main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Lol really? Can I get a source on that?

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm surprised they're announcing this series so early, given that the quote from Benioff and Weiss implies they won't get started on it until next year.

3. Darth Durge

Darth Durge Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2018
    Okay... but when do those movies get released, assuming Disney sticks to the "only one movie a year" schedule? Are we going to start seeing multiple films per year?

4. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    100% thats what will happen.

5. Lomesa

Lomesa Jedi Knight star 2

May 13, 2016
    http://grantland.com/features/the-return-hbo-game-thrones/

There you go.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Me to. It is so far away it almost seems redundant to announce it especially with RJ’s trilogy.

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    They made Sansa be tortured by a psychopath and used it to Theon's manpain. And why Lucasfilm keep hiring white men? What about people of color as director, producer and screewriter? There's no women directing or writing a star wars movie and Rian & D&D get TRILOGIES

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They sure weren't thoughtful to Sansa's character, or Stannis, or Loras Tyrell, or Jaimie Lannister, or any character from Dorne aside from Oberyn Martell, etc.

Jedi Jessy They also ignore the larger context for why that plotline made sense in the books, and they had no real payoff for it at the end either.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Jedi Jessy and Lomesa like this.
  9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Theon was tortured by the same psychopath and an um important part of his body was removed. Anyway, I don't think this level of awfulness would enter into the Star Wars movies. Maybe some people enjoy watching such things, but I would imagine most of us really don't.

I thought they did pretty well with Sansa and Jaime. But again I've not read the books. Stannis and Loras weren't very important characters to me and I didn't pay them much attention.

By thoughtful, I kind of mean that when you see them in interviews they usually have a good amount of thought behind everything they're doing. Whether one likes their thoughts is perhaps another matter.

10. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    OK, I did not expect them to announce another Star Wars series.
    I never watched Game of Thrones because I heard of all the violence, rape and incest in that series as well as their habit of regularly killing of main characters (even ones that are fan favourites). Such storytelling is just not my cup of tea.
    But on the other I doubt that we will ever see GoT-levels of violence and sex in Star Wars (I usually don't mind sex scenes, but depicting rape and incest is a step too far).

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I guess I think it would also be interesting to look at B&W in terms of what movies they have done and which things they came up with independently that didn't have a book series. I often don't like book-to-movie adaptations in general when I've actually read the books.

12. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Subverting expectations is the in thing now, so I'm guessing we'll get Mamma Mia In Space.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If their STAR WARS films are somehow even 1/8 as rapey as their GoT content, we can publicly crucify everyone involved then.

Keep the actual context here. LFL makes films for all generations. Regardless of the Filmography of directors they hire.

Semi-related: Shazam! is in production and is described as "BIG meets Superman", which is perfect for the character. It is being directed & written by a bloke whose filmography is little more than multiple R-rated horror films. I cannot imagine SHAZAM! containing scenes of blood shooting out of people's eye sockets or intense demonic possession.

Yes, it is fully reasonable to react to news. But, this cannot become a stable which houses nothing aside from a dead horse being beaten. The horse isn't dead yet. We don't even know what the horse actually is. Here is what we do know. It is STAR WARS. Not Game of Thrones. Let's see what this actually turns into before burning it for witchcraft.

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    A story about people singing and getting married? *gags* ???

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that Kiri Hart is black and has been producer on Rogue One, TLJ and now Solo...

Beyond that, why shouldn't they hire these guys?
    Equality doesn't mean that you have to fulfill some sort of quota. There has been no word on who will direct these new movies, nor has there been any word on who will write and direct the second and third part of Johnson's trilogy, yet here you are, already assuming that it is definately going to be only white men. How about you wait until there is actually a clear picture of what is happening, instead of pre-emptively whining about it?

It's also kind of weird to claim to want diversity and equality, yet at the same time go out and define people who get hired by their gender and skin colour. Nothing wrong with asking for more women or people of colour to get a chance, but you go quite a bit beyond that...

16. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Bob Iger just said on a conference call that Benioff and Weiss are “focused on a point and time in the Star Wars mythology and will take it from there”...KOTOR!

Trikuza23 and rorow1 like this.
  17. Lomesa

May 13, 2016
    It's not about them portraying that awfulness per se, its more about how they handle those topics. For example, in the scene where Sansa was raped, they cut away to Theon, placing the focus on him and what he was feeling, instead of Sansa. And the thing is the rest of that plotline adds absolutely nothing to Sansa's character at the end. Its pointless. You could have left off from that moment at the end of season for when she comes out dressed in black, apparently no longer a pawn, but a player.

For me, they seem mostly concerned with execution of the practical stuff and the actor's performances, but character wise and plot wise a lot of their stuff make very little sense.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I love GOT & can't wait to see what these guys come up with ,

I think we've got a big chance now to see The Old Republic - either these guys or Rian will do it ,

Looks these movies will take over from the Saga movies & we will get one a year from 2021 to 2026 ( Rian & the GOT team rotating )......

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I do think it's a shame we're getting two white dudes again, so I'm hoping the directors and crew they pick will at least be diverse, but I like GoT and I think they will do a good job. I also don't expect them to bring the most problematic aspects of GoT or Confederate to the SW universe.

TK327 likes this.
  20. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Star Wars until weary

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I really hope so!

22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Considering the ST maxed out the sexual innuendo at two young adult opposites attract Force users in a hut together after a ton of pent up stress with only Kylo Ren taking off his leather glove and touching skin-to skin with Rey’s willing hand...

I don’t think people have to worry too much about GoT levels of adult content to be honest.

Lucasfilm didn’t even chance a vulnerable kiss between Ben and Rey in that moment after holding hands and being close. Things are still pretty PG on that front. Like Beatles songs in the 1960s.

Oh yeah I tell you somethin'
    I think you'll understand
    When I say that somethin'
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    Oh please say to me
    You'll let me be your man
    And please say to me
    You'll let me hold your hand
    Now, let me hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    And when I touch you
    I feel happy inside
    It's such a feelin' that my love
    I can't hide
    I can't hide
    I can't hide
    Yeah, you got that somethin'
    I think you'll understand
    When I say that somethin'
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand

I’d be very surprised if this was anything more than PG-13.

23. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I haven't read all 7 pages of posts so far. I totally expect to be flamed for this, possibly warned by the mods, but in the immortal words of the great John Wayne "this is getting to be re-god-damn-diculous".

Yes yes, call me a Lucas fanboy. Say "nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans", I've heard them all. My point here is this is blatantly Disney/Lucasfilm handing out the Star Wars label to anyone in Hollywood to have their way with it. It's perverse IMO. I know, no one asked for my opinion. In the early days we were so delicate with JJ Abrams, hoping he would hold true to "Star Wars". Now basically it's a "whos who" in Hollywood, anyone with a trendy show is getting a shot at the franchise.

It's finally hitting me what Uncle George was going through. He knew he couldn't live forever and carry the franchise forever. His thought must have been Disney could be the best custodian for it. I know he got his big check, and his stock, but I can't help think "so this is how it goes down?" Over saturation. It's just too much. And yes, I know, I don't have to watch these films.

24. Lomesa

May 13, 2016
    I think we're the opposite in that regard. I love adaptations. I come from fandoms with multiple versions of the same story and I really appreciate the diversity adaptations bring with them. GoT is one of a couple of exceptions I've encountered.

25. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    Lol, I don't think people seriously think there will be graphic sex scenes and rape in SW because of a show they produce on HBO.

Yora, wobbits and oncafar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.