main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Update Private Messages -- Waste of Time or Helpful Convenience? A Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Layren, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Do you as an author like sending them out?

Yes and no. I enjoy the ten minutes it takes to send out mine as way to come down from the excitement of putting up an update. But the downside comes with me (like most, if not all, authors) being a total feedback junkie and checking to see who all opened their PMs and when. But since I'm an author who has a sporadic posting schedule, I don't mind letting people know that I've had the time to update. I'm writing these stories for people to enjoy, and if means taking a little extra step for them to do so, then so be it.

How do you feel about giving them to lurkers?

I don't mind. I do admit that I would love for them to leave some feedback about the story every now and then, but I don't mind letting them know when I've updated. But I have no room to say anything negative about them since I usually lurk on half (or more) of the stories I read.

Do you expect replies whenever someone requests one?

I usually expect a reply for the first time their sent an update notice, but after that it's a toss-up. I'll take whatever comments I can get and if the reader doesn't want to leave one, then okay.

What about unopened pm's, how do you deal with those?

Once I get the notice about five unopened PMs, I usually try one or two more times before removing their name from my PM list.

Why do you as a reader like receiving them?

It's part of my American culture: instant gratification. And in case I get really busy, or just for some reason skip over an author's name when skimming a page, I want to make sure I get to read the new chapter as soon as I can.

How helpful are they in really keeping track of stories?

Are they helpful in giving a little reminder about what the story is about? No, but that's not what they're used for.

2. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003

Sure. But since I haven't had a continued story yet, only vignettes, I haven't really been tested in this regard.

If you don't send them out, why not?

N/A

If they're lurking, how can they ask to receive one?

Yes, to some degree. As I expect to reply when I get one.

I open all PMs I get. If the readers aren't opening it, it's their problem, not mine.

Because I don't always have the time to scroll through the thread lists and find the stories that I enjoy or were following. And I'm reading so many stories that keeping track of them is difficult.

Wonderfully helpful. Very helpful. Life-saving, in fact.

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002

I did it only a couple times to just a couple people, but it was exciting to know that people liked the story that much. And to soften the inbox clutter, I tried to make the PM funny. Tried. :p If/when I write more, I'd be happy to send out PMs to any number of people. Am I lazy? Yes. Would I grumble? Probably. But who am I to complain? I write to entertain people, and if I can't even inform them of entertainment that they asked to read, I'm pretty pathetic.

N/A

Lurkers are people, too. I don't question someone's reason to lurk, just as I don't question where someone went when he replied to the first post but not the rest. If they want to keep up with the story, they get a PM.

Nope. They'll reply if they want.

My thoughts have changed a lot on this issue after seeing how others feel. As a reader, I used to keep each and every PM sitting in my inbox. I knew how far behind I was, and I could catch up with the story one post at a time. Nice for the author, too - one reply for each post. But at the same time, I had an overflowing PM box. So I started keeping PMs for just the first and most recent posts I missed. Also, if I knew an author would send really funny update PMs, I'd keep them all and only open them when I could read the post, so I could also comment on the PM.

That's still a lot of clutter. Plus, I didn't realize how much the spam rule affects authors. Now I keep only one PM per story (the most recent one), so when I'm catching up I have two tabs open - one for the story, and one for the reply. That way I can easily comment on each chapter I've missed all at once. Only for my absolute favorite fics and authors I'll keep every PM, but that'll probably change as well.

As a writer, I'd stop sending after one or two unopened PMs. Once those got opened, I'd start resending along with a note at the bottom - something like, "Didn't want to clutter your inbox while you fell behind, etc etc etc."

Why do you as a reader like receiving them? How helpful are they in really keeping track of stories?

I can't even remember the clothes I wore yesterday. Occasionally I click on a story, read it, and realize I've already replied to it - three months ago! I used to have the time and patience - not just in RL but also on the boards - to check on stories everyday. But that was back when I read only two or three stories total. Now I have other priorities on the boards and a plethora of stories to read, and I'm always on the lookout for new ones. I may love a fic to pieces, but that doesn't mean I'll remember the title, author, or even the plot. Sometimes I get a PM, don't recognize any of the info, but once I click on the link I say, "Oh yeah! That one!"

Even when the author takes six months to post a new chapter, I'm all for the PM. God knows I'm not Miss Punctuality with updates. I'll wait for a post. Anyway, it'll take several PMs for me to remember what I'm reading unless it's a story I clicked on because a particular author is writing it. Nothing against the author, of course. That's just how my brain works.

I used to bookmark longer works, but I never remembered to check them, not when I had other board things to do or found new stories to follow.

And with some authors, the PMs are just one more thing to enjoy about the story. Exeter writes the most hilarious PMs (a Young Frankenstein spoof! It still cracks me up!). Luton_Plunder does the same. When authors do that, I let them know in my story reply how much I enjoyed them, because I really appreciate the extra energy spent on the PMs.

4. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    I'm only on one PM list but I don't actually need it, because I very well know which stories I read and finding them on Boards is pretty easy.

5. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005

I send them to anyone who asked for one on my story, especially since it's not a regulary updated fic.

My messages are basically the same, begging for forgiveness for the late update and telling them that if they're no longer interested, I'll understand, and end it with the link, because links are a beautiful thing. :)

With that done, I just copy and paste the message to each PM, adding something at the end to those readers I might know on a more personal level.

N/A

Anyone who asked gets one. It's not right to leave someone out because they don't reply. I don't reply regularly on some fics I read if I can't find something witty to say or have a thought that hasn't already been touched on by the other readers.

Nope.

I've never had someone not open the max number of times allowed so can't answer on that. But as far as not opening right away, my fic is probably not a priority on their list of things to do/read. Either that or they're still in shock that I've updated. Either way, they'll get to it when they can and I can't ask for anything more.

As a reader though I try to get to my PM notifications as soon as I can. It all depends on the story. If I know an author writes long updates I might save him for after a story I know might be shorter to read, especially when I'm at work. It's always when I get involved reading that someone actually wants me to earn my salary. :p

And if I see the story has updated again before I was able to open the first PM, I open the second and leave the initial one open, knowing what chapter I left off. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a story forgetting where I left off and scroll back looking for my icon/name.

That's just my preference. But I will try as a reader to be more aware of the author's PM box if I haven't opened up their PMs in a timely fashion.

I don't want to lose track of any story that I've started to read. And that can really happen to anyone, no matter how much they love the story.

But I will make sure to ask the author if they are getting a PM list going to please add my name. It's their choice to have one or not, not mine. And if they don't normally do that, I try to keep up without, either by saving the link under my favorites on my computer or by active notification (though I think it would be better to actively notify me of the user who posts, not the story every user posts to. Then I have a better chance of hitting the story by said user that I liked)

Very helpful since I can't even keep up with fics by authors I like to stalk. There's just too many. [face_tired]

6. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I love giving PMs to my readers. It's fun. They're always different, and often, the whole PM will change depending on which person I'm sending it to. Plus you can mess around, hint at stuff that's too much of a give-away to drop inside the actual thread, and so on. One of these days, I'd like to hide a little nonjoke inside one of my chapters, which would only funny to people who got a PM. That would be cool. Like a literary, comical "Where's Waldo"...

The first PM I ever recieved, as a reader, was for Oqi's "Burn!Burn!Burn!" which was unrequested, I think. Either that or she was actually PMing me to ask if I'd like to be PM'd. Something like that. All I had done at the time was write a gushy sort of condensed, caffinated review of all the chapters from her story that I'd caught up to. At the time, the story was so large, being halfway finished already, and so full of fans, that I didn't think she'd even notice, buried within the heaps of regular readers. Getting that PM gave me a feeling of, 'hey! she not only noticed, she actually cares!" which is nice.

It was also pragmatic. Aside from Burn!, I've followed a number of fics here, and many of them did not consistently stay near the top of the pile. Losing a really good story in a crowd of "ugh"-inducing pairing fics is really easy around here ("But Yod!" you exclaim, "Who wouldn't love to know what would happen if Tenel Ka got stuck in a love triangle with Jack Sparrow and Legolas???"), and I've had that happen a number of times. Plus, I'm terribly forgetful about PM requesting. So I actually find recieving unasked-for PMs to fics I've responded to, to be extremely helpful. And a little flattering too.

I never do it for my own fics, of course. Guidelines and all. But it always makes me cringe when someone posts a response to one of my stories, but doesn't ask to be added to the PM list. Because I'll always wonder..did he forget like I always do? Will he be able to ever find this story again, buried under the piles? Am I losing a potential reader, simply because a small, yet vital inquiry slipped his mind?

Anyone else feel this way?

7. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    **hangs head in shame**

My unsolicited PM has been outed! :eek:

What happened to our agreement to keep all those dirty secrets between us, Yod? :p

8. DarthSilious

DarthSilious Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2006

Yep, sure do. I consider it flattering that people like to keep up with my story and am more than happy to send them. The more I send the happier I am as that means more people are reading my story so I must be doing something right for some people.

Do send them so N/A for me. ;)

Wouldn't mind in the slightest. I would have no objection if all the people in my PM update list were lurkers. It's better than having no-one in it and it means that there are people wanting to read my story.

No but it would be nice to receive a reply. I don't get in a state about it though.

Not been an issue for me yet though one of the people on my PM update list takes a fair while to read them at times which has been a cause for concern.

I like to know as soon as a story has been updated. PM updates help there.

Very. I am reading so many stories, with quite a few of them being ones that are updated infrequently, that I wouldn't be able to keep track of all the stories I'm reading without them.

Darth

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    What I forgot to say.

Unopened pms, ones I get.
    It is not a bad sign with me. i probably read the update the moment I got the message, but leave it unopened because I'm procrastinating with the comment. [face_blush]
    They were probably not meant as reminders, but it works so well.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

NA as I've not written anything lengthy.

NA

In theory, if they're opening the PM, I'd like to think they'd be following along. I'm an enternal optimist. :p

Expect no, though a small blurb stating that they're still reading would be nice.

NA, but I have to say it drives me crazy to leave PM's unopened and unanswered.

See answer below.

I live for those PM's. Once upon a time, on a SW message board long ago, I followed a select group of friends and they mostly stuck to one of the fanfic boards. It was easy to check their fics for updates with PM's... mostly. [face_blush] There were still the occasional times I'd receive a PM to inform me that one of them had posted something, or as many of us vhatted via IM they'd let me know that way.

It was fine in those days. Now that I read a great many more fics on three didfferent boards, the PM's are an invaluable tool to keep me reminded what stories I'm reading. I can't imagine how many I've lost because I didn't use them.

I' also one of those that have learned not to open the PM until I know I've time to rad and reply. I've been known to open a PM and then forget to read when something else comes up. I don't think I've ever left an undate PM sit longer than 48 hours though.

For this I apologize to the writer's. I know many of you have multiple stories and PM lists that I could not even imagine. All of you are teh awesome for taking the time to alert forgetful old lady's like myself.

I really do love you all! [face_love] [:D] [:D]

11. Rhodna

Rhodna Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2006

Yes, it allows whomever is reading my story at that time to know precisely when the thread has been updated with anything new. A reader can use the 'Receive Notifications' option as well, but if we're talking about a very popular story (such as CrazyAni's very well thought-out Change of Fate), than that option is not a good idea - unless one wants to end up with a ton of notifications in the e-mail inbox! :D

N/A

No problem - if someone is opening the PM, then it usually means that they're tagging along for the ride, but are too shy to reply or don't have anything significant that they'd like to comment about.

No, I'm satisifed with the fact that they're reading - though sometimes I would prefer some costructive criticism or advice. :D

Usually, when someone doesn't open a PM that I have send for some time, I'm not all that worried - it could mean anything from boredom to Darth RL rearing it's ugly head - only Agni knows how many times it's happened to me: I was indisposed for a few days, onylt o wake up with a ton of PM's to sort through in my inbox! :p 8-}

They allow me to easily find out when a story I particularly like has been updated.

Without PM's, I'd probably have to:

a. Scour the boards constantly in search for an update, which can be tiresome;

b. Keep all the links to the stories stored somewhere and check them regularly, which isn't a great idea either. :p

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

If someone wants a little help in following a story, then I?m more than happy to provide it. Honored to, in fact.

N/A

I?m absolutely fine with it! I specifically invite lurkers to let me know if they?d like a PM. Just to know they?re enjoying my efforts is a reward in itself.

No.

If the PM from the last update is unopened, I simply don?t send another one until they let me know they?d prefer to be on the PM list again. That means there is only one unopened PM to that user.

With as many stories as I?m following, they are invaluable. I really prefer to spend my time on the boards reading stories, not searching for them. It doesn?t mean I don?t appreciate the author?s work, just that I?d rather be reading than searching. Why spend time looking for all those stories when I could be reading them?? That?s the point of the boards, IMHO. Reading and writing fan fiction.

Incredibly helpful.

13. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I've noticed a couple of people saying they prefer PMs over linking to a story themselves and I'm curious why. I would link to a story even if I was getting PMed so that I would be able to find a story and re-read it after it was finished if I felt the urge. It's not like it's hard to organize links or anything. I decided to count what I have and discovered I have 189 links to story threads. I keep them all in a "Star Wars stories" folder, from there I subdivide into more folders to keep things straight and it all works very well. I can look in my "watching closely" folder if I don't have much time and just want to check the stories in progress, cruise my favorite prolific authors finished works if I'm craving something specific (because if I find I have more than three stories by the same author linked then that author gets their own folder), look around my "done stories, Saga" or "finished stories, Beyond" for one-shot wonders, you get the idea. And of course there is a special folder just for "abandoned stories", those poor things that started out so well but the author gave up on for some reason :( There are some of those that are just too good to let go, even if we'll never know the ending.

So why do many people seem to feel linking is inefficient? :confused:

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nope. For me, it's a favor that I'm asking of the author. So if they don't want a PM with the stories I'm writing, that's perfectly fine with me. They will follow or not follow the story as they want. There are many reasons not to ask but the big reason is that it's their choice.

LOL, because it is, imho. To be following that many stories and to check through them (wading through all those reader replies) in order to get to the prize - the story - is very inefficient to me. With a PM, you are pretty much guaranteed to be near where the story has been updated and can just go right to it. (Sorry but a lot of the time, I don't have time to read all the other replies although I must admit that I read through the author's replies and if something interests me, I'll go back to the original post.). Plus if the person hasn't updated in a while, you could be checking frequently and getting nothing.

I'm glad it's working for you and, in the earlier days, I'd be doing the same thing. But I like PMs much better.

Actually, I was thinking about this earlier and that's what I originally thought active notification was for... [face_blush] Of course, I found out soon enough when I did it with some popular stories. Wow, you can get a lot of emails pretty darn quickly.

15. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'd be embarrassed to link the stories to my comp at work, where everybody can see it.[face_blush]

And if I really like the story, um, you didn't think I would NOT keep it filed away neatly in word?[face_whistling]

And if I get pms, I can access from any comp I might currently be at. Since I jump around between four of them (and only one belongs to me) pms are a neat thing.:D

And I do like the more personal parts of some of them.[face_blush]

And as I said before. They work wonderfully as a reminder to comment if you leave them unopened. You can find the fic one page one if you run reading immediately, too.:)

That's why I prefer them.

16. Shinar

May 30, 2002
    To be following that many stories and to check through them (wading through all those reader replies) in order to get to the prize - the story - is very inefficient to me.

I didn't say I was following that many stories, I said I had that many links. The vast majority of those links are to finished stories (hence the "watching closely" folder which only has about a dozen stories in it at the moment). And yeah, of course I have my faves saved on Word but it's nice to go to the threads because sometimes reader replies are just fantastic :D And back in the old days we really had some fun on those threads, it's hard to save that any other way than linking it.

Plus if the person hasn't updated in a while, you could be checking frequently and getting nothing.

Most stories I don't check all that frequently. If an author is a regular poster (say, every Wednesday) I'll probably make a note of it so I'll try to check every Thursday. If the author is not a regular poster that is fine, I don't have as much time online these days so I'll just check when I get a chance and feel like it which may only be once a month.

17. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm just skimming this thread, but I did want to answer this. The only multipart story I've posted here was well before the custom of PMing readers arose, so it's not something I've faced as an author. As a reader, though, I almost never ask for update PMs. In no way, though, does that indicate lack of interest in a story. Personally, I hate asking for notification PMs because, being from the old school of posting and reading, I can't shake the feeling that I'm inconveniencing the author by asking, and that it's my responsibility as a reader to keep up with stories. I realize that times have changed and the majority of the boards no longer see things that way, but as I said, it's hard for me to shake. And since I usually check my favorite board of Beyond several times daily, it's not often that I miss an updated fic anyway. So for me, the PMs are mostly superfluous, and I don't see the point of adding that small burden to the author.

Even if I slip into lurkerdom occasionally, that's nearly always due to the time constraints of DRL, not lack of interest. The vast majority of the time, I'm still reading the story. A PM notification one way or the other wouldn't make any difference in my ability to reply (which I always do if I can), so why put the author to that trouble?

And one more small reason I don't ask for PMs: My PM inbox is cluttered enough as it is. I keep up with quite a few people via PMs, and it's not uncommon for me to have to scroll through several pages to find a specific PM to reply to. I find it far more convenient to link to favorite stories or simply scan the boards than to add further to the bulk of my PM inbox.

So for those of you who do send out notification PMs, I hope you don't construe it as a lack of interest when someone doesn't ask to be updated. In my case, at least, it means nothing of the sort, and I doubt I'm alone in that. :)

18. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Do you as an author like sending them out? If you don't send them out, why not?

Not really. I usually don't have a lot of time and I haven't learned the easy method. The only time I've had a PM list was for my last fic. In the past, I remember one reader that I would PM when I updated because she rarely came to fanfic. I don't mind if it's for a reason like that. I always update the title bar and for people who are reading my story would have no trouble finding it.

I'm honored that people ask. It's just not something I like to do.

This pretty much falls in the above category.

To the PM - No. To the story - it would be nice, but I know that sometimes people can't reply to a story. RL cuts our time and I often find myself just reading and not replying.

I find them annoying. Why ask to be notified and then not open them? Once I realize PMs aren't opened I stop sending them.

As a reader, I rarely ask for PM unless it's a story that is rarely updated or has a small readership where the fic falls too quickly for me to find.

Not at all helpful for me. I browse the boards almost everyday and I can usually find what I'm looking for.

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    On my old computer I had two bookmark folders for fanfic - one for TFN, one for racier off-board stories. TFN was split into Before, Saga, and Beyond. If I came across an interesting story but couldn't read it at the time (too long for one sitting, or not enough time for a couple chapters), I would bookmark it.

The problem was that at the time, I had other things to take care of just on the boards, so I would forget to check the bookmarks folder. Plus, when I'm looking at my brower I see the menu title, but I don't see the folder name. It's out of sight, so I don't remember anything that's in it, or why I saved anything within. This probably explains why my room always has papers and junk lying all over the floor. :p Once in a while I bookmarked my absolute favorites just to always have the link on hand, but those are mostly off-board stories.

It's the same thing with scouring the boards. I don't even remember the fic's name, much less that I should hunt through the forums for it. And that's because nothing I see reminds me of the fic.

Now every time I log on, I see that I have PMs. No matter what I'm doing, I have a visual reminder that someone's updated a story.

20. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I sent update PMs back in 2003 when there were four active forums (and most ongoing stories kept going in Classic rather than moving after the split) and it was easy to lose track of which fics were in which forum because all four moved quickly. Fanfic was a lot more active then in the post-AOTC/pre-ROTS-spoilers boom. As well, at that time often didn't keep to a regular posting schedule like I do now.

Once the boards chilled down, though, I stopped sending updates in about January of 2004. My stories were on the Saga board and tended to not fall further than the fourth or fifth page between posts. Most of the readers on my update list said they didn't really need the PMs to find the story (and its updated title bar), so I decided I would rather spend my time writing - and reading and replying at other people's stories - than sending out PMs.

I suppose if I updated my stories infrequently, or if I cared about maximizing replies to each post, I would send them. The last three stories I've posted (not counting viggies) had a regular posting schedule (once a week on a certain day of the week), and I always updated the title bar to announce the new post. I averaged ~15-20 replies per post, some from a core group of reply-to-every-post readers, some from readers who reply off and on when they had time. All of them seemed to be able to find the thread and the new post easily enough. So I don't think update PMs are necessary for my stories.

If a person can't be bothered to post a one-line reply to my story, even once or occasionally, why would I be bothered to send them a PM every week?

N/A

N/A

I don't request them as a reader. I can find stories I like without the hassle to me (clogged inbox) or the authors (wasted time better spent writing or reading/replying).

They're unnecessary. I read a lot of viggies, but I don't need a PM from an author to see their name on the Author column and click on the thread. For the ongoing stories I follow, I don't find it very complicated to remember the story title or author's name, so I just look for title bar updates and click.

I'll be honest, though, I rarely follow an ongoing story that doesn't reliably have updates at least once a week or once every two weeks. When the story is finished I may check it out, but if the author's not going to commit to delivering story, I'm not going to commit to reading along.

The same principle applies to why I don't send update PMs to my readers. I stick to a regular weekly posting schedule and always update my title bar. Thanks to the posting schedule, no one has to wonder if there will be a long gap between posts; there's reliably a new post every week. So all a reader needs to do is find the thread (and check the title bar if they forget which day of the week it is I update on). But if they can't remember the title of my story, or that I'm the author, well, then I have to wonder. Do they even remember my posts? If they need a PM to find my thread, why should I think they remember what happened in last week's chapter? If they don't, what's the point of reading? My stories are not a series of random, vaguely connected scenes involving the same characters. There is plot development and character development, themes, symbolism, foreshadowing, and all kinds of other interconnections between the posts. If a reader is following so many stories they can't keep track of the titles and authors, then I really doubt they're keeping track of my story's prior posts. Instead, they're probably just reading each new post on its own terms, independently, in every story they read. I suppose someone could pick up Allegiance and jump rig

21. Shinar

May 30, 2002
    One thing just occurred to me, many authors who send out PMs post their PM list on their story thread so people can make sure if they want to be on there or not. Those lists are frequently very long, you can see there are tons of people getting the PM and it's also easy to look at replies and see who's actually replying or not. Call me old fashioned but if my name is out there, I don't want it to be publicly obvious I know the story is updated but still can't seem to reply. I'd feel like a lazy bum :p

22. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005

Oh, I wouldn't have it any other way. I update irregularly, so, my PM's and my tagline are the only clue I've updated. Not to mention that it's a way I can be nice to my readers.

N/A

I don't mind it, but I prefer a little feedback every now and then.

At least intermittent responses, either by post or PM is preferred, at least to let me know you're still reading.

If a reader hasn't opened four PM's for a fic, I assume they've stopped reading and drop them from the list until and unless they open two of them.

It lets me keep track of the stories I'm reading.

They're great, especially for the stories that are updated irregularly.

23. Darth_Father-in-law

Darth_Father-in-law Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005

Yep. I think it's great that someone wants to know when my story is updated. Kind of an ego-boost to me as a writer.

No problem! What I hate, though, is that people don't open their PM's.

I excpect that they reply sometimes, but it doesn't have to be regular. Like I said, lurkers are quite fine.

I don't like it at all. Why can't one ask to be removed from the PM list?

I'm a terrible reader, always late and coming with all kind of excuses. Without PM's I would never keep track with all the stories I read, and I would totally forget some stories. It would be awful. And PM's give me an impression of what the author is like. It's fun.

Very, very helpful. I love PM's.

24. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Betrayal is in my nature, Oqi. Sorry. I'm a natural-born mercenary. :p

Gabri-Jade, I wish every reader on these boards was like you. That would be wonderful. And Darth Lex, it would truly be an ideal situation if readers were as vigilant as you suggest. But I know how I think, and I'd need five hands to count the number of times I've gone "Man! There was this one fic I remember reading where this-and-this-and-that started happening and I was like 'ohh, cool!' but I can't remember who wrote it, or maybe I do but I don't remember the title, and thanks to the fact that I never asked for a PM, it's dead to me."

And so that's basically where I'm coming from. Perhaps it's just a case of everyone else here having a better memory than I. Somehow I doubt that.

25. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005

o_O

[face_mischief]

;)

[face_not_talking]

O:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.