main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

:p

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    what happens to him?

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    He’s an outcast again, ridiculed by both Gungans and humans.

However, Naboo children do find him amusing, and he takes a young war refugee as his clowning partner.

“Weesa making whole galaxy smile.”

Still not a fan of his overall character, but that hit me in the feels.

@christophero30

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Jar Jar Binks becomes a wandering conjuror and trickster. Interesting.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    christophero30 likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    AOTC should've been rated PG-13.

Anakin and Obi-Wan is the best SW duo.

6. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Anakin as FG in ROTJ SE was a good choice.Its how he was the last time he was a Jedi.

7. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't love The Last Jedi, but it didn't kill Star Wars.

8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Nothing could kill Star Wars, not even TFA managed that. Still, for me personally the saga ended with ROTJ. Nothing Disney can do could ruin the original two Lucas trilogies. They can make all the changes they want, but at least for those of us who still remember, the originals will always be there, if not as physical medium then at least in memory. Thankfully nowadays we have the means to preserve the version we like digitally, as we can make an infinite number of copies and backups, so no matter what Disney does, we can, as long as we have them, watch our preferred version.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think RO did a good job of maintaining the original aesthetic of ANH while bringing something new to the table. Even the music was new but somehow similar. I like TFA but it did seem to be ANH 2.0. Not sure this is an unpopular opinion.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    wobbits, Sarge, PCCViking and 3 others like this.
  10. Master Jos-Ra

Master Jos-Ra Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2019
    TPM Darth Maul was nothing impressive from a lightsaber-skill perspective. I doubt he could defeat AOTC Obi-Wan, and I think Anakin from that same time period could have given him a run for his money.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  11. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Han was made a tragic hero by The Force Awakens, his arc paralleling Luke’s as well as ROTS Obi-Wan.

12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Obi-Han

13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Additionally, I enjoy the old EU's so-called Denningverse (post Yuuzhan Vong Legends)

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Movie/TCW Grievous is a better character than micro-series Grievous.

Micro-series Grievous is an overpowered Terminator wannabe who was entertaining for a short while but quickly would have grown old. If he was as unstoppable in the movie and TV series as he was in the micro-series, he would have upstaged every other villain, including Palpatine himself. As a character, he's as two-dimensional as the series he starred in. He's a one-and-done gimmick.

Movie/TCW Grievous, on the other hand, is full of personality and extremely versatile. He can be scary, funny, loathsome, or oddly lovable in his quixotic quest to exterminate the Jedi. He's a unique villain in that he's a legitimate threat but at the same time likes to cheat and fight dirty. His backstory as a person who was rejected from the Jedi Order and so gradually rebuilt himself as a robot to compensate, until there was almost nothing of his original self left, is a disturbing and fitting one; it reminds me of those plastic surgery addicts with body dysmorphia who end up tragically disfiguring themselves in the process of striving for an unattainable beauty. There's all kinds of dimensions and layers to this version of Grievous.

I think the main reason micro-series Grievous is so popular is because he's "badass," and movie/TCW Grievous was doomed to be looked down upon simply because he isn't as "badass." But that's a very simplistic metric with which to evaluate characters.

15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Hayden Christensen might be the nicest SW celebrity.

With every right to turn on the fandom, I appreciate that he never talked down about SW or George. It also seems like George and Hayden were the closest of the main PT cast.

16. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I actually think General Grievous is pretty cool in both iterations for the reasons you mentioned.

Also, this whole thing of measuring characters on how "badass" they are plagues a lot of the franchise. I've seen that happen in other fanbases too like in GOT, the MCU, the LOTR, Avatar, and Harry Potter. It's kind of annoying.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well yeah, I also liked micro-series Grievous for what he was. He was very well done. But he could never have worked in the role of secondary baddie that he needed to be for Episode III. And the mustache-twirling Grievous that was established in Episode III is, in my opinion, a character with more long-term charm. And it's precisely because he has flaws like arrogance, vanity, cowardice, and a penchant for unsportsmanlike behavior that he is so charming. It never fails to put a smile on my face when Grievous proudly throws back his head and starts maniacally wheeze-laughing after pulling off a particularly underhanded trick. There honestly aren't enough villains like him these days.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, no, your read of that comparison is absolutely wrong. Legends Grievous is as popular as he is because not only was he an actual threat and existed during an iteration of the Clone Wars where the CIS was actually portrayed as a formidable faction but he was also just a far more interesting character. Remember, it's not just the microseries TCW was replacing, it was everything about the Clone Wars made prior to it.

As for that whole "Grievous upstaging every villain" statement, I'll just leave this here:

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really enjoyed HC's portrayal of Anakin in AOTC's...just needed a couple of scenes redone and a couple scratched! :cool:

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't know anything about "Legends" Grievous and I wasn't talking about him. I was referring to discussions where it is specifically the micro-series Grievous that is being compared to TCW/movie Grievous. There are many such discussions, as micro-series Grievous had a significantly greater audience penetration than the Grievous who appeared in the licensed print fiction.

I also don't understand what that video is supposed to prove. In that scene, Grievous has been obviously powered down from his first appearance so that he doesn't upstage Dooku. It makes no sense for a guy who managed to fight seven Jedi at once and not only survive but win decisively to somehow struggle against Count Dooku alone. Count Dooku isn't that good. This is exactly my point.

21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    There are several episodes and arcs in The Clone Wars and Rebels series that contain much better writing and character development than anything in the ST.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Grievous achieved a decisive victory because he had worn them down and sufficiently broken their morale prior to the duel. That said, what that scene shows is that he was crafted into what he is martially by Dooku and if you actually listened to what Dooku was telling him in that scene, you'd recognize that. I'm saying that there is a class of warrior that Grievous would go up against and be left wanting. Grievous was not powered down. Dooku is just that good.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think Lando's Falcon is my favorite iteration.

24. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Even if the SE's and beyond make more sense in the context of the entire saga, I still choose the OOT to watch, and I sometimes wish all the Star Wars films looked as "dated" as the OT.

I'm mostly fine with them as they are, though, but I love the old-school feel of the 77-83 production era.

I guess overall what I wish we had was films that looked more consistent with one another, old or new.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Even with that excuse, I still don't buy a non-Force-sensitive cyborg taking on five Jedi Masters simultaneously and defeating them. There's no way to excuse that as anything other than Grievous being massively overpowered. And if Grievous really was that good, there's no way Dooku alone would be able to give him trouble. No, sorry, Dooku isn't that good. This is literally getting into Darth Sidious territory in terms of power levels. But this is unsurprising, because this is the same series where Mace Windu defeated an entire army of battle droids with his bare hands. Like I said, fun to watch, but not to be taken at all seriously when it comes to telling actual stories consistent with the established Star Wars universe. And it's the kind of thing that would get old fast. Hence the "micro" part of "micro-series."

And I did actually listen to what Dooku was saying in the scene, thank you. It was a tortured attempt by the micro-series creators to reconcile their overpowered, Jedi-stomping badass with the cheating, mustache-twirling coward envisioned by Lucas. The truth is, Grievous was trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku. But he's still not a Jedi, and he can never be a Jedi, no matter how much of his body he replaces with machine parts. So he has to stack the odds unfairly in his favor and fight dirty. That's how he got all those lightsabers. It wasn't by being better than the Jedi he killed. It was by being less honorable.

This is perfectly in keeping with the Star Wars series' theme of the fundamental weakness of technology. Darth Vader's abilities are diminished by his mechanical parts, not enhanced. The same goes for Grievous.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Chromide likes this.