main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Unpopular Expanded Universe Opinions

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Irredeemable Fanboy, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Oh, that explains a lot...
    Yeah, in fact i held that belief for some time, though since it's implied such ending leads to the Endor DLC it's hard to say.

AusStig likes this.
  2. Darth Tenebrous was more interesting than Darth Plagueis

3. Starkiller should got a Darth title i like the name Darth Icky

JediAvatar likes this.
  4. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    Or we could go with Darth Insanius. Thanks George.
    [​IMG]

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The entire Force Unleashed universe feels like a AU or at least a divergent timeline

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. KaleeshFett

KaleeshFett Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2021
    One of the big ones that's already been mentioned are the TFU games, particularly the first one. I love the visual aesthetic of the game and the story I think is pretty decent as well, especially paired with the novelization. Bounty Hunter and the Starfighter duology of games are also underappreciated gems with fun little stories.

Another one is the fact that I rather enjoyed the Legacy of the Force book series, which is definitely an unpopular opinion that will get you crucified at your local EU book club. My favorite book in the series being Bloodlines as I love seeing Old Man Boba Fett in action.

darkspine10 likes this.
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I prefer SW being written as low fantasy as opposed to the high fantasy its currently written as.

Riv_Shiel and Lord Sith Harloxzz like this.
  8. The idea of Palpatine master being an alien was brillant considering that the Empire is pro human

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe that explains why I prefer NuCanon stuff more because it's High Fantasy.

10. i always view Star Wars as low sci fi and not Lord of the Rings in space i dont like the new canon and TCW that much because they want the OT feel while the original 6 movies only the force is the magic element and midichlorians in the original PT movies contradict the mysticism and explain the force in a scientific way

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2021
  11. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    reading some of these is interesting, and then seeing the registered dates.

I don't know if I have any "unpopular" opinions as I don't know if my views are that unpopular (Corran Horn is a bad character, Dark Empire is a horrible story line, etc)

12. adalmentia

adalmentia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2020
    Of Zahn's favorite characters, Han is the only one he wrote impartially

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of Brian Daley's Han Solo Trilogy. They're ok, but I never understood what the big deal was with them. I mean, they introduced A LOT of concepts and ideas that got used, reused and developed further as the EU progressed. They are important in that way. But the books themselves are rather bland for my taste.

14. it was a mistake to delete all the EU i understand post ROTJ stories but the rest can co exist well with new material

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Eh I'm kinda glad we can reboot the Pre Phantom Menace Era and streamline a lot of it...Plus we can get rid of TOR too.

16. SWTOR is the last Star Wars product that feel like Star Wars for me

AusStig likes this.
  17. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Other unpopular opinions that have come to mind these days and that I did not put the last time:

1) TCW ruined the Expanded Universe, and it’s being said by a huge fan of the series and a super-strong Ahsoka simp.
    I sincerely and genuinely hope that the Expanded Universe has been continued as an alternate/separate timeline from the Disney's Canon, but to do all this it is imperative that Disney itself make an official statement declaring the total removal of TCW from the Legends continuity, because Legends and TCW cannot stay together. They have to stay in two separate universes to avoid contradictions and make TCW fans and Multimedia Project fans able to REALLY enjoy both products without having to worry about contradictions.

2) I honestly believe that Star Wars authors should not delve into the sub-worlds of the Force and its true nature. I believe that viewers must perceive the Force as something mysterious and incomprehensible, as something that can only be seen from the outside without being able to understand the mysteries that surround the mystical field itself. For this reason I have never appreciated the stories about the sub-worlds of the Force (both Legends and Canon), and it is basically for this same reason that I ignore everything that is related to the Gods of Mortis (Fate of the Jedi) and related things.
    Someone might say that the same is true for the midiclorians, but it is not exactly so. The aggregation of the midiclorians to the Star Wars Lore was quite criticized by the purists of the Original Trilogy, but this aggregation itself does not reveal the mysteries of the Force, as the Force remains an incomprehensible and mysterious mystical field. The midiclorians are simply a unit of measurement of an individual’s power, they are the bridge that allows individuals to connect with the Force but they are not the Force itself, which continues to remain something totally incomprehensible to viewers.

3) Although I really appreciate the classic Legends stories about the theft of the Death Star plans, I personally like the Rogue One movie a lot better. I like much more the idea that the Death Star plans were located in one place and that there was only one mission to stole them, The fact that the plans were scattered and that 10,000 missions had to be launched to recover all the parts is fascinating, but in my opinion it is too complicated. In fact I think the Expanded Universe would be much more cohesive and coherent if Rogue One replaced "Death Star" (novel), Dark Forces I, Lethal Alliance and the Toprawa’s Battle story in "Rebel Dawn". But I repeat, as I said before I respect and appreciate also the old stories.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Multi Media Project is much more important to my canon than TCW. A lot of the show can fit into the MMP, but a very large chunk would also need to be removed as not to contradict anything. Ahsoka's existence doesn't mess anything up for example, but she couldn' be Anakin's padawan. IIRC, most of the second half of the show can fit into the post-Dreadnoughts of Rendili slot without too many changes.

Nom von Anor and pellaeon01 like this.
  19. pellaeon01

pellaeon01 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    I'm a big fan of both independently. The way I like to look at it, the multimedia project is what actually happened in the legends continuity, while everything TCW is an alternate history of sorts. (Doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.) In the end both are great, but completely segregating them makes everything that much easier for me personally.

R1 is definitely my favorite out of all the Disney movies. I don't think legends has a hundred plan stealing stories because authors wanted that, I think it was a case of authors/editors not knowing what all was out there, and assuming that they were the first and only one filling in a missing gap in the story. There are a few other examples of this in legends too, the ISB has at least three different stories as to how it was founded for example.

AusStig, SpecForce Trooper and Gamiel like this.
  20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    The Big 3 and movie characters in general, overtstayed their welcome in the old EU. They should have been retired after NJO the latest.

21. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I totally agree, in fact for me after the Dark Nest Trilogy there are directly the Legacy comics. I think the story of these characters should end with a happy ending with the conclusion of the Age of the New Jedi Order. Then there should be the next generation, that is Cade Skywalker and the others we saw in the Legacy comics.

Officially, it’s not like that. According to the official chronology of the Expanded Universe, video games and novels that talk about the theft of the Death Star plans all tell stories that have actually happened, but the plans were not located in a single site but were scattered throughout the Galaxy, and therefore several missions were needed to recover all parts of the plans. So, in video games and in novels, we only steal only a part of the plans, and then the Rebel Alliance put it all together and get the complete plans.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I don’t know how unpopular this is but legacy got a lot worse after broken and all the pt Jedi showing up.

JediAvatar, Gamiel and Anedon like this.
  23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I sometimes honestly feel Yoda and Obi Wan should have been the only PT Jedi who make it to 0 ABY.

24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    This is pretty much my default position of the Jedi Purge.

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  25. Darth Gravid had a potential to be one of the best EU characters deserved a book

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
    AusStig likes this.