main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, they didn't make them Master, did they? And he still didn't reach his full potential in ROTS.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think Anakin falling to the dark side as a Padawan would have been epic, showing he lacked self control, and the Council was right.

3. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I think Anakin falling to the dark side as a Padawan would have been epic, showing he lacked self control, and the Council was right.[/QUOTE]
    Not really epic since it would've made him a priori both less powerful and experienced than Obi-Wan. As it is, the duel can go either way: Anakin is more powerful (especially with the Dark Side) but also arrogant but Obi-Wan is more experienced/cooler head.

Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Not really epic since it would've made him a priori both less powerful and experienced than Obi-Wan. As it is, the duel can go either way: Anakin is more powerful (especially with the Dark Side) but also arrogant but Obi-Wan is more experienced/cooler head.[/QUOTE]

Anakin being a Padawan would make him more foolhardy in hus duel with Kenobi, and the betrayal would sting even more, because Anakin proves he can’t even become a Jedi Knight before falling to the dark side.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd say it stings more that he betrays them after they've granted him the rank of Knight. He had proven himself worthy... or so they thought. His failure was theirs.

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I understand from TCW Cartoon he was knighted due to slaying Asajj Ventress, what is thd canon knighting of Anakin?

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Actually, Anakin was knighted in Legends due to the Battle of Praesitlyn which is shown in the book "Jedi Trial."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you know the canon reason he was knighted?

9. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    There isn't any I don't think yet. The earliest stories post-AOTC are the IDW Battle Tales comics set before TCW movie, but Anakin is already a Knight.

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    How odd. Well Disney better get a writer and amens this plothole stat.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have no interest in the canon circumstances of Anakin's knighting.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I understood to become a knight, a Jedi must face the dark side:

Luke had to confront Vader.
    Obi-Wan defeated Maul.

A perfect knighting occassion would have been Anakin in ROTS being knighted after destroying Dooku.

13. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I like the mystery surrounding the Jedi Trials. Not everything has to be explained on screen.

14. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I've seen nothing in canon to say why he was knighted, but the only logical explanation I can come up with is that is was out of need on the council's part. They needed knights to be generals and lead the clone army. It most likely wasn't the council's first choice in how to handle Anakin, but they had a need, so he got the nod. It's potentially also why they gave Anakin a padawan. They knew Anakin wasn't ready to be knighted, but had no choice, so after, they gave him Ahsoka in hopes that training her would settle Anakin down.

Whistling Birb likes this.
  15. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    They may just write that he is knighted because of the Battle of Geonosis. I never liked Anakin becoming a Jedi Knight just two months after AOTC anyway. Always felt it robbed the character development seen in the multimedia project.

Though, I probably wouldn't go the route the EU did by having him knighted 2 years into the war, but given that the multimedia project was working in real time in the 3 year gap between AOTC and ROTS (and the writers of the stories probably didn't find out Anakin was gonna be a Jedi Knight in Episode 3 till 2004), I can't necessarily pin that on the EU's fault.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I can deal with him being a Knight a little early but him having a padawan is my least favorite.

afterlight, Sarge and -NaTaLie- like this.
  17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I know right... still don't understand why Lucas allowed it. Now I know he didn't want to micromanage the artists working for him but he did veto certain things (like the deaths of the characters he created). I feel that TCW was in some ways served as a damage control for the prequels: you think Anakin was too whiny and not heroic enough? Fine, let's make him more like Han Solo!

18. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    If the Battle of Atollon was live action it would be considered one of the best on screen battles - its a much better version of the Battle of Hoth

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    And sadly it didn't work. Anakin continued to descend into darkness.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  20. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Considering Anakin had already slaughtered the Tuskens, and pretty much already slid past the point of no return, giving him a padawan was never going to work. Which really points to the levels of ineptitude displayed by the council throughout the prequels. The council is lucky Anakin didn't corrupt and turn Ahsoka, as well. One could argue that making Anakin a knight and giving him a padawan, slowed his full descent into darkness, but at that point, his turn was just a matter of when not if.

21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I’d say that thd Jedi Council giving Anakin a Padawan was to slow his descent and perhaps reverse it. For remember when Anakin slays the Tuskans you hear Qui-Gon, “Anakin! No!” and Yoda says, “Skywalksr is in pain.. terrible pain.” So they seemed to have some awareness of what was going on.

22. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree they had some awareness, but we never see them act upon their suspicions. And when they do, it's already too late.

23. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    For whoever is interested, I have now added a Part 4 to the series of blog posts I linked a few pages back (sorry, couldn’t help myself): https://henrynsilva.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-good-bad-star-wars-final-thoughts.html?m=1

I go into detail about why I thought certain things in TLJ were justified (Luke’s arc, Finn’s arc, the Holdo maneuver, etc.), and also defend some other controversial moments in the franchise that even I don’t like, just for the sake of playing devil’s advocate.

I promise that this is my last starwars blog post for awhile, so I’ll stop spamming this thread with my blog. Thanks.

24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think the Jedi were suprised that Anakin didn’t take serious his commitment, “A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he waa doing.” (Yoda, ESB). Anakin said, yes I am committed, but he wasn’t, he tried to have a secret wife and family.

25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I never felt like the prequels needed damage control and don't really care for TCW all that much. For me it's like watching a completely different character in a different version because Lucas allowed them to give him a padawan (I don't even particularly like Ahsoka on her own). I can't connect this Anakin at all to the films, it's like Anakin pretending to be Han Solo as you said.