main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    Not a big 2008 Clone Wars fan.. I do love the 2003-2005 Clone Wars series though.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Dunno if this is unpopular or not...I kinda like it all... Apart from the strange anakin cow balancing in aotc of course!!

3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I was always under the impression that the point of the arc isn't that there should be a yin/yang balance to the Force but that the Father was mistaken in that belief. He mistakenly allowed his Son to grow in power but his mistake (as I think he even points out in the episodes) almost ends up costing the Galaxy everything. The episodes state that the Son didn't fall to the Dark Side until very recently so this wasn't always an issue. The Father was mistaken in believing that balance is a 50/50 light and dark thing when it's supposed to be mostly Light. It was also upon the death of the Son that balance was restored to Mortis, mirroring how the destruction of the Sith would bring Balance to the universe.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    GL should have made a ST before the PT.

IgnusDei, Sarge and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    In terms of logistics that makes a lot of sense. I suspect the idea of making the PT before the ST is more of a literary one than anything else: a grand Saga that starts "in medias res" with the OT, flashes back in time to reveal the backstory, and then goes forward to the grand finale. At any rate the idea dates from back around the time of filming ESB, when Lucas thought he'd make all the SW films in one go.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    For some reason that idea had never occurred to me, but hearing it now, it sounds intriguing and makes sense somehow. At least the big three would have surely gotten screen time together and had satisfying conclusions to their story arcs.

7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The most overrated character in Star Wars for me is Thrawn. I liked the EU version but the new canon one to me has got totally repetitive. Thought the new Zahn trilogy got continually worse and not excited for the newly announced trilogy at all.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Balance is restored when the Son is killed because the Daughter is already dead. The Son and Daughter balanced each other out. Take away the Daughter, and you're only left with the Son, which tilts the balance in favor of the dark side. Thus, the only way to restore balance is to get rid of the Son as well, restoring things to net-zero.

Lucas's words on the matter couldn't be more clear. There's dark side and a light side, and they both need to be there to balance each other out. He's explicit that it's a yin/yang thing.

9. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes the dark side will always be there but it's not supposed to be a 50/50 split like the Father thought, that was his mistake which allowed the Son to grow strong enough to throw Mortis out of balance.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm not sure what this means. If it's a 50/50 split then there is no imbalance by definition, so I don't see how that could have been the Father's mistake.

11. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the Dark Side is to be avoided so it shouldn't even gotten to such a point that it was 50/50 the Light Side is meant to be dominant

Sarge likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think there is a lot of misconception due to the loaded meaning of the word 'balance'. Light and Dark are opposites and a constant. Everyone has the potential for good and evil. This complementary duality is undeniable and in that sense, the Force can be represented by the yin and yang symbolism. By doing good and rejecting doing evil, one is balanced. By rejecting doing evil and rejecting doing good, one is not balanced. Evil is selfish and greedy, it consumes and takes over (and thus breaks the balance). One ceases to be in control and becomes a slave to one's volatile emotions, impetus and urges, and those end up affecting everyone else around. But not acting on the dark side doesn't mean the dark side is not a reality. It's part of the Force and it will always be there.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Dark and Light are not opposites. Light is something: energy, particles, waves, photons. Darkness is nothing. It is the absence of light, and nothing at all in and of itself. Dark and Light are opposed, but not opposite.
    Good and evil are the same way. Good strives for things that are, well, good, things like happiness and prosperity. Evil offers the exact same rewards, but tries to achieve them in immoral ways. All evil can do is twist what is good, it can not offer anything original. They are opposed, but not opposite, and they are far too different to be mirror images or yin and yang.

14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Very well said

Sarge likes this.
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but that's clearly not what Lucas thinks, so any media he creates obviously isn't going to reflect that notion.

Beyond that, I've created a new thread to discuss this topic (which is an interesting and oft-debated one) further.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...d-yang-and-the-balance-of-the-force.50052246/

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Best Star Wars trailer/TV spot

17. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Home One is the "ugliest" Mon Cal ship in canon. It lacks a distinct silhouette and often looks like a messy assortment of random blobs, whereas the Liberty, MC75 and MC85 all look considerably more elegant. Home One is by no means ugly, it's just that all the other Mon Cal cruisers are that much more ravishing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Chromide likes this.
  18. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Thats amazing for sure, but omg they used to give away the whole movie in a one minute tv spot lol. Glad Disney doesn't do that anymore.

19. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Seems kind of pointless to hide the plot of the film everyone was waiting for tbh. The whole point of ROTS's marketing was that we were gonna see the Republic become an Empire and Anakin become Vader.

20. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah thats probably a good point. I still would have left the Vader (suit) scenes for the movie though. The action was good enough in the trailers.

21. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Unpopular opinion - i love they weren't afraid of giving off the entire plot of the movie. It spoke of confidence and no visible attempts to create hype out of nothing. They proudly show spectacle and drama right in the teaser, telling:
    "We aren't trying to fool you just to take your money. We want to tell you the story. Look at how epic this **** is. Look at how good it is. Come and see more".

Compare to that, the "let suck people dry with no info and then show them the trailer with no actually plot at best or deceiving plot bits at worst" behavior current SW marketing team stuck to looks annoying.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    DBPirate, xezene, Mark Pierre and 7 others like this.
  22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I can see that. Vader's suit was pretty heavily marketed too from what I remember in posters, so I'm personally ok with the final shot hammering it home. For someone not super familiar with the films, seeing the final shot of Vader in 22 years is a great way to draw someone into the origin story of the most iconic cinematic villain.

Never thought of it like that. That's a good way of looking at it. Its very confident in its operatic and epic tone. I love the cut from Padme looking out the window to the big battle of Coruscant with Anakin's Betrayal as the music. The final shot of Vader gives the audience a good sense of what this story is, arguably the most anticipated story in SW, and it is letting you know this is the one.

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'd rather see a spin-off about Diego Luna's character from The Terminal

Harbour likes this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    To be fair to TLJ they didn't exactly deceive anyone with what was going to happen.

KyleKartan likes this.
  25. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    The set of movies about the origins of Jedi and Sith is the bad idea and the mystery of their foundation should stay mystery forever since there are thousands people with different expectations and head canons, and shown reality will never be satisfying.
    Its absolutely better to leave this matter to fans imagination.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Lord Sith Harloxzz and Sarge like this.