main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Both Yub Nub and the original Jabba's Palace musical number were awful, and the new versions are a great improvement. The CGI Sy Snootles is better than the original stiff puppet. Jedi Rocks also has some lovely backing singers.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I find the uncritical valourisation of Anakin's blue saber in the Sequel trilogy uncomfortable. It's portrayed as a holy relic, it calls out to Rey, and seemingly awakens the force in her, and flys to her at the end. It's an unambiguous 'Sword in the Stone' style parallel.

But actually looking back at what the saber portrayed as in previous films, leads to this feeling at odds. In ROTS, it's the saber that cuts off Dooku's head, that's used to enact the Jedi purge, to murder the Younglings, to massacre the Separatist leaders, and battle Obi-Wan, who basically steals it from the burning remains of his once-friend. In ANH, he presents it to Luke, lying all the way. In ESB, Luke loses it to Vader, right before to revelation about his Father. The Saber in this case can be emblematic of all the lies Ben told to Luke, his beliefs about his father, which are cut off with his arm and cast into the pit. By ROTJ, he's moved past it, constructing his own lightsaber, and isn't burdened by the lies and murders of the past.

In TFA's, it's a holy relic that Rey is given to show her link to the Jedi. In the rest of the Saga, it's a murder's weapon and a cover over a tissue of lies.

The only film in which it was presented in positive light was ANH.

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Some unpopular ST opinions:
    • I don't like Rey
    • TFA was better than TLJ
    • Soundtrack for TFA was actually quite good
    • Wasn't a fan of the "forceback" scene in TFA

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I find it genuinely funny in retrospect that the film is ultimately about learning from one's failures but the only ones who learn anything are Poe and Finn. With Poe, it's "blindly follow your superiors even when they keep things from you inexplicably" and with Finn, it's "don't sacrifice yourself for the greater good and don't take chances because love will save us in the end". What makes this even funnier is the fact that Holdo sacrifices herself and takes the entirety of the First Order's fleet with her in the process. Also, it's really odd seeing Rose make a big deal about her sister's sacrifice to the Resistance when she practically doomed the Resistance by stopping Finn from destroying the laser. Kind of makes her one of the most annoying characters in the movie.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    TLJ is the best so far of all the Star Wars movies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven't said "best since Empire" since after seeing AOTC for the first time.

7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I’ve never said “best since empire”

:p

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

That's the spirit. A corollary to my post is that ESB isn't quite the gold standard it was for me 16 years ago. So if I absolutely love Han Solo or an RJ trilogy installment it will be "best since AOTC."

9. Gembo

Gembo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2017
    I've came to believe that Kylo Ren is the best Sith of all the Star Wars movies

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I get what you mean on that. Ever since seeing the scene where she touches the Lightsaber in TFA I've always thought that she could also sense the evil it had been used for with her "I'm never touching that thing again line". No wonder Kylo wanted it so much.

Sarge likes this.
  11. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    Not really an opinion on the quality of the films or the current or future state of the franchise, but:

I really wish Yum! Brands and Pepsi returned to do movie tie ins again for the releases of Episodes II and III like they did for Episode I. I thought it was super cool that every Phantom Menace character was on a Pepsi or Mountain Dew can back in 1999 and seeing characters on KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell boxes was awesome. I have very fond memories of everyone going to KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell just to collect all the Episode I toys that came with the meals. Those fast food toys were a huge part of my childhood and remind me of the good old Late 90's when blockbusters like The Phantom Menace were treated as huge events.

I think releasing Episode II so soon after Spider-Man and doing no fast food tie ins for the film really hurt the box office of the movie and the Burger King tie-in for Episode III was lame.

12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Rogue one is the only good disney star wars film made so far.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm not sure it's an unpopular opinion.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It is here.

15. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I loved TFA but absolutely hated TLJ. I would love to know how the fans who love TLJ felt about TFA, as maybe mine isn't an unpopular opinion then.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  16. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    Episodes I and II are the bread and butter of Star Wars.

17. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rey is a boring and completely uninteresting character. Daisy Ridley is not believable in action scenes because of her thin frame. TLJ has a very sloppy script that is riddled with plot holes.

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    TLJ is my favorite Star Wars movie. I've already seen it four and a half times (the half was because it was late and I was a lot more tired than I thought I would be, so I had to leave halfway through)

I liked TFA better than any of the Lucas movies, but it is my least favorite of the non-Lucas directed movies, mainly because it doesn't have a lot of heft to it. And that's fine, because I never expect much heft from an introductory chapter to a trilogy.

19. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The best piece of music from the Disney era Star Wars is It's Over Now from end of the Rebels episode Twilight of the Apprentice.

Hypatia likes this.
  20. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    All three Disney released SW movies absolutely destroy the three prequels in musical score, story, character arcs, casting, acting, direction, special effects, visuals, ideas, and enjoyment.

One of my friends had an issue with Holdo saying "Godspeed" (complaining their is no 'god' or religion in the SW universe). Hmmmm. Jedi = religion, and the atrociously awful Phantom Menace introduced us to the fact that Anakin Skywalker was immaculately conceived!

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I thought of this too for a few minutes. But there's no "hell", and that didn't stop characters from using that. I think since Han used it a lot, old EU said that Corellian mythology had an underworld called hell or something? I dunno. Current EU will probably explain how this came to be a thing lol

Also, on that tangent - not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I'll post it anyways

Lemme say I love TFA and TLJ. But the sudden abundance of expletives feels a little odd to me. Just to be edgy. I mean, SW has had "damn" and "hell" before a few times. But in TFA, it felt forced and TLJ is just going overboard. Of course, that's probably the soccer mom in me. I also think the blood and how characters get dirty is a bit too reminiscent of the cookie cutter action movies Hollywood churns out on a regular basis, the whole "gritty" look and all that. Don't really like that much[/QUOTE]

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [/QUOTE]
    The Gods were mentioned TPM.

Dandelo likes this.
  23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Ewoks would disagree with your friend. As would C-3PO.

different cultures in SW will have their own religions. It would be silly if they didn't.

Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The Gods were mentioned TPM.[/QUOTE]
    Gods, plural. It's hardly surprising that races in SW would have a polytheistic belief. However, the phrase "godspeed" is a contraction of the phrase "God speed you", referring to the Juedo-Christian God

I can understand how it'd feel a little out of place in SW

DBPirate likes this.