main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Directors shouldn't make movies for fans in general that's the whole point of Scream 5 and how fans have gotten so toxic and self-entitled over the years.

Jediking97 likes this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think it's anyone's place to say who directors should or shouldn't make movies for, or to lump fans all together like that. 'Creative vision' and 'pleasing fans' aren't oil and water. It' doesn't take a brave visionary genius to disrespect and disregard what's been established, or the audience that enjoys it.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think it does because quite frankly sometimes what came before stunk .

4. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, personal taste; not really what I'm talking about. But OK, I'll rephrase:

It doesn't take a brave visionary genius to disrespect and disregard what's been established, or the audience that enjoys it... because some new person comes along and thinks what came before 'stunk'.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Huh but that hasen't really happenned tough.

6. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    This is Star Wars. Past or present, there's plenty of stink to go around.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What does that have to do with what I said?

I haven’t seen Scream 5 nor do I plan to, or Scream 1-4.

If you think fans are being “toxic and self entitled” by not submitting to being made fun of and told that everything we like is “wrong,” you have confused “not tolerating being mocked” with “toxic and self-entitled.” The entitlement here is in being told that we need to become “enlightened” through “subversion” and that we are not allowed to say ‘WTF?’ to that but that we should just be “grateful” for the “enlightenment.”

I’ll pass.

wobbits and christophero30 like this.
  8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Apparently
    the villain of Scream 5 is a crazy fan who hates the latest installment in the Stab movie franchise in-universe.
    Which the film literally makes sure to specify was directed by Rian Johnson.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Right because if we don't like the ST we are crazy toxic fans. Such a tired narrative. Just because you keep saying something doesn't make it true.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Even better—you are a “crazy toxic fan” if you don’t think the ST improves the OT.

wobbits and christophero30 like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hey, that makes me feel like my crazy fan toxicity is being disvalidated! :( I may have to crawl into my safe space until the hurtfulness is expunged from this thread. [face_shame_on_you]

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'll crawl into my safe space until I've seen the new Scream and can no longer be spoiled.

13. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Lucas should have allowed Han to openly acknowledge his mistake in allowing Boba Fett to follow him and discover about his intent to go to Bespin.

14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    TRoS is leagues better and more creative than TFA. JJ got Star Wars much closer to right on his second attempt.

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I think both films are good, but i do prefer TROS.

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Regarding the Han comment, he did try to leave to pay off Jabba at the beginning of ESB before the Empire arrives. Han mentions running into a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, he realizes he is a danger to the rebellion. Han gets sidetracked saving Luke and then Leia. He's clearly not out for himself at this point. Not sure being tracked by Boba Fett was his fault. Vader thinks Luke is on the Falcon. It's not Luke's fault either; it's Vader's.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  17. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    It's a little odd that canon says three years have passed between SW 1977 and ESB if Han hasn't paid off Jabba in all that time.

Back in the day it was even stranger, as marketing materials suggested four years had passed since the first film - there were trading cards that stated Luke's age as 22 and Leia's as 20, based on their ages of 18 and 16 in the published version of the SW 1977 script.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I used to also find it suspect that Obi-Wan's ghost waited 3 years to contact Luke to tell him to go to Dagobah. I suppose TCW resolved that though.

I think the idea is that Han changed his mind on paying off his debts because they ran into a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, and he learned Jabba put a price on his head. So I suppose Han thought he was just going to get away with it?

Sarge likes this.
  19. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    And Leia gave Han the money to pay off Jabba in the first film, so it's not like he didn't have the option of paying him.

Obi-Wan's ghost coming out of nowhere to talk to Luke is probably because Force ghosts weren't even supposed to be a thing, but Lucas had to find a way to get Luke to Dagobah after he made the hasty decision to kill off Obi-Wan during filming of SW 1977. And that in turn led to the question of why Luke's father wasn't a Force ghost also (since that would result in a redundancy of mentors - the Force ghost of Luke's father has a cameo in the Leigh Brackett draft, but Lucas evidently found this unsatisfactory). Which led to Vader and Anakin being combined as characters.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    In a lot of ways it's the most enjoyable ST film, as it feels like the creative mandate was finally just to deliver something epic and fun as opposed to TFA's blatant nostalgia pandering and TLJ's "subversiveness."

21. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. I do think that TLJ is quite epic (epic failure to many, I admit) as well, but not as fun as TRoS. And TFA has some fun, but isn't epic. TRoS is both epic and fun, as you say. It really feels like JJ let loose in many ways, including letting go of his bias against the prequels. Or maybe it was Chris Terrio, who says he was a Star Wars fan, who brought more of a prequel flair to the film. TFA is too rigid and short sighted in its conception of Star Wars for me to really enjoy. TLJ and TRoS have more of the prequels in addition to all the OT callbacks that make for a more balanced representation of Star Wars.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  22. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Maybe it was just the will of the Force, that Obi Wan's spirit appeared when it did.
    If events had transpired in any other way, the outcome may have been vastly different.

Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I think that's exactly it. Like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan exists where there is no future or past. He knows what has to happen and tells Luke what he needs to hear when he needs to hear it.

At the same time, the future is always in motion, because everyone has a will of their own. Perhaps Obi-Wan felt that he had to show himself and give Luke something that would motivate him to stay alive long enough for Han to find and save him.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm sure there's a headcanon / will of the Force explanation for it, and it doesn't down bring the film or the overall story, but... yeah, I do think Obi-Wan waiting all that time to contact Luke is a plot hole. I think ESB should've taken place only months to a year later, and RotJ maybe a few years later.

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Plot holes only exist in people's minds.