main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Updates from the Old Folks Home?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm wondering if we could get some regular updates from the Old Folks Home. Perhaps not as regularly as the JC Comms MS Update but maybe bi-weekly or monthly?

Right now there are many info threads that seem out of date and could use a polish. Plus the boards in general have had a great many new users join. I believe it would be good to have a listing of the FF Administrative Staff and Structure that is up-to-date.

Just my .02 plus inflation ;)

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, the architecture (sp?) is being updated as we speak. It's part of the new JC/FF TOS and rules that we're all working on.

I think OFH updates have been brought up before and vetoed, but I can't say for sure. We definately don't have enough news for weekly updates, even biweekly would be bare. Monthly might be doable, but that's not just my call to make.

What threads do you think are out of date? The FAQ's last I checked weren't too bad out of date, I don't know about the board custominations though, I don't look in there very often.

Also, I'm glad to see FF Comms getting a little action. Not that I want it to move like JC Comms does, but nonetheless.

3. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Mostly the last time I went through the threads such as CR Code of Conduct, FF FAQ, etc. it seemed rather old and outdated. I believe it might help to stimulate interaction between fan forces if different things that are happening are posted such as when Rhode Island had a sock game (not that I have any socks) O:) :p or something like that.

Also, a Staff Org Chart would be just swell ;)

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll take a look at those and see. Staff org is coming I promise!

5. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Honestly, most of the things we discuss are either not releasable to the public (problem users, drama between chapters, etc) or will be released as a new policy or procedure when it's ready. There's almost nothing out of those two catagories that could be communicated through a regular update.

6. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm just thinking that it could be a way to have some interaction between the fan forces and let people know what is going on. Really, most folks are unaware of this forum and will mistakenly go to the JC Comms to discuss a FF issue.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That actually brings up a different problem all together, if no one knows about the forum how will they read an update at all? Maybe we should think of ways to promote our FF boards (ie Comms, Community) and encourage more posting here as a general rule. More OFH issues have been mentioned in MS updates lately, so that's a step in the right direction in my opinion at least.

I'm not saying yours is a bad idea at all, just that FF admin and community boards have limitations over all.

8. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I think that Dujuan has the best idea - that we promote the forums so that people know their existance.

As I said, there is just nothing much that we could release in an update that we're not going to post here when it's ready anyway. Honestly, there's nothing. We either discuss problems with or from users and chapters that we can't release or we discuss policy changes that will be posted here or in the relevant forum once we have some idea of what they're going to be.

9. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Perhaps (and yes I know this involves coding) putting in a link to the FF Comms forum in the chaper forums and also makes the CRs aware of this would be a good step.

Also, there are some fan forces that have sister fan forces. How about getting an adoptions program for fan forces? Older, more established fan forces could adopt newer ones. I know I was most impressed with the Chicago Fan Force at C3.

I'd also love to talk to the Tucson CR about hosting a sock fest. (Yes, I know, me and my socks :p) When we did it with Rhode Squadron it was a blast as I have previously said.

These are just a few ideas I have because I've always believed that FF is a great way for people to make long lasting friendships. :D

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Sorry for the double post but as my last post on this subject was almost a month ago perhaps I'll catch some leniency.

I read the MS Update today and found out that a contest is being worked on for the fan forces.

This is one of the reasons I think we should have updates from the OFH. None of the fan forces are even aware that this is being worked on and yet it was announced by the MS in this week's update.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Your CR should. There is a thread in the CR forum about it. Your CR is the one that is responsible to keep you updated. You should be asking them about it. If they haven't said anythign to your chapter about it then it is there fault. Plus I don't actually think the plan for the fund raising effort is done to be officially posted outside of private forums. I can't emphasize how important it is that each individual Chapter Rep keeps it's members informed.

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004

OK, first off the Tucson CR is brand new and has been working her butt off.

Second, why would she update us if it is as you said in your post:

My question is WHY was this announced in the MS Update and not here? Why was it ok for MS to announce it but the OFH hasn't seen fit to announce it to the people who can really get a grass roots effort organized meaning each individual fan force?

I know there is a history of poor communication on between MS and OFH and that is one of the reasons I am suggesting that there be more interaction in this forum.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    The MS update mentioned something was in the works, (or they should have), it's not done yet. As soon as it is something will be announced.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    She could have just mentioned it in passing on your boards, I can't answer for someone Idon't know. I don't know if you noticed as of late but FanForce info has been inching it's way into the Mod Squad update for weeks now. Little snipits like the latest one are put in there as a courteousy nothing more. Some JC mods do it, others don't. If there is something the FF mods deem fit for posting in here they do so. Like it has been said many times before...there isn't enough that goes on behind the FF scenes to post updates, we tried.

I didn't mean to offend you or anything by what I said, it is the truth. Communication between a Chapter Rep and the members of his or her group is vital. I can understand the commitment that needs to be made, I was a CR for almost 3 years before I stepped down.

15. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, what I'm really trying to get at is now that the cat is out of the bag because it was announced in the MS Update, can the general populace of FF know what is going on?

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    As soon as the details are all hashed out yes!

17. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, now that I'm getting word back from the Tucson CR it was she who made the challenge to the other fan forces.

Please understand that I am frustrated at the lack of communication and the apathy about fundraising for the Hurricane.

18. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    First, the details of the contest are indeed still being worked out. However, that has not stopped any of the FF's from doing fundraising efforts (including my own). Our group really doesn't care what our status will end up being in the contest. We started trying to figure out something last Wednesday. We have gotten through all the red tape at this point and now have our fundraising efforts underway.

As to there being any apathy regarding fundraising, if there is any it is within each FF, but not within the global organization. FF is not going to say, "Okay start donating to the Red Cross and keep track of how much you donate." We're smarter than that. Most folks realize that people differ on what charities they like to give too. I know in my group most folks are only luke-warm about giving to the Red Cross. There are other charities our group prefers. For that reason it makes perfect sense why a large scale definitive effort has not been started. Trust me when I say several of the FanForce's are already out there working to help Katrina victims, and many more are sure to follow.

19. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    As stated above and in the CR forum, the contest has not yet been finalized, and it merely to reward the various chapters for their efforts, not really to organize a single drive or push.

In my travels I've seen several chapters posting threads about making donations, so I know that people are doing things, the problem is mostly that many chapters are thinking 'locally' and are in fact acting. :)

~H~

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Hi, guys. I've got a blurb about this in MS update tomorrow morning that states "Fan Force will be running a contest to see who can raise the most money for victims of Hurricane Katrina. See your CR, RSA, or GSA for more details on how you can help."

Is this okay? If not, let me know as early as you can in the morning. I'd like to get it up around 7:00 am Board Time. (Pacific)

I've included a link to Fan Force General.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.