main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untitled J.J. Abrams Production (1-18-08) (aka Cloverfield)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I liked it, but I don't think I'm going to see it again.

2. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I must say, I was actually impressed that the flick turned out to be as good as it did. I was really worried that it was gonna be overshadowed by hype, but it delivered the goods.

I didn't even have issues with the camera work. And the Monster was actually cool-looking. But what I really loved was the fact that nothing is explained. No origins of the beast, No answers are given to the questions of "why" and "how", the events just unfold. That, I think, was the most realistic aspect of the whole film. In most movies, even if the characters don't all know what's going on, the audience usually does. This movie treats the audience just like it treats its characters.

And to way in on the who's hottest issue... I'd have to go with Lilly, Marlena being a close 2nd. The other chick just wasn't my type...

D_M_S_L

3. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I ******* adored the scene where the Army launched a full scale ground assault against the monster.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I loved every scene with the monster! They kept the angles on it brief, inviting our curiosity, and revealing a little bit more each time until the helicopter scene, when you get to see it in all its horrific glory! Truly awesome.

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    One thing is for sure. JJ Abrams definitely made Cloverfield just about as myterious and intriguing as Lost.

6. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Ah , but what if this is happening to civiliazation while theyre on the island?

7. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    You just took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe our questions will be answered via LOST.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "We shouldn't have left!"

9. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    The Lost Island probably caused this mess...

10. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Maybe the creature was from the LOST island.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [image=http://www.criticalgamers.com/archives/pictures/Lost.SmokeMonster.9.26.06.jpg] = [image=http://www.theloungemagazine.com/page16/files/page16_blog_entry50_2.jpg] ?

12. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Somehow I think if the two came face to face, the Lost smoke monster would have no problems taking care of the Cloverfield monster.

13. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    The movie was fairly entertaining, after the first 15 minutes. They did a good job with the monster. However, I do have a few beefs.

I know what modern military firepower can do. There is no way the monster could have stood up to all that conventional firepower. It doesn't matter it's 400 feet tall and has very thick skin/shell structure. And....no way it could have lived thru the tactical nukes. They said that they were gonna have to 'flatten Manhatten'. Well. I fure they'd need a 20 kiloton device....about the same as what was dropped on Hiroshima. The creature would have been vaporized.

However....it's 'only a movie'....and the producer/director wants to keep the monster 'alive' for another sequel or two. It's about the dollars....always the dollars.

Oh....one more thing....there was a survivor from the main group. Lily. She was on the first Marine chopper that left before Rob & Beth. From what I saw, that chopper made it out. And---she is the hottest chick of the bunch !!

14. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I've never been sure if she survived or not. Seconds after her chopper took off, a flaming hunk of something about the same size came crashing down. I had figured that it was the chopper and they didn't make it. But in retrospect none of the characters had any sort of reaction, so maybe that wasn't ment to be the helicopter...

15. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    The flaming thing was a Hummer.

You can see the smoking wrekage of another copter on a roof during the bombing scene. That doesn't mean it was Lil's though. There were lots of aircraft in the area. I think she got away.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    it was a helicopter crashing, but I couldn't tell if it was the one Lily was on her not- and the aforementioned lack of reaction seems to indicate it wasn't.

17. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I've seen it three times in the theater, and have the link to a certain video.... it's a ground vehicle... not a helicopter. Helicopters don't have off road tires.

18. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    i saw it yesterday here in the UK. thought it was good for what it was. i suffer some severe motion sickness so i was a bit wobbly throughout the film, thus i may have just missed it but can someone tell me if this shot from the trailer was left out of the film?
    [image=http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/cloverfield/clover-batch3-6.jpg]
    -doodie

19. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I saw it on Saturday here in the UK and it was Brilliant, I was blown away by the movie I like the beginning it settles you in and makes you sit back and relax then the **** hits the fan and then your off on a great ride, I?d like to see it again but time is an issue because the next three weekends here in the UK, National Treasure is out then Jumper and then Rambo so hopefully I might catch it after them.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Might have been on one of the TV feeds Hud sees.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Or maybe from when they're trying to cross the bridge. Doesn't he zoom in on the statue?

22. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    It's got a helicopter spotlighting it in that shot.

23. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    saw it again today (i work in a cinema = free films) and i can safely say that that shot isnt in the film.
    not exactly a life changing statement but i feel good about it all the same!
    -doodie

24. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    here is a pic of the hasbro toy of the monster

25. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    ^I thought the monster walked on its knuckles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.