main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'd maybe keep one of the ROTS proto-rebellion scenes, if only so that Bail Organa can have a bit more introduction before he becomes such a major player halfway through. Plus giving Padme a little more agency would be nice.

But having all three would be too much diversion from the main plot I feel, same with some of the Naboo deleted scenes from AOTC. Yes it's nice seeing Padme's family as a bonus, but it slows the pace too much and changes the feel of two people isolated in a beautiful place if they take ages seeing other people first.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Making Padme into something other than Anakin’s love interest in that movie are why those scenes needed to stay. I don’t know if that opinion is unpopular or not.

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Imo Lucas should have re-wrote the scenes then included the arc for Padme.
    And a longer film in general.

They were a little basic in the form we got on the dvd bonus disc.
    I often watch them when I watch ROTS, but besides "confronting the Chancellor" I thought the scenes could benefit from a little more pep or passion. They seem a little too... calm? I guess.

That scene though;
    Anakin eerily at Palpatine's side, and the foreboding red sky. Padme and Palpatine's passive-aggressive exchange, Palpatine's blatant lie about the Governors having no effect on the Senate (something contradicted in the next film when he disbands the Senate and gives the Regional Governors control) and Padme knowing Anakin knows she isn't being heard signified by her glance at him. This scene should have been in.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    CampOfSorgan and Deliveranze like this.
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    At that point, even without the scenes, it was already the longest Star Wars movie to that point. Yes, it's a real sacrifice, and Lucas even talks about how hard a decision it was to make, but it needed to be done for the good of the whole movie. Pacing and length are important, and if something has to go, it's going to be the political subplot that doesn't directly involve the main character.

Mark Pierre and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree with anakinfan that Padme's political representation needed more representation in ROTS. We only really get a hint of it when she says the iconic "So this how liberty dies" line.

That being said, I dont think ROTS gets enough credit for the character development Padme has (even if her character arc isn't very defined beyond the mother of Luke and Leia). In ROTS, we do get Padme's perspective on the Clone Wars and Palpatine. We also know Padme's plan for a post-Clone War future, living on Naboo. I also like how there are subtle aspects of her caring for Obi-Wan even after Anakin says the Jedi are traitors and how when Obi-Wan comes to her apartment, she is willing to listen to him despite his status as a war criminal. These scenes might not do a lot for Padme in a active role sense, but they certainly gave me more insight into who she is as a character compared to, say, Rey from the ST, or even Leia in the ST.

One small detail I do like is when Padme acknowledges that a baby will change things and Anakin doesn't cut her off when she is talking about how the baby will affect HER life.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Bodhi from RO is underrated.

He's admittedly a fairly simple character that get's little development but I like how he's portrayed as an every man cargo pilot who isn't even an experienced combatant like everyone else yet still help's the rest of the rebel crew in beaming the plans to Tantive IV in a major way. The character show's you can achieve heroics feats even if you are an average Joe with no force powers or in the Skywalker family tree.

7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Solo is the best Disney Star Wars film.

8. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    In regards to the deleted political scenes in ROTS, I think way things are is perfect.
    They were cut from the final movie so we can focus on Anakin and his fall to the dark side. It feels more unified and beautiful without the extra clutter.
    At the same time, those scenes are still available for fans to watch and enjoy. My favorite is also the confrontation scene between the Delegation and Palpatine. I love the contrast between how Palpatine treats Padme and the other guy who went with her (sorry don't know his name). With Padme, Palpatine smiles and tries to speak politely to her so that Anakin doesn't get offended (but of course Palpatine pretends that he doesn't know Anakin's relationship with her). With the other person, Palpatine rudely cuts him off mid-sentence, too lazy to even pretend to be nice for an extra minute.

9. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I wonder if we'll see any of the deleted scenes from RotS resurface in the new TCW episodes...

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I don't think Anakin should have had a Padawan. To me, it contradicts a lot about his character that was established before 2008. I dont mind the idea of Anakin having a Padawan to have him grow and mature, but TCW shows Anakin was already mature before Ahsoka came into the picture.

Also, I think TCW doesnt do a great job of showing Anakin's disillusionment. It always feels forced with the Imperial March in the background and out of character with his angry outbursts. He spends the first 3 seasons wavering about how great the Jedi are until the Obi-Wan undercover arc. Then has a meltdown out of nowhere as if that is the first time Anakin has felt distrust from the Council. Anakin seems to get angrier as Season 4 and 5 progress, but the show never seems to explore why other than the timeline getting closer to ROTS. The Ahsoka on the run does a better job of highlighting Anakin's disillusionment, but the impact of that arc is taken away now that Anakin literally sees her like 2 days before ROTS leading the Republic on Mandalore.

11. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I agree with the bolded and it's what took me so long to break down and watch TCW. The council didn't trust him but I am supposed to believe they overlooked his recklessness and arrogance and wanted him to train a padawan? In the middle of a war? Then we're back to ROTS and Mace still doesn't trust him? After all he did during the war?

For me, Ahsoka was just annoying. I can watch AOTC and ROTS and not feel like she affected Anakin one iota. TCW is a fun thing to waste a Saturday afternoon on but I have no vested interest. I felt like it ignored stuff in the films, didn't match up with character portrayals and existed as medium for Filoni's pet character who surprise surprise has survived every single show/conflict/etc in the timeline.

12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Agree with bold too. Have ya ever looked into the Dark Horse comics or the CW multimedia project material? In retrospect, I appreciate how much those authors kept Anakin's personality and essence intact while showing Anakin's journey from AOTC to ROTS.

Ahsoka was always a weird addition imo. She is definitely more tolerable in late S3 onward, but I never really thought she added much to the PT3's stories.

13. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Chewie should have been shown eating porgs and enjoying it.

(OK OK I'm kidding. Sort of. No really, no really I am kidding. Or am I?)

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He's humbled after the events of AOTC and becomes a little less reckless and immature. The reason Yoda gives Anakin a Padwan is to try to help him grow past his flaws even more--and it works, until Ahsoka is taken away from him.

The reason Mace doesn't trust Anakin in ROTS is because of the wedge that is increasingly driven between Anakin and the Council over the course of TCW, which culminates with the Council's role in pushing Ahsoka out of the Order.

I don't see what's so nonsensical about it, personally. I never got into the old multimedia project too much, so I don't really know how Anakin was portrayed in it, but to me the Anakin in TCW seems like a reasonable midpoint between Episode II Anakin and Episode III Anakin.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Coruscant is not an interesting setting.

16. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think this is unpopular, but I did not consider Rey drawing Luke’s lightsaber to herself during the snow forest fight in The Force Awakens to be surprising or profound in any way whatsoever. We already knew from previous scenes that she was strong in the Force. I do not understand the praise of that moment at all.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  17. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I love the fact that Anakin is mercurial in the PT. The amiable Anakin of TCW is bland in comparison.

18. Jedi Knight Bane

Jedi Knight Bane Jedi Master star 1

Feb 21, 2014
    The EU needed to be wiped clean and probably should have been a lot sooner than Disney did.

jaimestarr likes this.
  19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I like the earlier design/model of Vader's or other super star destroyers better than the final version in the movies. I find those overly huge engines that were apparently added later to be somehow out of proportion to the rest of the ship. TIE's have efficient engines as well, but they are relatively tiny. The DS has hyperdrive engines, but you never really see those. I would have preferred SSDs to have multiple but somewhat smaller engines. I couldn't find the original picture but it's in the first edition of The Art of TESB. I don't have a logical explanation why that version would be technically better, I just like it better visually.

20. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The first 10-15 minutes of each OT film are way too slow, with pointless scenes.

Deliveranze and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    THE PHANTOM MENACE is the best Prequel Episode.
    (Thanks to Qui-gon, the Podrace and the final "duel" against Darth Maul.)

CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    :eek:
    Wow.... even ANH? I think that has one of the best openings in movie history. Well...[face_dunno]

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  23. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    The Battle of Exegol is the worst battle of the entire franchise.

24. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Prequels unpopular opinions:

- The CGI looked well-integrated. Much more than other well-regarded films that never get flak for too much CGI e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy.
    - Far from being boring, the politics were engaging and interesting. I mean, come on, it's a Sith lord gaining taking over the galaxy!
    - Yoda fighting with a lightsaber was awesome and was not out of character.
    - The shinier and less worn look of the PT was appropriate given its setting of a Republic at its decadence.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I can't speak for the above poster but I think I understand what they're getting at. Lots of people have commented on how it takes an unusually long time before we're introduced to our main character, and some stuff in the first 15 minutes could've been easily been trimmed or streamlined. For instance, why is there a subplot where the droids squabble and go their separate ways, only to be both captured by Jawas and be reunited? Trimming that would've gotten us to our hero faster.