main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Empire Strikes Back is the only timeless movie of the OT films

A New Hope and Return of the Jedi both show there age a bit these days.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. From several different perspectives, too:

From a cultural standpoint: ANH now looks more dated cos of the styles (both in costume and in filming) and whatnot used in the film. IMO ESB and ROTJ don't have this, cos the universe is more established as it's own thing-a style and approach of its own, apart from the culture of the day. Plus the ewoks exemplify a new intention to cater to younger audiences, which was emerging more in those days.

From a picture/sound quality standpoint: ANH does look/sound a bit dated now, almost kind of a noticeable "70's feel" compared to the other two, in terms of how it compares to other films released during its time. Even ROTJ has a decidedly more flashy and colorful "80's movie feel" to it that can now be recognized, if you know what I mean. ESB is the one that still kind of stands out as its own unique thing (especially having seen the new 4K transfers). IMO it is the one OT film that can stand up against any other SW films in the saga in terms of comparing one trilogy to another, visually.

From a special effects standpoint: IMO ESB did a better job integrating the special effects seamlessly into the rest of the film. In ANH they were less advanced as they were just in the pioneering stage for most of them, and in ROTJ it feels like they attempted much more but the technology across the board hadn't caught up yet to accommodate it-so it ends up looking more "obvious" than in ESB (although amazing).

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    In a way, TLJ is the film that most closely resembles the feel of ANH.

4. A New Hope is the best movie ever made in general not only from Star Wars
    no Star Wars will capture the magic from the first movie

5. I believe some people dont like the original 6 movies that much but love the EU and TV Shows more

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I was watching TPM earlier today. And it struck me. If the Padme character had been male, and the Anakin character female, and by the next movie she is completely obsessed with him, they would have to denounce and "cancel" those films using today's standards. Or at the very least, they would have to give warnings about it, the same way they do now with old movies that have outdated racist and sexist depictions.

It's different from Rey and Kylo, because Rey was a grown woman making her own choices in pursuing Kylo. But Anakin was a little boy when he fell in love with Padme. And by the next movie, he can't even be his own man because he is so obsessed with her.

Don't get me wrong. A 5 year age difference either way in a relationship is perfectly fine. But if the genders were reversed in this particular situation, we would in every way describe the Padme character as having groomed the Anakin character to be in a passionate relationship with him in subsequent films. And there would be something wrong with that.

I'm sorry, but there's an aspect to Padme who needs to be judged by today's standards as harshly as a male character would be judged if such a character existed.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    That implies Padme saw Anakin in a romantic way in Episode I.

And she didn't.

And the idea of Padme being too old for Anakin WAS harshly criticized at the height of PT hate. I'm sure there was a thread in the PT about Padme being a sexual predator.

The irony is that Padme and Anakin's gap is the least in comparison to Han/Leia and, depending on how you see the ST, Rey/Kylo and Finn/Rey.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn’t see any romance at all in TPM, they were both too young, and I saw the double standard when AOTC came along—because nobody even notices when a man is five years older than a woman, but a woman being five years older is somehow worth commenting on?

I agree that Rey made her choice, which is why I stopped liking her as a character in TLJ. I like smart, independent characters who don’t tolerate bull****.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't think there was romantic interest from Padme to Anakin at that point. And I didn't mean to say that Anakin fell in love in any adult sense, just that his infatuation with her during his boyhood obviously extended into his adulthood.

But even still, regardless of how badly it may have already been perceived, it still doesn't nearly receive the condemnation it would if the genders were reversed.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Dave Filoni is not only a genious but also shows the potential of ruining Star Wars.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I’m not whether this is unpopular or not, but Katie Lucas wrote some of the best TCW episodes. That woman has talent.

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Not in my opinion. She's great.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ventress was her vision, which makes me love Katie automatically.

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Ventress's story might be the best part of the whole series.

15. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    i agree.

16. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Rewatching the series for "Star Wars week" since it was May 4th and all. I can't believe this happened but for some reason Attack of the Clones just clicked for me -- I now think it's a 5/5 installment in the series. I love the noir feel and how the message of trying to maintain democracy in the face of fascism (something which is reflected in the love story) is done.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s what I love about it as well.

wobbits, DBPirate and Count Yubnub like this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see how that works since obviously in terms of audience reception it's the first movie that is THE one. No matter how monetarily successful the others movies are (and they all are except Solo). I only see that applying in that sense in that without the other two movies around it it's "timelessness" is due to it being suspended because it's a story that has no beginning and no ending. It's in a great position because the introductions and set-up had been done by the previous movie and it doesn't have to worry about having any resolution because the next movie takes care of that.

I'd have to totally disagree on that one. TLJ is the polar opposite of ANH in feel. ANH is totally sincere in being the movie that it wants to be. TLJ is totally insincere in being a Star Wars movie. It's a parody that laughs at Star Wars to it's core. Johnson was obsessed with undermining and subverting everything about Star Wars at it's core while using the style of the saga itself as a trope to do so.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I disagree. I think "Solo" is the closest, in that it's just a fast-paced adventure story, just like "Star Wars" was back in 1977, before things got...complex.

Bee Bee, Force Smuggler and Sarge like this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Attack is my favorite for the same reason. I love the feel of the film, it to me returned to the optimism SW is known for.

21. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    In addition to what others have have already said, I'd like to point out that I explicitly liked how Anakin and Padmé's romance in AOTC defied gender stereotypes. What I mean is that it doesn't end with Padmé being older, she's also the more rational person, she's more reserved, more in control of her emotions, she's also the one making decisions while Anakin is the one who pours his heart out in front of her and is "madly in love" (which, in my opinion and by the way, one of the reasons geek media rejected Anakin so much).

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    wobbits, Mark Pierre, Valiowk and 2 others like this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    In a way, I don't disagree.
    Which is why I wrote "In a way" ;)
    We all perceive movies differently and what I'm talking about is the sort of 70's air that ANH has that no other SW film has... except, in a way, for me, TLJ.
    In a different way, ROTS is the film that most closely resembles the feel of ANH.
    There's also RO, of course.

They all have different ways of resembling ANH.

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Eh, I don't know. There are jokes and insinuations in Solo that... don't exactly give me ANH vibes, despite it being a movie about Han Solo (well, at least that's what the title suggests. Sometimes the film felt like it was more about Han's not-Leia girlfriend...)

Sarge likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    And yet when Padme told Anakin to drop his amore and come back to the “real world,” he did. It is only later in the arena on Geonosis that Padme alters her position and confesses she loves Anakin and is willing to follow amore into any danger. Anakin kept his word to let it go, it was Padme who re-stoked the fires of romance.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  25. Star Wars should ended with Episode 3 not more TV shows novels movies
    it was a perfect ending

HolyKenobi93 likes this.