original story but set after the novels (and before Legacy) with Luke, Han and Leia, since they're still alive by the end of the EU's story, but i can see why that would have been very limiting in regards to storytelling (and if they did something that contradicted Legacy i would have hated it). I'd rather have the whole EU decanonized and the New Disney stuff being it's own thing, than butchering the chronology to make space for new stories that don't fit (cough, TCW, cough).

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Post Endor Era post Bantam honestly is not that interesting and just gets away from the core elements of Star Wars for my liking....and also just way to impenetrable and confusing.

The Emotional Jedi and AusStig like this.
  20. The old Lucasarts games are better than the movies i will never become a SW fan without these games
    KOTOR, Republic Commando, Dark Forces, Force Unleashed, Shadow of the Empire

adaml83 and AusStig like this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Shadows of the Empire is what made me a Star Wars fan.

22. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    I completely agree with you. I like the character and think she’s very insightful and wise, albeit very cynical and angry, especially when she fried that poor droid for no reason.
    Plot twist, Kreia was a Vong infiltrator...

I agree that she brings up valid criticisms of the Jedi and Sith, especially the idea of what is a Jedi without the force. Back then it was fine but my problem with the whole Jedi bashing now is that it’s become so mainstream at this point that I don’t think it requires any critical thinking to criticise them when they’re just a bunch of dogmatic, close minded moral absolutists.

My issue with the character is similar to my issues with Ahsoka. It’s more to do with her fans rather than the character herself. They put her on a pedestal and treat her as like you say this all knowing ball of wisdom, and if you disagree with Kreia, then you don’t understand Star Wars according to them. Every Kreia fan needs to sit down and read NJO Traitor, or any Stover book for that matter. He’s an author who actually gets the Force

On a side note, Vergere would have Kreia for breakfast in a debate about the Force. Unless of course we’re taking into account the infamous (and stupid) LOTF retcon, where they say that Vergere was actually Darth KFC, in which case Kreia would be having her for dinner.

23. adalmentia

adalmentia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2020
    Callista certainly doesn't deserve all this hate

24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Callista fits better with Luke than Mara.

UltramassiveUbersue and AusStig like this.
  25. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Their biggest difference is that Kreia sees the Force as the ultimate evil, and Vergere sees it as the ultimate salvation, they base their philosophies on those principles, so right from the beginning they are at odds.

And personally i think the retcon of Vergere studying Sith teachings for a while before her mission to Zonama Sekot doesn't fundamentally change anything about her as a character or her ideals during the NJO series (at least based on how it is potrayed in Legacy which is how i found out about her, maybe in the LOTF books it's a different matter).

Also, Darth KFC [face_laugh].