main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Update Private Messages -- Waste of Time or Helpful Convenience? A Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Layren, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

We were discussing in the Fanfic Pet Peeve thread about the fact that it's become common practice now to send private messages when an author updates. It wasn't always this way and I think it would be an interesting discussion to see everyone's thoughts on the matter as everyone seemed to have a different opinion on the matter, I thought it warranted it's own thread as lazy suggested, rather than derailing the pet peeve thread. Just a few questions here to start off the discussion :)

Do you as an author like sending them out?

If you don't send them out, why not?

How do you feel about giving them to lurkers?

Do you expect replies whenever someone requests one?

What about unopened pm's, how do you deal with those?

Why do you as a reader like receiving them?

How helpful are they in really keeping track of stories?

Edited for spelling :oops:

2. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    1. I don't mind sending them out. I like knowing who has read my story and is interested in it enough to want to keep reading it.

2. N/A

3. Since everyone who recieves a PM comments, I can't really say. But I have the feeling that I'd prefer the person who recieves it to reply.

4. Yes, I'd have to say I do. I think that if I take the time and trouble (for some reason, every time I send more than one PM in a row, my web browser gives me problems) to make PMs, I'd appreciate one. It wouldn't matter how detailed- even a "Nice job!" or something is fine, just to let me know they've read it.

5. All my PMs are opened. I don't even know what an unopened one looks like on my side of things.

6. I like recieving PMs because I find it very hard to keep track of WIPs. I don't have the time to search through the board to find the stories I'm reading, so recieving PMs lets me get to the stories I want to read. Sometimes, I don't even have the time to read the stories at the moment, so just having them in my "inbox" lets me know to schedule time for later to sit and read.

7. They do help. Since I'm not on the PM list for that many stories, I find it easy enough to remember what I'm reading. If I don't, I usually just have to read the previous post to remember. Furthermore, if there is no regular posting schedule, it's nice to recieve a notice when it's updated so I don't have to constantly look for and wonder about it.

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Ooh, nice topic! :D

I don't exactly LIKE sending pms because it can take awhile to go through and send a bunch, but I've found ways to make the process go much quicker. Plus I know it's very important for my readers to get pms, so it really doesn't bother me too much.

N/A

I will still send them pms regardless because I feel it's a service I'm doing to all my readers, lurkers included.

I think at first I expect that I would get replies anytime I sent out pms, but I've learned to never expect anything. I do like getting the requests though because that means that my story is serving it's purpose and that my readers don't want to be out of the loop when I update.

It took me a little while realize the whole can't send more than 5 unopened pm thing, but now I won't send another pm to a reader unless they've opened the previous one.

I have a busy life and I know that I will miss things, and so I love getting pms as a reminder.

I think they are a wonderful way of keeping up with great stories.

4. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Oh cool, thanks for starting this thread up:)

Yes, because I feel that, for the person taking the time to read my story, the least I can do is take 15 seconds to send them a PM

I do send them out, so, no answer

Fine. Like I mentioned above, they are taking the time to read, even if they don't leave feedback

No, I just am pleasently surprised if they do

Here's when this matter bugs me: If thay can't even take the time to open it, then it annoys me. After three, I quit.

Helps me to keep up with the story, and not fall behind.

Like I said above, extremely helpful to me. Otherwise, I usually don't catch the update.

5. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Do you as an author like sending them out? If you don't send them out, why not?
    Frankly, I don't like sending them out - as the system is not designed to handle the sending of multiple PM's at a single time. I don't mind the concept of it - it's just the execution of it which sucks. That said, I still send them out because I like getting them.

I'm fine with it.

No I don't.

Well, there's a limit of five per user, and then the system starts kicking them back at you. After that, I stop sending them until that user re-requests pm's.

because I have a sieve-like memory.

Very, very helpful!

6. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay for a new thread!

I LOVE it when an author sends out a PM. [face_love] I can't keep up with half the things going on in my life, let alone fanfiction as much as I want to. I love authors who take the time out of their busy day to do such a thing. My heroes.

Because I have a busy day. :p It might sound like a lame excuse - but fanfiction is a hobby for me, something I manage to sneak in, and sending out PM's would make it into more of a task. I wish I had the time to send them out, because I think it's a really nice thing to do, but what have you.

I'm not popular enough to get lurkers. :p

I'd like replies but don't expect them

Never happened to me

Because they help me keep track! I'm trying to keep up with a lot of stories right now in their spare moments I have, so getting a PM reminding me they've written is wonderful. I have one of the worst memories of anybody I know, so often the bits and pieces of fics will clash in my mind and build this insidious mold... thing of stories. Apparently I'm getting older tahn I thought.

Yes, ma'am.

But then again, it really doesn't matter. This is a matter that falls into the author's hands and the reader. So if you don't like 'em, that's swell. But it's not cool to question the methods of another author in their PM's. Like I said in another thread - doesn't affect you, so why do you care? ;)

-Krystal

7. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000

I have always begrudged the time it took. I'm always wayyy short on time. OTOH, it was nice to know that as many people as did ask for them wanted them.

? This one makes me scratch my head, because if they are lurking, and they don't post on your thread, how do you know they're there to send them one?

Once upon a time, I didn't know the conventions of the board, and when a couple of ppl asked for PM, I PM'd everybody who had ever replied to my story! I was lucky I didn't get reported. Won't do that anymore.

It would have been nice, but I was PMing a lot of people who never made contact with me again, either to reply to the story or ask for no PMs! I don't expect replies, because I'm busy and assume others are as well, but when people don't reply, it makes me nervous. Like the quality of my story must have really fallen off or something.

I may leave one unopened because I don't have time to read the story right then. When I do have time, the PM notification reminds me so I don't forget it.

I'm so busy I usually have time to do a quick check of the archive reviewer's board and this one every day and that's it. If I didn't get PM'd I'd never know when a story I'm reading gets updated. Plus I try to turn on "active topic notification" and it never works!

VERY. Couldn't do without them!

8. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006

Yes. With Lazy's multi-pm method, it's incredibly easy to send out multiple pms.

N/A

I have no problem with it at all. I don't consider pms a contract to post a response, and if a lurker asks for a pm and opens it, I at least know they are reading.

Definitely not. PMs are a courtesy I extend to my readers, not a contract with them.

Unopened PMs get the receiver bumped off the PM list. The board restrictions designed to prevent PM spamming make that necessary. However, I don't bump unless it's been forever since I sent them. Most people open theirs within a day, the rest within a week. I wait a month.

It means I don't have to hunt for the story or turn on active topic notification to see when it's updated.

Extremely helpful for stories in which active topic notification is impractical due to the number of regular reader replies. Those are usually the only stories for which I ask for one.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I don't mind - in fact, I actually like it when people ask for them - it means I've piqued their interest.

As a habitual Lurker myself, I'm fine with it. I understand that as often as not, I mean to reply later but forget.

No - it's presumptive, but if a story that I'm following looks a bit thin on replies, I'll double the effort to do it myself.

If I see a 'reader' replying everywhere but my post with an unopened PM - I'll drop them from my list until they request to be PM'd again. Sometimes that doesn't happen but Say-La-Vee.

Because I can be a scatter head.

Very if the author doesn't update regularly (like within 2 months)

10. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I thought we had agreed to make it a rule that you can't send PMs unless the reader requests it.

As for the questions, I don't always like sending PMs, and I don't always expect responses.

11. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006

I wouldn't call the process a big thrill or anything, but I'm flattered to be asked.

Fine with me. While I like getting feedback, seeing an author get snippy about lurkers usually means I'm more reluctant to read their work, much less comment.

See above. I'd hope for replies, but I'll live if it doesn't happen.

It hasn't come up yet, but I think I'd just skip sending another to someone who hadn't opened the PM by the time I update the story again. I figure one is probably enough. Unless they tell me not to, I'll probably pick them up again at the next update after they open it.

Actually, I don't ask for them myself. I'm not tracking enough WIPs closely for it to be necessary, and I know of too many authors who do regard it as a commitment that I don't want to make. (What to do about people who regard sending feedback a few times as making a commitment, I don't know. I've seen people say they want to know why someone quit reading, and I've seen people scorn readers who did tell them for the reasons they gave.)

Edited to add: SilSolo, you're right, but we're talking about the ones the readers have asked for.

12. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003

Yes. Knowing that someone actually wants to keep up with a story makes me incredibly thrilled and grateful, so it's no bother to me to send update PMs.

N/A

I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Well, replies are nice, and I always hope for some. But no, I don't expect them.

I won't send another one, unless the reader opens it or asks for PMs again.

Because I'm blonde and have a habit of losing and forgetting things. :p I will check on fics I'm following, but PMs just make it easier to remember.

Really, really, really helpful!

13. Rebel_Radio

Rebel_Radio Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006

Yes! Sometimes it's fun to insert a little humor here and there. :D

No, not really - maybe they don't like the update.

What about unopened PM's, how do you deal with those?

After about two unopened, the person is off the list until they open them.

I like receiving them because I can see if anything cool happened in stories that I'm interested in. :D

They're pretty helpful. That's just an opinion, though.

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005

I don't mind sending out PM's, especially after figuring out "the lazy persons" way to send them out in seconds. I'm also very flattered there are readers who don't want to miss an update.

N/A

Most of the time, I can't keep up with who I've send a PM to that hasn't replied so that doesn't bother me.

No - but it is nice when people take a minute to reply.

I will not send another PM to someone who hasn't opened a previous one. I don't see the point.

Most definitely. It's tough keeping up with stories, especially on the Saga board where things move pretty quickly and I want to make sure I don't miss a post to my favorite stories.

For me they are essential. I'm pretty busy and as I mentioned before, it's easy to lose track of a story here or there.

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

Sure. I don't really mind; I've got lists in a Word document for each story.

Fine, as long as they let me know. If a person on the PM list doesn't reply but has opened them, I take that person off.

Kinda, but as long as at least half the list replies, I'm cool :)

Take people off after a while; when they log back on, they'll know I've updated because of previous PMs.

Because I'm lousy at remembering what I've replied to, and even when I do, it's sometimes hard to track the stories down or to know when they've been updated (especally since many authors don't stick to a schedule).

Very very helpful.

16. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I'm gonna answer as a reader.

Do you as an author like sending them out? I've been accidentally put on PM lists a couple of times and it is very annoying. Yeah, theoretically all I had to do was let the person know and usually it would stop but just how bad is that author looking for readers that she slaps me on her list just cause I posted in her thread once or twice? There was one case where I had to tell an author repeatedly to take me off her list, I don't know if she was disorganized or what. A couple of times authors seemed hurt when I didn't want PMs, it was like I was rejecting them by not wanting constant reminders of when they updated. They were mostly the type that takes everything personally but I shouldn't have to console somebody or go to lengths to avoid possible hurt feelings o_O

If you don't send them out, why not? I never ask for them because I don't want them. I don't need help tracking stories I like. If I want to read your story, I will bookmark it and check it when it is convenient for me.

How do you feel about giving them to lurkers? N/A

Do you expect replies whenever someone requests one? That's one reason as a reader I don't want PMs. I would feel obliged to reply every single time and that interferes with my lurker mojo :p

What about unopened pm's, how do you deal with those? N/A

Why do you as a reader like receiving them? Explained my dislike above.

How helpful are they in really keeping track of stories? Not at all in my opinion. It's much more efficient to bookmark links so that I can go directly to each story to check when I have time. Sometimes I'm away for a good spell and I hate to think what all would build up in my inbox, coming back to such a mess would be intimidating.

17. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003

I don?t have a problem with it. It adds time to the update routine, but it means quicker reader replies, and everybody loves feedback.

I got the idea from oqidaun, but sometimes I like to spice up my messages and include sort of a little bonus treat there for the readers, such as in-character notification from one of my OCs that the fic has been updated, or something like that. I make a rather administrative part of an otherwise creative process fun to write in its own way.

Well, they are people too, although it does get harder to tell if they still want to be PMed or if they have stopped reading the story. But I figure a post-script that the recipient can request to be taken off the list works just fine to avoid spamming.

Some people don?t have time to reply, or just like to lurk. *shrug*

Well, most of the time it?s just a reader getting behind because of DRL or some other trifling matter. If there are a whole series of unopened ones, I imagine I?d hold off until they?re read, maybe shoot a differently titled message to ask if they want to stay on the list.

I used to not use them, but it?s so much easier than checking in on the threads constantly, particularly if a fic isn?t updated very often. I think I use them for all the stories I?m following now.

See above. :p

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Anyone who wants a PM for one of my stories is making my day. It means that they want to read the story. Until the wonderful lazy came up with the mass PM thing, it took a lot of work but now it's so easy that I don't mind at all.

N/A

As long as they open up the PM, that's fine. I don't mind lurkers at all. I would assume that every story on the boards has them. I know my hit/counter ratio over on ff.n is about 50 hits for every comment. In the tf.n Archives, it's closer to 200 hits/comment. So there are readers out there. We just don't know how many.

No. I don't expect a reply.

Ah, there's the rub. At first, I would keep sending out PMs even though they wouldn't always get opened but since learning that after 5 unopened, things get kind of locked, now if the person doesn't open up the last PM, then I don't send any more to that person.

Love them!!!! The authors are doing me a great favor by sending me PMs of their updates. I'm so busy that I barely have time to write never mind read all the stories that I'd like to read. The PMs help me keep track of what I was reading and enjoying. It also allows me to spread my wings further with reading choices. Since I don't have to worry any more about missing an update on the stories that I'm following, I can click on authors/stories I might not have read otherwise.

Very, very helpful. I know some people use bookmarks but I already have a long list of bookmarks for other sites so this is a way of getting updates. I'm quite happy with it.

I will say that ff.n does have a very nice feature for authors with stats so you can see the hits, whether your story has been put into other people's favorite stories, alerts, etc. Plus any reviews go right into your email which is lovely. Plus as a reader, you can get alerts to stories without the authors having to do it. Makes it easier. But I know that they can't do that here without coding changes. Oh, well..

Great questions, Layren.

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

It can be a hassle to send them out, especially if you have a large list. But as a writer who craves the responses, it's a task I gladly do. It is also a positive reminder that these readers like what I'm producing and care enough to personally be notified.

This is not a problem for me. If one or two of 10 people requesting Pms lurk, I chalk it up as the price of doing business. At that point, I'm getting what I want out of sending the PM in the first place.

Yes. I think most would.

I can't know why someone delays or never opens a PM. They could be on vacation or have lost interest in the story. C'est la vie. After an unopened Pm or two, I would add a little addendum to the note giving them an out. and after four or so, given i notice their absence, I stop sending them. If the reader is lurking, its on him to prove that he wants the PM.

I like to know when a story I'm interested in has been updated. It's as simple as that. It helps me keep track of stories without having to sift through pages of story postings to find my favorites.

100% For any given reason that I am aways form the Net for a period of time and the story falls pages down in the thread. I might not think it worth chasing. this way, I scratch the author's back and he scratches mine.

20. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005

Yes, and I really don?t mind spending the time to do it.

Doesn?t apply.

If they want PMs and ask for them I?ll send them out. Hey, they could still be out there reading. I just as might let them know that I?ve (finally) updated.

It?d be nice and I sorta count on it by I can?t say that I EXPECT it per se.

Well if the person hasn?t been on the boards to do so them well?they haven?t had a chance. RL can be crazy sometimes. However, if the person is on the boards regularly? eh? I kinda wish they would?especially when it concerns several un-opened ones. Just b/c of spam issues and such.

It tells me that a story I like has been updated so that I can just on the update :) Also b/c I?m one of those ppl who reads lots of stories at the same time it kinda reminds me about the dic (especially if it hasn?t been updated for a long time) so that I don?t loose it among all the others that I?m reading.

They?re rather helpful, really.

21. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002

Yes. They take time. But I love it.

I send them out. But I usually stop when a reader doesn't reply to 3 or 4 chapters.

I have no problem with it.

Hmm...sometimes.

This is my biggest pet peeve. It can get a little irritating. But I try not to let it bother me too much. People are busy. And there is of course DRL.

It let's me know when a story is updated. Without a PM, a story I like would go into skid row and I wouldn't know it was updated.

Beyond helpful. Super, duper helpful

22. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    My thoughts on PM's...

Yes, I do like sending them out...mostly because I like receiving them! They do take time to send, but that's all part of the process of posting a 'fic these days.

I wouldn't mind giving PM's to lurkers. I've never had any lurkers ask for PM's before, but I don't have a problem sending them PM's...so long as they actually open them!

No. A reply every once in a while would be nice...just so I know that I'm not boring them, or going completely off-track. Everyone likes to be told they did a good job, after all.

Personally, I really enjoy replying to other 'fics with every update! I like to put my opinion out there as much as possible...I have a big mouth...
    [face_blush]

*Sigh* This is what really bugs me... [face_frustrated][face_frustrated]

Not opening a PM (especially when you requested them), IMHO, is rude. If you ask a writer to go to the trouble of sending you a PM, the least you can do is open it! Too many unopened PM's are a hassel for the sender, so if I send out a PM a couple of times to someone and they don't open any of them, I stop sending them.
    After all, it's just a waste of my time if they don't bother to open them.

Mostly because I read that many 'fics on these boards that sometimes I forget which ones I've read. [face_blush] It's true. DRL is a real pain...I work two jobs, and write fan 'fic, so when I get home, my mind is kinda spinning and it's really hard to concentrate on which 'fics I've clicked on.
    I don't like hunting the boards...I do that to search for a new 'fic, but I like the ease of the PM system, so that I can read the new update as soon as it's up, and not when I remember to look for it. *Did that make any sense?? I'm a little tired, I-) so sorry if I'm rambling...

Very helpful! *See above*

I think that's everything! *checks again*

Sorry for my rambling!

Ant.
    ]-}

23. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    When I joined the boards, the pm thing was already around. I thought it was incredibly nice of the authors to tell me when they update, especially since my head does resemble a sieve very much. [face_head=sieve]

I started taking pms very seriously. For me it was a commitment and I only asked when I was willing to reply to each and every cupdate. I'm slowly getting over that notion now. Still I make a point (for myself) of it to reply at least every once in a while to let the author know I'm still there and appreciating.

Why? Because I'm a firm (though stupid?) believer in Kant's cathegoric Imperative: Do as you wish people to treat you.

I learned the hard way that just because somebody asked for pms, doesn't mean they'll reply every time. I try to tell myself it's not the quality of the story, but DRL, but, well, you know how it is. Darth doubt is eating you up.
    Still, I will keep sending pms until they get bumped back at me. I will then try again and if it keeps happening, you're off. DRL can be mean, but there should be the time to open some of them pms. Either to let the author send you some more or because you actually did some reading or whatever.
    So lurking is fine with me. As long as my pms get opened, I'm fine. (OK, I lie, I'd always LOVE to get comments, but let's play pretend....)

If you don't want any more pms, I'd always appreaciate to be told, because that super fast pm-sending for lazy people doesn't seem to work for me. (Not that I have long lists[face_blush] )
    I know that I, peronally would have problems with doing that, so I am careful with whom I ask. Maybe I should admit that I 'commandeered' the post of indexer of the Diary Challenge partly because now I'll get all those pretty pms, but I'm not really committed, am I?[face_blush]
    Getting angry because somebody doesn't want pms anymore is inappropritae, IMO. Even if I started out believeing it, pms should not be a contract or anything 'forcing' somebody to reply.

For me pms are a courtesy I offer to those who, like me, have a sieve on their shoulders or have DRL breathing down their necks.

I'll stop now, because I think I stopped making sense some time ago.:oops:

24. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    - I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm not so interested in sending them out. I agree with others that it's definitely flattering to be asked for a PM update, but when I write stories, I either have a schedule that is very regular that it would be superfluous to PM or else is so irregular that by the time I update again, I'm not sure if the reader even cares if I've written. In the latter case, I always feel like it's an imposition on the reader when I PM them. Some people might like getting the PM, others might no longer be interested and not care, but then there are also those who are no longer interested but might feel obligated to read because the author has sent a PM or at least guilty when they don't read. It's this last group that concerns me. They shouldn't feel compelled to read something they're not interested in just because the author has PM'd them.

- I figure if you're interested enough in my story, you'll read, PM or not.

- same as above

- No. People have written enthusiastic posts saying that they thought my story was wonderful and they loved it and then it turns out to be the last post I ever got from them even though I continued posting on my story for another three months. People lose interest all the time, which is their perogative.

- N/A

- Actually, as a reader, I never request them, and when I do receive them I'm generally quite annoyed because it's unsolicited.

- If I like a story enough to want to read it I won't need a PM to keep track of it.

25. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    Yay! A discussion of a particularly painful topic!

Yes. I always feel honoured when readers ask for PMs--it means that they like my story and wish to see more of it. I love my readers.

See above.

IMO, they can lurk without a PM.

Oh... that's quite a touchy subject for me. I simply expect people to do what I'd be doing myself--I see PM as some kind of a commitment, and if I ask for a PM, I review each time till the last chapter. But people are different... and I guess I'm old enough to accept the harsh reality. So, in short, I do hope that they reply. It doesn't have to be every time, though.

If someone doesn't open my PMs, I just growl silently--there isn't much I can do about it.

I stopped requesting for PMs lately because I've become a very unreliable reviewer due to the RL, and I don't want the author to send me three-four PMs that won't be opened in the near future. But when I get PMs for the stories I requested PMs for, I'm grateful for the effort that hides behind the message. Also, I'm looking forward to a portion of a high-class, entertaining reading I have before me. :)

I guess they are helpful if you read many stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.