main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, I guess if plot exist in people's minds, then sure, the holes do too.

They're still a thing though.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, in your mind. You're in control of them.

3. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Not really. I can't control when writers leave gaps in stories. And I really don't want to get all existential over something as simple as plot holes.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  4. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    How?

I figured he appeared when he did for a few reasons. (fun theories, not adamant head canon)
    -Force Ghosts only have a limited amount of time they can spend in the physical world and/or a limited amount of time before they are eventually absorbed by the Force. So he had to choose his appearance time wisely. (This was a big word on the street back in the day, and I mostly assumed it was canon-ish enough).

-Part of Luke's becoming a Jedi is learning his father is Darth Vader, but he was still not ready for that burden. But once Vader learned Luke was his son and started combing the Galaxy for him, things came to a head and it was time to start his training whether he was ready or not.

-Appearing makes your Force signature sensable to other Force users, so by appearing before Luke he endangers him by tipping off his location. This helps explain why Vader was so certain the Rebels were on Hoth. As if he'd seen a vision of some snowy planet while feeling a somewhat recognizable disturbance in the Force when Obi-Wan appeared to Luke.
    (Dagobah's attributes conceal these things).

And yes, giving him something to keep him alive while Han was looking for him also being a key factor. The fourth prong in this spiel of mine.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's all in our perception. I've never perceived Obi-Wan sending Luke to Yoda three years after ANH as a plot hole and I see no reason to. It doesn't contradict anything. To me, it's obvious that he's decided that now (in TESB) is the time.

That, along with everything else I experience, is what's in my mind.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Luke "needed" to be close to death for Obi-Wan to make contact. (That's pretty much in line with lots of mythology--people descending into Hades (or whatever other place), being almost dead themselves so they can communicate with the spirits or the deceased.) In TCW, Yoda is artificially brought close to death to he can try and communicate with Qui-Gon.
    In TCW it's further explained that Dagobah is very strong in the Force (and "conduit" of the Force, IIRC). So the Force is so strong there that ghosts can indeed contact living people--apparently without them having to be dead. So Luke doesn't need to be half-dead for him to see Obi-Wan.

My interpretation, anyway. :)

8. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I can't remember the details, but was the Death Star capable of unleashing a greater attack than what it did on Jedha at that time yet? I believe it was still in construction?

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Krennic was prepared to unleash the full power, but Tarkin said, "That won't be necessary. The Holy City will suffice for today." And then he only ordered the same fraction of the intensity against Scarif (assuming he only wanted the base destroyed and not the planet so they could rebuild).

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    A well thought out and researched answer. What are you doing in here?

wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Korriban and Dromund Kaas >>> Exegol

12. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Why, thank you! *bows*

Side note: my penultimate sentence should've of course have read "can indeed contact living people--apparently without them having to be near-dead."

christophero30 likes this.
  13. lord_sidious_

Feb 19, 2019
    Thanks for the info, my memory is blurry on this.
    When he ordered the blast on Jedha, was the situation that urgent yet though? Did he know that there were some Rebels at Jedha who were intending to steal the Death Star plans?

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maul should have kept his first set of robotic legs in TCW and onwards. His second set restore him to a more conventional profile, but I adore the unique gait he had with his first set (the Old Wounds design from Talzin). They make him stand out and move a little more distinctly, though I get that it was probably easier to animate a simpler design, and it has a fine story reason.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Dagobah is described as being strong in the Force (it is, after all, full of life), Mortis is what's described as a conduit. But contact with the netherworld is not something that requires being half-dead. Yoda tried that in order to induce himself into a state of deep meditation, because he was trying to figure out if the voice he heard was Qui-Gon's or if it was some sort of Sith manipulation. But Obi-Wan contacted Luke throughout the movies (Death Star, Hoth, Dagobah, Endor), irrespective of where he was. Just like Qui-Gon would contact Yoda (Coruscant, Dagobah) and later Obi-Wan (Tatooine).

One thing that's interesting is that Obi-Wan's ghost becomes more "corporeal" as Luke develops his Force connection and abilities.

wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    And Qui-Gon told Yoda that the near-death induction method was not the way. He'd been communing with him just fine before that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Part of it was a test, the other was to silence any leaks from Jedha about the Death Star. Tarkin didn't want Krennic to get full credit, which is why he "suggested" only a quarter of the power be used to target the city (and part of him probably hoped that any problems would fall on Krennic). Once they saw the destructive potential (even not at full power), Tarkin announced his intentions to seize full control of the Death Star.

lord_sidious_ and Iron_lord like this.
  18. lord_sidious_

Feb 19, 2019
    Hm ok. I do vaguely remember some power conflict between Tarkin and Krennic, and I remember thinking that Krennic never remotely stood a chance anyways because he's so annoying so I don't think Sidious can stand him.
    Krennic acting like a total idiot at every step during the battle at Scarif left me speechless, so I remember that part relatively clearly [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Probably unpopular opinion, but I don't know; IMO, The Mandalorian, The Book for Boba Fett, and probably future followup/spinoff series taking place in the same time period, like (presumably) ones about Bo-Katan or Ahsoka Tano, shouldn't have been given different names. I'd have preferred it if these were all released under one name. That would also make episodes like the last TBoBF episode--which now appears to be a crossover episode--stand out less.

20. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Lawerence of Arabia has indeed influenced Alien and Star Wars too much.

The Darksaber should have been some great Lord of the Sith’s weapon, like Freedon Nadd or Ragnos or even Tulak Hord; not the weapon of a Mando Jedi and scepter of being The Mand’alor. It should be a saber infused with dark side alchemy, energy, and ritual. The Darksaber should be legacy weapon of the Sith, a dark Excalibur.

The Jedi Code.. I have nothing to say about Jedi philosophy anymore, they bore me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I heard you the first time. I should have addressed the bolded part, though. Since this is a public forum, I write for the benefit of anyone who reads my posts, not just those I respond to. I did have to quote you to provide context, but should have clarified that I didn't mean to keep discussing the matter with you specifically.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

People obsess over plot in stories

Characters and Theme > Plot, Lore, etc etc.

Jediking97, Huncrweo and jaimestarr like this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Animation is in many ways a more suitable home for Star Wars than live-action. It allows a greater scope for inventive planet designs, with no disconnect between actors and effects work.

24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I agree with both. It either should not be a thing at all or it should be an ancient Sith weapon rather than something that signifies who rules Mandalore. For me it's too close a lightsaber and if it must exist in universe it should have been part of Sith legend and lore. Man I wish George had ventured into developing their story.

Dandelo, Kato Sai and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    When the Darksaber first emerged I had hoped it was something like The Force Saber from Yavin IV in Jedi Academy: Jedi Knight.