main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Yeah the design and feel of Rogue One was pretty good and consistent with the originals. The prequels look too advanced and cartoony.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Doing a good job regurgitating a tired and inaccurate meme there, buddy.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Why don't you spend your time in a thread called "Unpopular Star Wars opinions" and try and change peoples minds! :rolleyes: Have fun!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You're the guy waltzing into the Unpopular Star Wars Opinions thread and blurting out one of the most ubiquitous opinions about that trilogy in the mainstream consciousness as if it actually carries any profound meaning anymore.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    *Edit. Don't care enough to reply

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean I've got to agree that @Avnar 's opinion is unpopular.

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I like the PT. I like the OT. I like the ST. It's when I try and watch them as a series that they fall apart [face_peace] Watched as three sets of movies I think they are all great.

seeker_two and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. starkiller1980

starkiller1980 Jedi Knight

Jul 12, 2010
    SOLO is the best SW film since Disney took over.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The Resistance Bomber Pilot's helmets in TLJ are better than any of the previous Rebel/Resistance designs! They are great. They remind me of WW2 pilots :cool:

10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Not unpopular bro, I agree.

Avnar likes this.
  11. DarthBray

DarthBray Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2019
    I have two that are veeeery unpopular.
    I don't like the Millennium Falcon. At all. I know it's beloved by everyone but I just find it "weird".
    I also don't like the Main Title music. I believe that the Star Wars music have the best movie scores ever, but I find the main title music too much "bombastic", for some reason. I actually think it works very well in the context of opening the movies and accompanying the title scroll, but I don't like to listen to it outside of the movies, while I listen to pretty much any other music tracks from the movies very often.

12. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    She's weird, but she's got it where it counts.

13. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm getting sick of pirates in Star Wars. They're everywhere, overhyped, overplayed, and over done.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  14. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    As does Ms. Gardner [face_hypnotized]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Maul should've stayed dead and not been brought back for Solo or for the Clone Wars. The idea of someone who is clearly portrayed as being dead surviving being sliced in half was ludicrous to me.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can relate. I like the Falcon in the OT, but I don't think it should've been featured so heavily in the ST. And I don't think it should've appeared at all in an initial Solo film.

DarthBray likes this.
  17. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Couldnt agree more.
    This was the reason I ignored the Clone Wars series for many years.
    Qui Gon Jinn is one of my favorite characters and I always felt his death and Obi Wans hard win against Maul in TPM was meanigless, because of the revival.

18. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Well-said. The bolded is a major sticking point for me.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah, I really liked how Obi-Wan was the first Jedi in a thousand years to kill a Sith. It really gave Obi-Wan something even more badass to his name when we see him in ANH.

I guess that title now goes to Anakin for killing Dooku? Maybe there is something poetic about Anakin killing the first Sith and the last (tho with Episode 9 probably not anymore), but I prefer if Maul died in I.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But Obi-Wan did win. Just like when he fought Vader on Mustafar, he beat them and left them both for dead. That they happen to survive despite their injuries doesn't deny Obi-Wan's victory over them. It would take away from his victories if, say, he did nothing once he was made aware of their survival. But he did do something, on both occasions. Of course, we will never know how Maul was originally meant to be defeated, but that's a different issue.

One thing it does take away is closure within the movies. But that's easily achieved by ignoring TCW altogether. At the end of the day, the series is an appendix to the six movies.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    mranakinfan has never seen an episode of TCW. When we saw Solo, he thought it took place prior to TPM due to the Maul appearance.

I didn’t like the Maul resurrection either.

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Deliveranze Yeah, I thought that it was awesome to see Obi-Wan be the first Jedi in a thousand years to kill a Sith. To me, that really cemented that he was coming into his own as a Jedi and warrior at the end of TPM and was part of what made the climax of TPM really cool for me. I could see there being something poetic about Anakin killing the first and last Sith in Star Wars at least as of now. If TROS takes that away from Anakin, I guess he and Obi-Wan can just commiserate as Force Ghosts about how it feels to have all their victories taken away from them. :p

@Alexrd I agree that Obi-Wan still did win the fight against Maul in TPM but to me Maul surviving despite the fact that he is clearly portrayed as being dead in the film does diminish Obi-Wan's victory. I think almost any rational audience member viewing TPM when it came out would've concluded Maul was dead since he got cut in half, fell down a pit, everyone in the movie referred to him as dead, and nothing in the film suggested he had survived. I was eight when I first saw TPM and I understood Maul had died because to me the film could not have made it any more obvious. To me, that's also what makes it different from Anakin/Vader's survival in ROTS. In ROTS, we clearly see how Anakin/Vader survives through the Dark Side powers of Darth Sidious and the advanced medical care of a galaxy far, far away, so I think most rational audience members come away with the impression that Anakin/Vader is alive as long as he lives out the rest of his (un)natural life in his life support suit.

Basically, to me, I felt like in TPM Obi-Wan had been given a victory over Maul where he killed Maul only to have that victory diminished by subsequent Star Wars materials. That disappoints me and I still don't see a compelling narrative reason for that inconsistency. I get Maul was a cool character. My brother liked to paint his face like Maul and swing a double-bladed red lightsaber around when he was six after TPM came out, but even my six-year-old brother could accept the character had died despite the character's coolness.

@anakinfansince1983 I understand why your husband thought Solo took place before TPM because of Maul's presence. I think Maul's presence could be confusing to any audience members who didn't know about Maul's return in the Clone Wars. The second time I saw Solo in theaters, I went with my mom, who I think of as a good example of a casual or general audience fan since she enjoys the movies but doesn't rewatch them over and over or seek out supplementary material. She looked at the screen in confusion at the end and asked me as we left the theater, "Didn't that guy die at the end of TPM?" I just told her that yes, he had. I wasn't going to give a convoluted explanation for his presence in the film if Disney didn't bother to include it and I wasn't going to tell her that she had misinterpreted the obvious in TPM.

Deliveranze likes this.
  23. Internets

Internets Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2008
    That's easy - it's because there weren't any.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Chromide, Alexrd and ezekiel22x like this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what I meant. The fact that Vader survived the chopping and burning (probably thanks to his immersion in the dark side) until he got medical help from Sidious is as unnatural as Maul surviving his bissection (and Maul was at least as immersed in the dark side as Vader). Of course, we know how Vader long term survival worked. That's not my argument.

Maul was indeed dead (and meant to be dead) as far as the movies were concerned. The fact that Maul was brought back in TCW was an opportunity that Lucas took when he was presented with a chance to tell more stories. Still, his fate was meant to be closed in TCW as well (Lucas made it a point to start ending story threads and characters that don't appear in ROTS ever since season 5), so his survival would have been taken care of within the show and leave the movies virtually unnafected. Sadly, that's not what happened since the show never got its intended ending. And with Disney, they've decided leave such a major character, specially an ex-Sith Lord, survive past ROTS.

DBPirate likes this.
  25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Alexrd The fact that Anakin/Vader does survive chopping and burning might be as unnatural as Maul surviving his bisection but to me it does make a big difference when one is presented as dead in a film and that other isn't. Maul is presented as dead in TPM, while to me Anakin/Vader is never presented as dead in ROTS. So, to me, Maul's story becomes a resurrection one even if it is one in which we are supposed to believe that he never died, and in general I'm not a fan of resurrection arcs as I find that it cheapens death in stories and overall lowers the stakes for me as an audience member. It also almost the door to bringing back any character from the dead for flimsy reasons, so to me it invites sloppy storytelling.

I do have less of a problem with Maul's return in the Clone Wars since it was something that could be largely ignored by fans who didn't want to acknowledge it and didn't impact the main movies. However, it did open the door that Solo ended up walking through for Maul to be dumped into a main film without explanation for a general audience who may not even be familiar with Maul's return in the Clone Wars. If Maul hadn't been brought back in the Clone Wars, I doubt we go from having Maul dead at the end of TPM to having him make a random appearance at the end of Solo. To me, Maul's random appearance at the end of Solo weakens both TPM and Solo for me since I felt Solo would have been stronger leaving Dryden's scary boss an unknown menace.

Emperor Ferus and Sarge like this.