main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Battle droids are cooler than stormtroopers.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker > Palpatine/Darth Sidious > Count Dooku > Nute Gunray > General Grievous > Tarkin > Jabba > Jango Fett > Darth Maul > Stormtroopers (Empire/FO) > Boba Fett > Hux > Kylo Ren > Snoke.

wobbits and Deliveranze like this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That looks like one big math theorem. :p

4. Rogue One is better movie than all the Prequels

Avnar, The Deuteragonist and Sarge like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not sure that opinion is unpopular.

(And I sort of agree with it.)

6. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    The world does not need another Star Wars movie set before ANH.

Also, I'll never get the hype behind Darth Plagueis. Dude was mentioned in one scene of one movie, yet there's this giant desire to see more of him. It's not even like he has an interesting design, he looks just like San Hill with a red saber.

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'll go further and say the world doesn't need Star Wars. :p
    SW is not the best thing nor is it the worst thing ever. They're enjoyable movies on their own but I don't take them too seriously because at the end of the day it's still just fiction and I'm sure to some they are more than that but that has always been my philosophy for any fictional stories out there.

8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    OK, this is going to be VERY unpopular. Vader being Luke's father (just to name one much talked-about topic) never impressed me that much. I was about 15, and just couldn't be very interested in family relations and conflicts. The saga, at least OT, to ME was really all about spaceships, blasters, lightsabers etc., you know, basically just the foreground stuff. Even to this day, I'm really not all that into the philosophical, moral, good/evil side of SW. I don't know if that makes me shallow, but here it is. Sorry, George, you really told an interesting story, but what I see on the screen to me meant more than your hidden meanings and moral lessons. I mean, I do like a good story and drama, but I just don't see all that much moral guidance or symbolism in SW. I don't want to offend anyone, but I always (well, maybe not really literally always, but mostly) found the visuals, special effects, designs, music, technology etc. more appealing than the philosophical talk. Oh well, I'll probably get banned from this forum for this....
    To be fair though, this standpoint is mostly about the OT, and changed somewhat with the PT. I do appreciate the political background, but the good/evil conflict never really was my thing.

BlackRanger likes this.
  9. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    • Solo is the only good Star Wars movie Disney has released, which is strange because...
    • Han Solo isn’t a very interesting character to me.
    • I couldn’t care less who shot first. Every version of the scene is fine with me and I don’t think it alters Han’s character in any way whatsoever
    • I wouldn’t mind if Tatooine were in every movie
    • I like both times Darth Vader says Nooooooooo
    • Most of the changes Lucas made to the films were vast improvements
    • The original version of ANH is nearly unwatchable (and the final version is one of my favorite films in the saga. I enjoy the original and final versions of ROTJ equally for different reasons, and the final version of TESB has a slight edge over the original due to the presence of Ian McDiarmid)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  10. I do not think it's a good idea to make a movie or series of the Old Republic

I like the mystery of the Origins of the Jedi and the Sith and the confict of them
    If someday they make a movie or series of the Old Republic I would like it to be like the comics of Tales of The Jedi where everything was more primitive and with less technology

I would not like them to exactly copy the SWTOR cinematic trailers since I do not like the exaggeration of the technology and the powers of the characters in that game

They do not seem credible to me
    And I do not feel that they are part of the same universe of the movies.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  11. Vizzy91

Vizzy91 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2018
    • Captain Fordo > any Clone Trooper ever
    • JAT portrayal as Obi-Wan = best version of Obi-Wan
    • Ventress = best female character in Star Wars
    • Rian Johnson > Dave Filoni
    I don't really think there IRL, but just some opinions to start up the discussion

12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I can't stand Tales of the Jedi's aesthetics.
    There's a lot of good things one can say about Star Wars, but I think the look of the films are what have kept the series popular to this day. I wouldn't have bought copious ammounts of toys and LEGOs if Star Wars didn't look beautiful.
    I think TotJ just looks plain ugly. There's probably a place in Star Wars for stories that lack the traditional aesthetics, but TotJ really doesn't do it for me.

Sarge likes this.
  13. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I didn't like them when I was younger either. However, they've grown on me since, especially since theyr'e so different to the standard "look" of SW.

14. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Any more unpopular opinions we can discuss?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TLJ is my favorite SW film of all time

/thread

But seriously, it is.

16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Right?! And it totally would have been in character for Palpatine to lie about him existing in the first place. I mean the story is too perfect to convert Anakin

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  17. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018

18. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    I guess Plagueis was another character EU could expand on and make him interesting

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I guess my unpopular opinion( and who knows I seem to recall posting it somewhere on the boards) is that 'Star Wars' needs an EU to explain literally everything without leaving anything to the imagination of the audience

20. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Is that a good thing or not?

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It depends. I think it leads to too much gatekeeping in the Star Wars fandom. I also think that film is the best medium to tell Star Wars stories

22. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    I can see that. But you should admit content outside movies kept Star Wars alive even when movies were not in production.

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I agree with almost everything heh. Rogue One is even better than Solo for me but I agree with all the rest.

On topic, the midichlorians are a fantastic idea, and it does not change anything about the Force as it was presented in the OT, or the magic of it.

Immortiss, eko32eko7, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  24. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    I found someone who likes the changes to the OT films. Is this a miracle?

25. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    When I was a kid I watched the OT on VHS. I’m not sure why as a kid I would even care but can remember grimacing whenever the special effects looked bad. I was very nitpicky about certain shots or scenes. When the special editions came out they looked so much better that I didn’t nitpick any more. I think the biggest beefs with the special editions were ANH Jabba and also the ROTJ music sequence. The original ANH Jabba did look bad and new one is acceptable. I admit I like the original music sequence for ROTJ and would have been ok with just a Sny Snootles update.

Also I’m not sure if this opinion is really unpopular or not but I think I would have like Solo a lot better if the main character wasn’t actually Han Solo. If it were about some random smuggler I think I’d like it more.