main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi and the Sith cannot do everything with the Force alone, which is why they use Lightsabers.

[​IMG]

You were saying?

Except Diana was trained to use weapons as an Amazon. And some foes cannot be defeated by brute strength alone. Compare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jedi Tony and Vialco like this.
  2. Jedi Tony

Jedi Tony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2022
    @darth-sinister I'm sure you could find examples of anything taking place in the comics, I am just saying that in a general sense characters like Superman and Wonder Woman shouldn't have really have swords as permanent weapons. The emphasis should be on their super strength.

Wonder Woman has become a victim of this. A sword and shield is part of her default makeup now in some versions. In the movie from a few years back she arms herself with a sword and shield even though she's going up against regular bad guy soldiers. Mind you this is a character that has mystical super strength and can deflect bullets. Are we doing Wonder Woman or are we doing Xena Warrior Princess?

With the jedi, and I can only speak for myself here, I think of lightsabers first. I know that jedi can do other things beyond that, and Yoda taught us that there was more to the force, but lightsabers are a jedi's weapon. That is what we are told.

In my opinion, the further away you get from lightsabers, the murkier things become. If they are powerful enough to have a wizards duel, there is literally no need for a lightsaber anymore.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think "Around the survivors, a perimeter create!" is much worse.

Sarge likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yet, as pointed out when Yoda and Dooku fight, they're evenly matched in terms of Force powers. Hence Dooku saying that it has to be done with Lightsabers. That doesn't preclude moments such as Dooku throwing Obi-Wan and Vader doing what he did on mapuzo to Obi-Wan. It's not about just one skill, but using everything in your arsenal.

Same with Wonder Woman, who took what she thought was a weapon meant to kill Ares with her to London. She occasionally used it in the years since and was particularly useful against Doomsday, since Kryptonians can be hurt by magical weapons. Likewise, Superman using weapons against Doomsday...

[​IMG]

Or against the Phantom Zone criminals, is a necessity.

[​IMG]

When faced with an evenly matched opponent, find an advantage.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Most unpopular Star Wars opinion - "Star Wars is good"

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Star Wars doesn't hold a candle to Star Trek.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But it does hold a lightsaber. :p

8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well around the survivors, a perimeter create is pure parody, granted. But at least it makes sense

'not if anything to say about it, I have' isn't really a periodic sentence:

he could be saying 'Not if I have anything to say about it' (which is what he meant)

or

'I have not anything to say about it'

9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The "if" makes that interpretation factually incorrect. He can't reasonably mean anything else than what's intended.

The two worst Yoda lines in the movies are "So certain are you" and "Missed you have I", because they're not intended to be questions. The syntax is wrong. They should go "So certain you are" and "Missed you I have".

10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    well true,

regardless it's still not a periodic sentence though,

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Neither is 'Not if I have anything to say about it,' so I'm not sure what the complaint is.

12. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    the 'complaint' observation was in response to Yoda's speech patterns being inconsistent across the board. A few posts above.

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    For as far as I can tell, your complaint was first about it not making sense, then about the sentence being not periodic. Now it's about consistency?

Yoda's speech patterns have never been consistent, but most typically is follows [rest of sentence], [subject] [verb] (e.g., "a domain of evil, it is"). This particular line adheres to that speech pattern.

14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm not the one who brought up Yoda or his speech patterns in the first place but responded to said posts.

yes...I don't see any of these three things being contradictory.

I would just say complaint is too strong a word. It's not like I lose sleep over Yoda's inconsistent speech patterns.

Anyway, so we can move on:

unpopular opinion:

There is way too much focus on sand planets in recent SW.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  15. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    In my opinion, the moment when Vader completely takes over Anakin is not when Sidious gives him his Sith name, it's not when he wears the armor for the first time, it's not when he kills the younglings, it's not when he burns. No. The moment Vader completely takes over Anakin is the moment he says: "Liar! You’re with him! You brought him here to kill me!". This is the moment when the Dark Side completely blinds Anakin, the moment in which Vader takes over Anakin and prevents him from trusting even the only person he has ever really trusted and loved until then, to the point of choking her and almost kill her. This is the real moment when Anakin died on Mustafar.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  16. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Obi-Wan was the Jedi's greatest failure

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Explain that one.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually, Yoda was.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  21. The original version of Star Wars "The Star Wars" is more interesting that the final product we got

Darth Majestic likes this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Rupert Friend was great as the live-action Grand Inquisitor.

23. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Rupert Friend made the Grand Inquisitor more enjoyable than Jason Isaacs. Isaacs was perfectly solid, but Friend pushed it into full camp, which I appreciated. Somehow I ended up liking the goofy lookin head more as well.

Also, Ezra and Kanan are really lame characters with poorly cast voice actors.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Count Yubnub, Vialco and Sarge like this.
  24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Why is this unpopular?

He is an excellent actor in everything he has appeared. And he was phenomenal as the GI.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    It was my impression many people didn't like him because, they say, he doesn't sufficiently resemble the animated GI from Rebels.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022