main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Good choice. I didn't even remember she was in Solo but she was a standout performer as Eponine in the recent Les Mis series.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    "Do you hear the Rebels sing? Singing the songs of angry droids..."

;)

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmm that would make an excellent seperate thread. "Star Wars version of Les Miserables Songs and Lyrics" [face_thinking]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and PCCViking like this.
  4. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I could definitely picture Palpatine singing his part of "One Day More." :p

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The series I referred to was not a musical.

6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I know, but I've only seen the musical...well, the theatrical version of the musical.

7. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I don't know how "unpopular" of an opinion this is, but the whole "Palpatine was the main villain of the first six movies!" was a pretty poor justification in hindsight for his return in TROS.

wobbits, Sarge and Starith like this.
  8. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I don't think the OT 3 should have named any of their kids after their parents/ friends, in any canon.

9. Emperor McClane

Emperor McClane Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2019
    My unpopular SW opinions:
    I really like TLJ. Directly after I saw it, after seeing E9.
    I don't mind Jar Jar at all.
    RotJ totaly works against the dangers of the dark side, EU stories involving Luke too. It's like well I am angry now, okay I am over it, I am a Jedi. No real struggle, or even a path, as Yoda told before. More like, weil it was a mood swing, Jedi again, all fine. Dark empire is similar in this. Kyp Durron's controlled anger story arc in the EU is also similar. Of course still love RotJ and many things from the old EU, but that always bothered me a little.

Anedon likes this.
  10. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I remain a bit troubled by the decision in the EU to have Leia name a child after Anakin. I appreciate what they were trying to do with that choice, but it still feels to me like a massive stretch when it comes to credible human behavior.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Might have been better if Ben Solo had a son named Anakin after Leia and Ben reconciled in TROS.

12. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Yours is not an unpopular opinion, but I do believe that it's mistaken. As much as I question J.J.'s talent, he isn't wrong when he says that the final chapters in a story should be relevant to the rest. If Palpatine's return was such a problem, then Disney shouldn't have appended an additional three chapters to a story that already saw a conclusion.

Now for my unpopular opinion: I'm glad that Palpatine is now the single most important character in the entire Skywalker Saga.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    If anything, I feel Palpatine's return made the ST less relevant to the other films. The idea that just because Palpatine was the villain of the other films meant he should be the big bad of this one too reeks of a lack of imagination. Having the villains of this trilogy be the reborn Empire was enough to show that Sheev still left a lasting legacy on this trilogy. It's like saying that, because Anakin was the main character of the first six films, he should've been resurrected for these ones.

seeker_two, Sarge and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    I hate the term "Skywalker Saga" for the main films. It unnecessarily inflates the importance of one family out of countless families and makes the universe smaller than it actually is. It's the same reason why I was in the Rey Random camp. If people can only care about a main protagonist in SW if they have some connection to this one bloodline in the series, then how do you expect them to care about stuff like Rouge One, Rebels or The Old Republic while you constantly push this idea that anyone who isn't a member of the Skywalker clan doesn't matter. Ironically this is one of many reasons why I'm curious about periods like the Old Republic or the upcoming High Republic, there's more to SW than the Skwalkers and I hopefully we get more films that tell the stories of other heroes.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, as we now see, the saga could unofficially be called the Palpatine saga as well. ;)

seeker_two and Tython Awakening like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't understand that reaction to the label, myself. All "The Skywalker Saga" means is that it's primarily a story about the Skywalker family, which it always has been. It is definitely not a way of saying that only Skywalkers matter, that they're some kind of GFFA royalties and that any Star Wars story not centered on them is inconsequential. All it says is that this particular story follows that particular family through the generations and puts them front and center in the narrative.
    IOW, it's just stating the obvious.

wobbits, DBPirate, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  18. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    “Skywalker Saga” gives me “Twilight Saga” vibes.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Rise of Skywalker makes absolutely no sense as a title in retrospect

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yeah.... That title has baffled me from the beginning.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  21. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Unpopular opinion: I've actually warmed a bit to the "extra" new cgi effects that Lucas has added to make Mos Eisley more crowded and crazy in ANH (not the Han shot first mess or the Jabba scene, but the extra stuff you see as Obi Wan, Luke, and the droids enter the city).

22. Hiccaries

Hiccaries Jedi Padawan

Sep 19, 2018
    Unpopular Opinion: The Youngling massacre was not funny and never will be. It is undoubtedly one of the most heartwrenching things in the Star Wars Saga especially since I grew quite fond to the clone wars season 5 younglings back in 2012. I am greatly concerned by the vast number of fans who think of it as the funniest **** ever.

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Here is one of mine: All histories that are 1000 years or shorter are a "theoretical deadend." When people grab at power, they try to erase all the fine details of what came before them. This power grab to erase history is occurring with in-universe characters and out-universe with Lucasfilm employees (as we speak).

seeker_two and Emperor Ferus like this.
  24. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    That's meme culture for you.

Tython Awakening, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  25. Hiccaries

Hiccaries Jedi Padawan

Sep 19, 2018
    Like I'm so confused. Did George Lucas intend for that scene to be funny?