main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree. But like I said, that was not the intention when his character was brought back. It was meant to be dealt with within TCW.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Fair enough.

Either way, there's really not much I can do about it now except post my opinions on an Unpopular Star Wars Opinions thread.:p

Alexrd likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe you should watch it again. There are many characters, and they definitely have motivations. They are portrayed with more subtlety than is typical in SW films, but they are there if you look for them.

4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I like the Canto Bight section from TLJ. It rhymes perfectly with Geonosis from AOTC and Cloud City from TESB.

5. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I always thought it rhymed perfectly with Rainbow Brite [face_clown]

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Benicio Dele Toro is one of the best (if not THE best) actors around, but his character in TLJ is Jar Jar levels of bad! That voice :oops:It still mystifies me that RJ had access to one of the best actors of this generation and he...gave him that part?? Unbelievable...

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think this thread makes much sense if people aren't allowed to at least have brief, contained discussions about some of the unpopular opinions being posted. Otherwise it's basically just a bunch of people whispering into a box and walking away.

I agree that any discussions should try to rise beyond snarky, one-line dismissals.

Emperor Ferus and Avnar like this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, fair point...

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Coming from probably the most outspoken lover of TLJ on these forums...you have a point.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Even though I still think he’s a joke of a character, I would rather have a Jar Jar appearance in TROS than a sappy Rey and Kylo reconciliation.

11. elsaberdeltodo

elsaberdeltodo Jedi Padawan

Oct 3, 2019
    @Alexrd

I’m sorry, But, what you said about Maul’s fate being meant to be closed in The Clone Wars, That’s not quite true. Or should I quote Luke from The Last Jedi and say “Amazing. Everything you just said was wrong.” I believe you’re trying to stretch the truth, Especially since this TCW featurette you are talking about () only was about The Maul/Death Watch arc and says George wanted to kill off “the characters that weren’t in the movies”. That doesn’t mean he meant ALL of them. Sure, you could say Ventress and Talzin’s death in Dark Disciple and Son of Dathomir along with the apparent death of Cad Bane and, allegedly, Aurra Sing in the Cad Bane/Boba Fett arc may make you claim otherwise, but, that doesn’t mean he had favorite characters like Hondo Ohnaka that he would want to spare. And, Maul would probably fit that category. Also, there’s this little interview with Sam Witwer that you keep choosing to ignore saying that Filoni was told by Lucas, which he told Sam, that Darth Maul survives The Clone Wars series, which is at timemark 12:58: https://thewookieegunner.com/2017/04/06/geeky-bubble-episode-75-sam-witwer-interview/. Now, You would probably question Sam’s knowledge and validity on that. But, I can tell YOU that HE knows more about what ACTUALLY went down in The Clone Wars series than you do, especially since unlike you, he actually is close to Filoni AND George. And, if you ever heard him talk about the original plans for The Walking Dead series, then you would probably know he’s not lying about what he’s saying since he doesn’t mind ruffling feathers of corporate Hollywood if he thinks they’ve compromised the story, which in the case of the final season of The Clone Wars that will be on Disney+ in February, Disney DID NOT do. So, I’m not gonna waste my time arguing with you. I’m just gonna say this, please tone down the misinformation and falsehood spreading because of your contempt with Disney, or I’ll have to take this up with the higher-ups on these forums to have you looked into for falsehood spreading. Oh, I’m El Saber Del Toro, by the way. It’s nice to meet you. Apologies if I sound harsh and I mean no disrespect, but, have you no decency whatsoever to know fact from fiction?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    1) Mortis arc harmed the 6 episodes saga. Imo the shift into Yin/Yang duo contradicts the way Force was outlined in the movies. It actually makes no sense and honestly i refuse to believe that George himself created/approved that concept. Yes, he was inspired by monks and east asian religions, but Yin/Yang specifically wasnt the mechanic the Force was built upon.
    Id believe it only if George himself will say "Yep, Mortis arc was my idea". Then i would like him to explain how Yin/Yang fits the Force concept from 6 episodes.

2) TCW Anakin didnt make me appreciate movie Anakin more, while i appreciate Hayden's Anakin from AotC/RotS. They are different characters. Cartoon, while being really good, is still a cartoon, made for kids in particular. Because of that in some ways TCW Anakin was dumbed down and became less refined and nuanced in comparison to movie version of the character.
    Also yes, TCW showed Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship more, but i think that kind of friendhip doesnt fit Obi-Wan/Anakin relationships from the movie. Their friendship in the movie was really pull and push style, nuanced and full of tension. TCW in my opinion, while made them look like "brothers", took away that tension and edge i think George intentionally strived for. I dont like this change.
    Both these points didnt make Anakin's fall to the Dark Side more dramatic. Watching ROTS i simply cant add TCW Anakin's story and characterization to Hyden's Anakin. This didnt work for me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Mr El Saber del Poro more of the attacking style so you also attacked Alexrd whose been on the boards longer than you. Wonderful!

But, I can tell YOU that HE knows more about what ACTUALLY went down in The Clone Wars series than you do, especially since unlike you, he actually is close to Filoni AND George. And, if you ever heard him talk about the original plans for The Walking Dead series, then you would probably know he’s not lying about what he’s saying since he doesn’t mind ruffling feathers of corporate Hollywood if he thinks they’ve compromised the story, which in the case of the final season of The Clone Wars that will be on Disney+ in February, Disney DID NOT do. So, I’m not gonna waste my time arguing with you. I’m just gonna say this, please tone down the misinformation and falsehood spreading because of your contempt with Disney, or I’ll have to take this up with the higher-ups on these forums to have you looked into for falsehood spreading. Oh, I’m El Saber Del Toro, by the way. It’s nice to meet you. Apologies if I sound harsh and I mean no disrespect, but, have you no decency whatsoever to know fact from fiction.

How do you know? You don't anything about plans and we all know that CW is on Disney plus no need to tell anybody that well all know.

Chromide and Alexrd like this.
  14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    1) Rian Johnson *WILL make a new SW trilogy.

2) Rian Johnson *WILL NOT make a new SW trilogy.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He's done it before with other accounts, not just here but elsewhere online. It's entertaining though.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is the Unpopular Opinions thread, not the “Tell other people their opinions are wrong” thread. Doing so defies the definition of the term “opinion.”

Play nicely in here or don’t play at all. Let people have their opinions in peace, whether you think they are owed the gift of your Superior Knowledge or not.

@Bazinga'd @cubman987

17. elsaberdeltodo

Oct 3, 2019
    Bye then.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
  18. elsaberdeltodo

Oct 3, 2019
    Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Dave Filoni says it was Lucas's idea--just like almost every TCW story starting with Season 2--and that Lucas was in fact more heavily involved in its story that he was in most episodes. According to him, all the most important stuff came directly from Lucas. You're obviously welcome to your opinion about the arc's quality, but you're essentially accusing Filoni of being a massive liar, based on no evidence.

As requested, here are some Lucas quotes where he explains how the yin/yang concept fits into the story of Star Wars:

“Ben will explain to Luke that he will gather all these powers, but he can’t use them for evil or he will succumb to the dark side of the Force. If you use it for evil, it will start using you. It is a force for good, but the more you become addicted to it, the more it controls you and the side that controls you is the bad side. The side that you can control is the good side. The good side is a passive side and the bad side is an aggressive side. Two sides to the Force: One is aggressive, one is passive in relationship to things.” (In one of his notes, Lucas wrote, “The mood of a warrior calls at once for control and abandon; the Force commands you and obeys you—unity of opposites.”)
    -- George Lucas, The Empire Strikes Back story conference, 1977, quoted by J.W. Rinzler in The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

"The Force has two sides. It is not an inherently malevolent or a benevolent thing. It has a bad side to it, involving hate and fear, and it has a good side, involving love, charity, fairness and hope." -- George Lucas, Time magazine interview, 1980

"The idea of positive and negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film." -- George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, 1997

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil." -- George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything." -- George Lucas, Time magazine article, 2002

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."
    --
    George Lucas, Los Angeles Times interview, 2002

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Emperor Ferus and Alexrd like this.
  20. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I wonder where Lucas nicked that nifty "at once for control and abandon" phrase from.

21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I don't understand the lukewarm reception for Dawn of the Jedi. I have never been able to maintain a conversation about that series with other fans for very long. Legacy Vol. I seems to have more interest.

22. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    That series has a lot of visual motifs taken from the 1974 rough draft. It's a bit like looking into the sun, I suppose.

23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    What series? Which post?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  24. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
  25. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Are you referring to Dawn of the Jedi? @BlackRanger