main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I hope you are right. Dooku is one of my favorite Fallen Jedi turned Sith Lord.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah i think one of the reasons we got so little Dooku content same with Syfo Dias is bevcause they want to explore them more other meida like tv shows both live action and animated. Most of Dooku's story is him as a young teen 11-18 and then we see him as an dult in his mide 20's to 30's 40's and 60's. Master and Appretice shows litte as Qui gon learns under Dooku as young master in his late 20's. I suspect one pf the main jedi in Acolyte would be Dooku as he was Yoda's appreticne who also is likley to appear. I think We are soon to see more pre-TPM stories after the Acolytes first season comes out. and we see more of Dooku.

3. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    A great series would be Dooku and Young Qui-Gon.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yess, and that show could be done after Acolyte, show Acolyte'ss finale with Dooku taking on Qui gon as his apprentice, depending now how Acolyte will move trough the timeline.

5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh Disney, I hope you are reading these words.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah hehe, I think the Acolyte will be one big story and it involves characters like Dooku.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Acolyte is what I am most looking forward to. At last the Saga from a dark side point of view.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And a female dark sider, we havent had since Asajj Ventress and first in live action.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. The scheming, sorcery element is needed in the series after the recent focus on bounty hunting and the like. It will be a very nice change of pace.

Kato Sai likes this.
  10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I really haven't read up much on The Acolyte, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some spotlight for Dooku. Qui-Gon too.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Maybe it's just me, but I really can't stand the way they treat stormtroopers in the new movies and (especially) tv-shows. It's like they took a stupid meme by heart - a meme which had little to do with the actual movies - and thought that this is how things should be.

If you go through the OT, these are basically the encounters with stormtroopers in which something worth of note happens:

ANH
    - Stormtroopers take down the rebels on the Tantive IV
    - (offscreen) killing Jawas
    - Obi Wan uses the force to get them past the patrol
    - stormtroopers try to stop the Falcon from leaving, Han returns fire before running away
    - successful ambush on troopers inside the Falcon (on the Death Star)
    - Obi Wan sneaks around, trying not to be seen, confusing troopers through the force
    - being pinned down near Leia's cell, having to escape through the trash compactor
    - Han charging after troopers, before running away from them
    - running away and escaping through the blastdoor
    - Luke and Leia running away, escaping over the chasm
    - a short firefight after Obi Wan gets killed, before Luke runs into the Falcon

ESB
    - taking the rebel base on Hoth, Han and Leia on the run, though they gun down some troopers with the Falcon
    - they get captured on Bespin
    - Chewie throws away some troopers, before Han calms him down
    - Lando's guards with an ambush on the troopers that caught the troops off-guard
    - after trying to get to Han, they are being chased by stormtroopers, and basically run away from them the entire time

ROTJ
    - short engagement with scout troopers, with an attempt to silence them before they can set off an alarm, mostly one on one fighting or similar
    - get captured by overwhelming force
    - ambush by the Ewoks, who appear with a vast advantage in numbers
    - some kills during the confusion
    - Leia takes down two troopers who couldn't see her gun

Yes, they did kill some troopers here and there, because that's what heroes do when facing some minor henchmen, but overall they never really dared to take them head on. Most of the time they were running away from them, and in the process of defending themselves got in some kills. All successful attacks were ambushes.

Compare that to IG-11 blasting himself through masses of troopers, Mando, Cara and Greef Karga going for a breakout while under siege in chapter 8, Boba Fett (and everyone else) rampaging through troopers in chapter 14, or basically any scene like that involving the Mandalorians. Yes, the Imperial remnant has few good men left, and yada yada yada, but that still doesn't fit. The animated shows are no different. Same with Poe, Finn and Chewie taking down a whole corridor of stormtroopers in TROS, or Jyn, Chirrut and Base taking down entire groups in Rogue One.

There just isn't any thrill left in those scenes anymore, because you know stormtroopers get wiped out like crazy regardless of numbers (unless the story magically requires it to be different for once). It went so bad that they basically had to introduce "better" troopers to even give an appearance of a threat.

You can basically apply the same thing to space combat. It used to be quite the achievement to kill a fighter in combat, now Poe just blasts seven fighter in five seconds, and everyone on the Falcon can just kill TIEs in bunches.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    You have a point. Stormtroopers shot R2, Leia, and dusted Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

Lets make Stormtroopers a menace again.

Riv_Shiel and canuckmuse like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It's to late now they becoem a meme and joke sicne ROTJ, it's why Rogue One makes this elit squad of death troopers or Fallen Order have this elite squad of Purge troopers. In big numbers they are a threath yess, but not if just some few troopers. Mando, Fennec and Boba might quick work of them.

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Although in ROTJ a stormtrooper does shoot Leia:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and canuckmuse like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah and Leia shoots them both with one shoot, and teddy bears take them down, the emperor's most elite troops. The storm troopers have their momments sure, but their are aslo just canon fodder fore heroes to fight like the droids in the prequels.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I blame there helmets:

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, I'd like a film or series with a focus on stormtroopers, or at least a stormtrooper lead. They really botched that opportunity with Finn.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Finn was good in TFA, but got sidelined in TLJ and TROS.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    You definitely get the feeling that Finn was written with bigger things in mind.

afterlight, Sarge, Kato Sai and 2 others like this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    “it’s a feeling.” -Finn, TROS

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Stormtroopers definitely have no menace. Being in huge numbers means nothing, as they will all go down with one shot. The trope has been established now, which is a shame. It has become a one note parody, but I suppose the element is needed to justify how Rebel or Resistance operatives can infiltrate and destroy lairs/ships.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I’ve never liked the “incompetent stormtrooper” trope either, and I too have been disappointed that Disney, in all of its products, starting with Rebels, have embraced it.

I also don’t like the hard differentiation that Disney made between cloned stormtroopers in the PT- and TCW-era, and recruits in the OT-era—I think that takes away from the central narrative of how and why the Republic became an Empire. The OT-era stormtroopers should’ve been a continuation of the clones. Legends did this by having OT-era-stormtroopers be a combination of clones taken from multiple hosts as well as recruits, and I think that worked better. Oh well.

As a side note, I think the stormtrooper design in the ST is really ugly. They look like Apple products. I’m coining iTroopers.

23. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of those black tear stain-looking helmets in the ST. And the only reason I can think for not having clones in the OT era, at least by choice, is that Palpatine thought having volunteer soldiers strengthened the Empire and made it look better, that it better kept up that image of "order and unity". And it's more intimidating psychologically, the idea that this evil Empire doesn't make anyone do its bidding; people willfully sign up to do it.

24. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I never had this feeling. People were always like "Yeah, he is going to be the stormtrooper revolutioner!" or "Yeah, he is going to be the new Jedi Master!" and I was like "Do you really think this?" I always got this character like this character who earlier or later has to take a step aside for the (obvious) true protagonists/antagonists (Rey and Kylo). Not to mention figures like Snoke, Palpatine, Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, C3PO, R2D2, BB8, Maz, Poe, Armitage and filmexclusive ones like DJ, Zorii, D.O. or the Knigths of Ren with whom he had to share his screentime and the epic-content with. His key-characters were Phasma, Rose, Rey, Poe, DJ, a bit of Maz and of course Jannah. His story was basically simple: a man who wanted to run away from everything but "everything" would not have been a brave choice because he had to choose a side and overcome his fear. Meeting Jannah was important for him because he finally met someone who mirrors his life a bit. Just to present this as a grounded story of a man who made this choice as one of many stormtroopers was cool to me. I didn't need the perspective of the guy who is the big star who starts a revolution among stormtroopers. Sometimes smaller is bigger in my opinion. So I found Finn's arc just right.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't know about revolutioner or Jedi Master, but just giving him more focus, giving him an arc and making him a Jedi-in-training like Rey, would've been believable. He was the only character of the New 3 that didn't feel like a slightly tweaked retread of an OT character to me, and so was the most interesting. A minion of the evil Empire abandoning that life and deciding to join the good guys, I haven't seen that before.

But push that aside, we got to keep everything revolved around Reylo.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021