main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    There’s probably an interesting twist they can do on typical multiverse stuff with the Force, the balance, etc, instead of the usual sci-fi time travel tropes.

With characters having visions of the future, mind connections across space, Dark Rey, etc, I don’t think having a character seeing a different reality would feel out of place.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    BlackRanger likes this.
  2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would be all for a What If? Star Wars show to show other possible futures, like what would have happened if Anakin died in the Clone Wars, or what if Qui-Gon never died, etc.

But my understanding is that the Marvel What If? stories do exist in their own alternate universe. Like Captain Carter showing up in Multiverse of Madness. I don’t think Star Wars should ever go that route. Such stories should strictly be non canon possibilities that do not exist outside of their own self contained stories, but I do think there’s a treasure trove of potential stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Double post

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SW movies should go back to not having flashback scenes in them, like the original saga.

Sith Lord 2015 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I do think he is often overly unappealingly preachy and strident but, from the contributions of others and/or just the time they were made, Empire and Jedi have a pretty different and really better attitude/philosophy than what he committed to/tried to commit to in the prequels so especially given that earlier ending the overall message is nicely very open to interpretation.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. The Ahsoka Show could do something like that

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you want get someone's attention without quoting them, then use @ and then type in their name.

His willingness to betray them isn't inherent in his character. In fact, Obi-Wan points out in the ROTS novelization that Anakin is loyal to people over principles. It is why he saved Obi-Wan on the Invisible Hand and why he wanted to help the rest of Red Squadron. It is also why he is upset when Ahsoka left the the Jedi Order, and why he takes offense to Obi-Wan's implication that Palpatine was a problem, going all the way back to before the war. The thing is that he has placed his needs above everyone else.

And it is all Palpatine's doing.

Here with Obi-Wan we get a little sense that Anakin has some relationship with Palpatine and that he likes Palpatine. In the last film we set up the fact that Palpatine was gonna watch after Anakin."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"So we have this little picnic where Anakin brings out the uncomfortable subject of previous boyfriends which boys have a tendency to do, and then we get into this political discussion which allows us to get a little insight into Anakin and Palpatine's influence over Anakin and some of his thought process."

"I had all these hints that Palpatine had been helping Anakin. But I needed an explicit scene that actually spelled it out. And where you can see some of Anakin’s dialog later on has come from Palpatine."

"In the original script, there were subtle inferences that there was some kind of relationship between Anakin and Palpatine. There was dialogue where Anakin said he thought Palpatine was a good Chancellor and not like other politicians, so it was obvious that he knew him. But when I saw the first cut of the movie, I realized that we needed to push that point harder. As it was, the inferences were a little bit too subtle. Although the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine doesn't really relate to this movie - it's more important to the next movie - I had to set that up because it was important in the overall arc of the story. So I wrote that little scene to show Palpatine's influence on Anakin and his role as a mentor."

Thirteen years of Palpatine fostering a belief that he's being held back, convincing him that the Jedi don’t trust him and never have, and a desire to prove himself is what pushed him to the dark side.

YODA: "The Council is confident in this decision, Obi-Wan."

MACE WINDU: "The boy has exceptional skills."

OBI-WAN: "But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him...well, arrogant."

OBI-WAN: "You are great warrior, Anakin. But your need to prove yourself is your undoing."

Palpatine has fostered these feelings and gave them the credence that Obi-Wan and the Code forbid. Without these words and guidance from Palpatine, he won't betray them. Nobody is evil. Nobody is born good either. We are who we are because we are the sum total of all our experiences and the people who influence us.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Palpatine is not that interesting a character.

9. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    he was....until fans bigged him up to be this super god where literally everyone else were morons because of how 'great he is'

Palpatine works best as a character who plans things, and when those plans go askew he he keeps calm and works it to his advantage.

Palpatine does not work as this "the whole universe was his play pen, and every character were his puppets because he is just that great/god-like"

J_K_DART, wobbits, Dark Ferus and 4 others like this.
  10. The Kenobi Novel is much better than the Kenobi Show not Inquisitors not Darth Vader just a personal Story of Obi Wan in Tatooine

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I liked that book. And I prefer the title "Kenobi". I do think OWK is an excellent TV series, though.

12. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I really didn't like the PT. The OWK show was supposed to be it's redemption...but somehow ended up even worse :oops:

Sarge likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Clone wars already did that to fans.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    According to whom?
    All I see is a series that was intended to explore the psyches of certain characters in between the trilogies, thereby adding more connective tissue and further expanding the universe.
    Maybe that could be seen as an attempt to redeem the first trilogy by those who don't like it, but that's kind of assuming the brains behind the show didn't like it either. In many ways, it's really a gift to those who are already fans of both trilogies.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Redemption? Redemption according to who?

16. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    Older James Earl Jones sounded fantastic and still very menacing in 'Rogue One' and 'The Rise of Skywalker'.

17. Lucas never wanted to do a Sequel Trilogy he only planned a Sequel Trilogy to make the Purchase Deal more attractive to Disney the problem is that Lucas thought they were going to consult him or that he would direct those Movies i honestly wish Disney never made a Sequel Trilogy they would have made something like High Republic or Old Republic Era Movies from the beginning better

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2023
  18. Luke has the personality of Padme and Leia has the personality of Anakin i wish Padme was blonde in the Prequels since that way she would look more like Luke Anakin was only blonde in Episode 1 and later he had brown Hair like Leia

The true protagonist of Star Wars is Luke Skywalker not Anakin Skywalker or Darth Vader Vader is a Villain and his Story serves as an example to make Luke Victory more important Luke should have always restored the Jedi Order and done what Anakin never could thats why for me the Disney Sequels are not part of my Headcanon because i think they did not continue Luke story very well

Anakin Turn to the Dark Side too Easy in Episode 3 its hard to believe its the same Anakin from TCW Show he joins Palpatine so naturally in that Movie even Yoda doesnt feel so surprised also i dont like how Padme participate in Clone Wars battles as we see in TCW Show Padme is scared and worried for Anakin in Episode 3 because she thought he had not survived i honestly dont think that Padme participated much in the Clone Wars outside of Episode 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin is the main character because we follow him from the age of nine until his death at forty six. Luke isn't alive until the last seven minutes of the film. He's the main character of the OT, just as Rey is the ST.

Anakin's turn is hinted at in TCW with how he acts around Rush Clovis, when Padme's infected with the Blue Shadow Virus and his moments of anger. But once his visions start, he begins to change due to the last time he had them with Shmi. Yoda's reaction stems from seeing him kill Dooku as he did in his vision on Moraband. Which combined with his emotional state, gave him reason to believe.

Padme, on the other hand hasn't seen Anakin since he left for the Outer Rim. That lack of contact, combined with her pregnancy and her hormones results in her concerns for his safety.

20. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I agree on this.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Lack of punctuation is a pathway to many texts, some considered to be unreadable.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's not an unpopular opinion.

wobbits, Deliveranze, Tia and 5 others like this.
  23. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I like that Luke's lightsaber looks more white (though white-blue) in ANH and more blue (solid blue) in TESB, inconsistent but far from jarring and they both fit with the general mood.

BlackRanger and Watcherwithin like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked that Padme participated in the Clone Wars as opposed to just sitting around emoting.

Also, when Anakin punched Rush Clovis, I wasn’t sure whether to assume he was turning to the Dark Side or hope he got a medal ceremony.

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That's when Anakin was at his all-time most stupid.