main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Unpopular Expanded Universe Opinions

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Irredeemable Fanboy, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Very much this. In fact, I'm working on my own rewritten Star Wars universe, in which I basically rewrite everything post-1999. And in this universe, there are no such things as Chosen Ones, balance and blah blah blah.

Doompup, Darth Dnej and JediAvatar like this.
  2. The EU was Canon when the Prequels came out you needed to read the Multimedia Project Novels and Comics and play the Video Games to know what happened during the Clone Wars in 2003 and 2004 those Novels and Comics were considered as Stories that were actually taking place during the Clone Wars they were considered "Real" there was a site of HoloNet News where there was news of the Clone Wars giving everything more realism a Pre 2014 EU Reboot first occurred in 2008 with TCW Show

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Anakin being trained by a more open minded master, wether that is Qui Gon or someone else, would have only made his already fatal entitlment issues even worse.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Can you expand on this?

5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I feel if he had a master who had allowed him even more, and let his head swell even larger things would have escalated more. In the "best" case Anakin would have gotten himself killed while overestimating yourself. In the worst he would have fallen even faster under the sway of Palpatine as he would have felt even more like the jedi owed him. Plus it would have upset legions of other Padawans/Jedi that the Skywalker guy gets away with everything and can break any rule.

Like say Qui Gon would have pushed through Anakin being allowed to marry Padme. Many other Jedi would be upset, and Anakin would still fall seeing visions of her die... And even if he dodges that, he would want his kids in the order and them getting the same priviledges.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Gamiel likes this.
  6. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I disagree. However, that's not the matter. The matter is, why is it an unpopular EXAPNDED UNIVERSE opinion?

7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Because many of the potential alternative masters, sans Qui Gon, come from the EU. Like the Dark Woman, Hett, Altis and others...

Gamiel and AusStig like this.
  8. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    What? Qui-Gon comes from the EU?

9. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I said except Qui Gon.

10. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    I don't mind the return of Darth Maul. However, if I had to choose, then I would take the Visionaries comic where he's killed by Owen 1,000 times over everything Filoni did with him in TCW and Rebels. The Visionaries comic can fit in the actual Legends timeline and feels set in the same universe as the Multimedia Project and the Prequels, while Maul's TCW story doesn't.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    VergeresTears, Doompup and AusStig like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Darth Maul’s resurrection was an extremely bad call.
    Ahsoka is really inconsistent with Anakin’s character and development-as interesting as the concept is “Anakin as a teacher”
    The EU didn’t amp force powers enough.

Irredeemable Fanboy and AusStig like this.
  12. KnightofRaxusPrime

KnightofRaxusPrime Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2022
    Well, I mean.
    You have Sith who can suck worlds clean of energy, amulets to intensify Force Power, a thought bomb that destroyed Force beings caught in its grasp and trapped their souls, the Valley of the Jedi, etc. Maybe one could say the EU amped up Force Powers a bit too much. :p

I do think Anakin having Ahsoka as an apprentice wasn't a good call, because for me it didn't sit well for someone unstable as Anakin to even have a student. It takes away from his brotherhood with Obi-Wan, but maybe it could have worked out better if they were best friends instead of student and master. Maybe she could be the apprentice of another Jedi Master who was killed and Obi-Wan took her in temporarily due to the great losses the Jedi were suffering during the Clone Wars and as they go on some adventures Padawan Anakin would attempt to give advice, revealing in bits the clash that is starting to form between Obi-Wan's teachings and that of Anakin's worldview which is becoming influenced by Palpatine.

I see Ahsoka as a little Anakin in some ways with her rashness, but their paths split in how Ahsoka was able to smooth the bumps in her childish character to mature into a (well I'm not sure if this is what they are going for) Grey Jedi, while Anakin allowed his rashness and other negative emotions to be taken advantage of by Palpatine to become Darth Vader.

I strongly believe that we need a break from Ahsoka, because too much of a good thing can be bad for you. Like having too much chocolate can give you a stomach ache, have Ahsoka in everything makes the galaxy a bit smaller.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  13. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Exactly. As far as I'm concerned, they should have killed her off in Rebels, and then never use her again, not even in TCW Season 7.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Funnily enough there is a character who could fit the 'jedi friend' role, first is Bariss Offee, since she and Anakin were the same age and got along well in legends, other is Serra Keto
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Serra_Keto
    who even is a bit like Ahsoka.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  15. I enjoy reading Star Wars Novels or Comics more than watching the Movies or the TV Shows i think Star Wars is better in the form of Novels/Books

Darth Dnej and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    The old Expanded Universe has too little Padmé content.

If there's one thing missing in the old EU, it's more content focused on Padmé. I mean, we’re talking about Luke and Leia’s mother, Anakin’s wife, the one who allowed the Skywalker family to continue to exist after Shmi and Anakin. Honestly, I think she deserved a little more attention when the EU was still Canon, since in most of the EU Prequel Era material she's just a minor character at best, or she's not even mentioned at worst. It would have been nice if the old EU authors had come up with at least one novel about her, maybe a novel that could have been part of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project.

Also, I would have liked to have more information about Sabé, Dormé and the other handmaidens in the Legends universe. I think the handmaidens deserved a little more in Legends, too. To be honest, I always loved Dormé and Sabé. If Padmé is my Goddess, then the two of them are my babes, especially Dormé (again, I'm talking about their Legends versions). It's such a shame that we almost don't know nothing about Dormé in Legends. I love Rose Byrne so much!

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I don't think this is too unpopular. But yes they did need more padme, don't know why she didn't show up in the comics at least.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  18. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    The Essential Reader's Companion has an explanation for her absence, particularly from the CWMMP stories:
    "When the prequel trilogy was in production, the editors at Lucasfilm restricted authors from including Padmé Amidala in the spin-off fiction, particularly in the period between Episodes II and III, as her pregnancy was not yet known to many beyond George Lucas."
    It's not like the EU did much to make up for it in the decade afterwards, though, outside of TCW.

AusStig likes this.
  19. If the EU was not Canon during the Prequels then why Obi Wan said in Episode 3: "Master Vos moved his troops to Boz Pity" there was not TCW in 2005 and Quinlan did not appear in 2003 Tartakovsky Clone Wars Show so the only way Fans know who was Master Vos was reading the Multimedia Project Comics Quinlan Vos was the most popular character in Clone Wars Comics and George dont wanted Quinlan to died in the Dark Horse Comics because he wanted to use Quinlan in Underworld Show so if the EU was not part of his Universe why he cared so much about Quinlan dying in those Comics? for me that was proof enough that the EU was Canon during the Prequels and George not wanted to make an Episode 7 during that time he somewhat passed the torch to the Post ROTJ EU for a ROTJ Sequels

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  20. SWTOR should have taken place during the New Sith Wars better having so much technology would have made more sense since they were closer to the Prequels Era SWTOR should not have used or made references to the KOTOR Games in order to have a better mystery i didnt like how they used Revan and the Exile with she being defeated so Easy or Revan being in a Vitiate prison for more than 100 years The True Sith Storyline should have been a different conflict from SWTOR but i accept even if i dont like SWTOR that Game is Canon to the Legends Universe

Knight Errant had the potential to be a very Good Story since it takes place during the New Sith Wars but i feel like it was a very forgettable Story

The concept of The Star Wars Comic was Good but the execution was bad and ends up being a Mediocre Comic

The SWTOR Comics was one of the Worst EU/Legends Comics that i ever read

I enjoyed The Lost Tribe of The Sith Comics even if its Weird and it doesnt feel very Star Wars but i get it since they are different versions of the Sith i want to read The Lost Tribe of The Sith Novels

The New Canon Star Wars Comics are Very Weird too and they are very forgettable i find it hard to believe all that happens during the Movies

If High Republic was an EU/Legends Story it would not have had the same impact since in Legends there were many Stories focused on the Jedi

I enjoy both Legends and New Canon but i prefer Legends maybe its because i grew up with Legends and im more Nostalgic for that Universe

I dont care that much about Lucas Vision, Lucas World or Lucas Canon we dont know nothing about that World outside of the 6 Original Movies and 6 Seasons of TCW and we probably never will so i dont care for Lucas Vision or Canon anymore Star Wars expanded beyond Lucas Vision

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
  21. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    Amen.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  22. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    The despecialized version of Return of the Jedi fits better with the rest of the EU than any of the subsequent Special Editions. I personally don't like the idea of a victory celebration all across the Galaxy. As we know through the EU, the Battle of Endor didn't mean the total defeat of the Empire in the entire Galaxy, but simply the turning point in the fight against the Empire. In fact, after Endor the Empire still had control of many of the most important planets, including Coruscant and Naboo. Thus, seeing a victory celebration on those two planets makes no sense, because they were still in Imperial hands and the Rebellion had not yet totally won the war. So, I think it would be better to circumscribe the celebration on Endor without showing any other celebration in the Galaxy. Therefore, Yub Nub is a necessary evil that I'm willing to accept for a matter of consistency with the rest of the EU.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The novel Iron Fist talks about this

24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thing things like that happen in RL, there were celebrations and spontaneous uprisings in many Sovjet Block states when Stalin died, some of them even briefley giving hope that the countries could free themselves... which were all put down shortly afterwards, just like the celebrations after Palpatine died. So I think having the celebrations does fit, they were just put down quickly after breaking out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    AusStig and Iron_lord like this.
  25. The Emotional Jedi

May 18, 2021
    The Clone Wars Multimedia Project happens in the same universe as George Lucas' Prequel Trilogy, while TCW happens in a different universe, in which the Prequel Trilogy is different and in which Anakin is a different character.

AusStig likes this.